FAA question... 400 feet ?? But what if...

Reaction score
How high are we allowed to fly? I think I recall hearing 400 feet per FAA rules... is that right?

Also, if I'm flying this from the top of a 200 foot hill... I believe the iPhone app will show that as "0" altitude, right? Or is it supposed to show the actual altitude above sea level? I can't recall, but I'm pretty sure the app was showing me how hi the Phantom was above ME (not sea level)... in which case, what is the FAA rule?

thx.

Not sure about what the FAA actually says as I'm across the pond. However, in aviation terms "height" means height above the ground where you are, "altitude" means height above mean sea level. If they refer specifically to a height restriction then whatever you're standing on is your zero point.

FAA's RC Position is outlined in Advisory Circular 9157

400' AGL (above the surface) is a "Recommended" maximum height, along with some other "Recommendations". This is not a law, but a recommendation.

There are other rules that are not "Recommendations" but "Rules" that gives the Fed the power to fine and prosecute if you if your flying endangers other people or property irregardless of your altitude.

FAR Sec. 91.13 — Careless or reckless operation.

(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

The FAA is currently working on more modern rules for suavs (Small uavs), and plan to have something issued by 2015. You can search around and find tons of info on this in other forums as it is a big deal for fpv, multirotors and rc in general.

The AMA and FAA have suggested, in addition to the 400' ceiling, performing line-of-sight flying only and not over populated areas.

thanks for all replies. Why, however, does my unit show "0" on altitude when it's on the ground... even if that ground is 200 feet above sea level?? Shouldn't i see the altitude above sea level in my iPhone Vision app?

race3 said:
thanks for all replies. Why, however, does my unit show "0" on altitude when it's on the ground... even if that ground is 200 feet above sea level?? Shouldn't i see the altitude above sea level in my iPhone Vision app?

I think giving altitude relative to ground is much more usefull then from sea level, you want to know how high you are relative to your home location getting indication above sea level would just make it more confusing. You would need to memorize your start altitude to get the much more relevant above ground height for control purposes.

Until that time remember YOU as the pilot are responsible for anything that happens while the aircraft (vehicle, apparatus, flying machine lighter than air or glider) is in flight. The folks over at the FAA are very helpful and nice people but have absolutely ZERO sense humor when it comes to safety. If you are the unlucky first person to cause an "incident" in the United States they will make an example of you! Fly safe my Friends :)

C..
A Lucky Person who deals with the FAA everyday :)

Dave Pitman said:
FAA's RC Position is outlined in Advisory Circular 9157

400' AGL (above the surface) is a "Recommended" maximum height, along with some other "Recommendations". This is not a law, but a recommendation.

There are other rules that are not "Recommendations" but "Rules" that gives the Fed the power to fine and prosecute if you if your flying endangers other people or property irregardless of your altitude.

FAR Sec. 91.13 — Careless or reckless operation.

(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

The FAA is currently working on more modern rules for suavs (Small uavs), and plan to have something issued by 2015. You can search around and find tons of info on this in other forums as it is a big deal for fpv, multirotors and rc in general.

Yeah, most governmental workers are disgruntled, unhappy, miserable jerks who disgorge their misery upon anyone they care to with impunity by abusing the power given to them by their "position." Are you just now waking up to the fact that your government has been spying on you and has spent >>BILLIONS<< of your own tax dollars in a 40 year long "drug war" in which tens of thousands of our countrymen - full-blood American citizens - have been jailed (sometimes for decades) for harmless, trivial **** like smoking pot for example?

NONE of these government-types, officials, or law-enforcement folks are your friends. The only safe recourse is to assiduously guard everything you reveal on-line and to assume they have data-mined it for all it's worth and are aware of every word and deed you have ever published on-line. You voluntarily put it out there, and you have given up your expectation of privacy.

PF

justsomeguy said:
PhantomFan said:
NONE of these government-types, officials, or law-enforcement folks are your friends. The only safe recourse is to assiduously guard everything you reveal on-line and to assume they have data-mined it for all it's worth and are aware of every word and deed you have ever published on-line. You voluntarily put it out there, and you have given up your expectation of privacy.

{set to the tune of black helicopters hovering over a well-stocked bunker}

Still waiting for these "government-types, officials, or law enforcement folks" to break down my door after revealing this transgression more than a decade ago.

gauges.jpg

Seriously dude, get both hands back on the wheel...and punch it!

JSC:

Flying on the ground, eh?? Nice! :lol:

PF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20