3DR Solo

Yeah, the tx is very nice - ergonomic and light - feels great in the hands.

I was rushing down a six lane highway last night to get to BB, looked up and there was a flippin' Phantom headed straight up the freeway, about 20 feet above our heads! There was a kid on an overpass flying his damned drone against traffic! He was actually below the level of the overpass he was flying from.

Okay! First flight in the books. Everything went very good with no hiccups BUT I can say without a doubt that the P3A holds its position on a windy day MUCH better. The SOLO was pushed around and drifted in altitude with 12to18 mph winds a bit more than the P3 which I took up right after the SOLO.
I didn't really push the SOLO because I don't have a gopro so no FPV and it was kind of hard to see the LED's against the sky so, I found orientation a bit on the difficult side but I'm sure the more I fly it the easier it will get.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yeah, the tx is very nice - ergonomic and light - feels great in the hands.

I was rushing down a six lane highway last night to get to BB, looked up and there was a flippin' Phantom headed straight up the freeway, about 20 feet above our heads! There was a kid on an overpass flying his damned drone against traffic! He was actually below the level of the overpass he was flying from.

Oh that's just GREAT!!! Unfortunately it's only a matter of time before something really bad happens with one of these. Especially now that any little brat can cry to their parents at Best Buy and get one after this weekend!

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Oh that's just GREAT!!! Unfortunately it's only a matter of time before something really bad happens with one of these. Especially now that any little brat can cry to their parents at Best Buy and get one after this weekend!
If I hadn't of been rushing to BB to get my own drone, I'd have circled back around and trapped the kid up there - it is an overpass to a dead end street. Then I would have had a nice educational talk with him about safety and where it is appropriate to fly.

Sorry to hear that the Solo isn't as stable in the wind as the P3. Can't wait to try mine out. The problem a few have had with the app losing connection is pretty concerning too.

Reactions: AmosMoses
The Solo is a little more complicated than the P3, with many settings and levels of expertise. Out of the box it is "dumbed down" for amateur users. This could be why you are getting slight drift, the reaction times are in limp mode.

The Solo is a little more complicated than the P3, with many settings and levels of expertise. Out of the box it is "dumbed down" for amateur users. This could be why you are getting slight drift, the reaction times are in limp mode.
First thing I did was turn it up to 100 or rabbit. Not my first rodeo. ;) Out of the box it's definitely dumbed down.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok, it's been a few months since I posted that our Schools tech dept. was going to buy a drone for our Video Production dept. But I said I would let you guys know how it went. And so this is the update. We did end up buying the 3DR SOLO.....love it! It's a very sophisticated flying machine! We really like alot of the neat settings and features....granted I only had a P1 so I KNOW it's not apples to apples, but this thing definitely has way more options and features....not saying the P3 probably isn't comparable...(not trying to start any arguments or debates here), just giving our opinion on it. We've used it in several different ways here at school, with our Football team practices, the Band, during a Group picture of all the Sr's....and a few other things....and we really haven't even scratched the surface of the SOLO's capabilities. The 3DR's App works very well with the drone and the GO PRO, I was very impressed with this....I've noticed zero lag in video feed at all out to 400 feet. We ran into some road blocks with the AAA, on regulations for sporting events that we wasn't expecting....but oh well, probably for the best. BUT, overall we REALLY like the 3DR SOLO and are EXTREMELY HAPPY with our choice to buy it!!

Ok, it's been a few months since I posted that our Schools tech dept. was going to buy a drone for our Video Production dept. But I said I would let you guys know how it went. And so this is the update. We did end up buying the 3DR SOLO.....love it! It's a very sophisticated flying machine! We really like alot of the neat settings and features....granted I only had a P1 so I KNOW it's not apples to apples, but this thing definitely has way more options and features....not saying the P3 probably isn't comparable...(not trying to start any arguments or debates here), just giving our opinion on it. We've used it in several different ways here at school, with our Football team practices, the Band, during a Group picture of all the Sr's....and a few other things....and we really haven't even scratched the surface of the SOLO's capabilities. The 3DR's App works very well with the drone and the GO PRO, I was very impressed with this....I've noticed zero lag in video feed at all out to 400 feet. We ran into some road blocks with the AAA, on regulations for sporting events that we wasn't expecting....but oh well, probably for the best. BUT, overall we REALLY like the 3DR SOLO and are EXTREMELY HAPPY with our choice to buy it!!

Your one of the few, me I couldn't return mine fast enough to BB. It had all kinds of issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues