3D building mapping, Drone Deploy or DJI GS Pro?

Reaction score
Anyone got any links or tips for using Drone Deploy for 3D mapping of a building? Is it better than DJI GS Pro? I want to try it on a building but I don't know where to start. Any ideas folks? Thanks

I have done one 3D map of our house using PIX4D, free trial, way too expensive for me to ever own. The advantage of Pix4D is you can process on your lap top, it worked really well. I tried Drone deploy yesterday but I had SD card issues and but the time I worked it out the light had all but gone. Today I will be mapping my neighbour's house and a large dam behind our property. The only thing with Drone deploy is you cannot stitch the maps together on your pc, it has to be uploaded to their system and they do it for you. I think this limits editing options. The big thing with mapping buildings ect is to make sure you set the height of the drone to enable it to miss trees and power lines that may be in the area, I flew mine above the heighest obsticle and set that height as the minimum within the mission map. It is really easy to use, give it a go! just be sure you keep your eye on your bird and if anything goes wrong just switch to sports or atti mode to gain control.

Thanks for the info man. Yeh, PIX4D looks awesome, but wow! Those prices are high!
I'm going to try something simple with nothing around it to see how it goes, I'm more curious than anything. Cheers for your help [emoji106]

Hi there,
Not tried Pix4D only Drone Deploy. It takes a little practice. If you want to do buildings I suggest not to use the DD app to take the pictures. If you want to do a terrain 3D map then DD is fine. The reason being is that it takes vertical shots only and a 360º final shot if that option is ticked. I use Litchi to take 3 x orbits at 50M, 30M, and 15M (if you can with obsticles) at a 45º angle to the object. I then go directly accros the top of the building doing manual vertical shots and then manually captured difficult to reach areas. I then just upload them as a new mission on the DD app and send off for stitching.... Takes time and practice. The attached link consisted of 250+ photos of a church here in the UK. I think it works well and is quite impressive. I agree that it is a pain leaving the stiching in a cloud based app - and also the smallprint means DD can use you designs! This can be concerning if the model is of a sensative building (security review of an estate) or a mining project.... One advantage of DD (in my PoV) if you go for the paid option is you can you pay for it on a monthly basis meaning you can clump your jobs together and pay $99 for a one off (just remember to cancel your subs...).
Hope that helps and let me know what you think of the model....
1498812144_MJHULMEOPENPIPELINE by DroneDeploy - 3D model
Cheers
Mike

Hey Mike, had a look at your model, looks great!
I still have not tried Drone Deploy it sounds like alot of work using Litchi. I must say I did like Pix4D, it was really easy to use and the results were great. Since my original post I have learned you can get monthly subscriptions from $49, This is only the 3D mapping version though.
Well Done:cool:

I tried to have a go with DroneDeploy but with no luck unfortunately. I am using an iPad Pro with celular but no sim and out in the field I couldn't get an accurate map, it was just a blur. Is it because of no celular or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any advice guys

I tried to have a go with DroneDeploy but with no luck unfortunately. I am using an iPad Pro with celular but no sim and out in the field I couldn't get an accurate map, it was just a blur. Is it because of no celular or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any advice guys
Try using the app at home with wifi to set up a mission and see if that is any different.

I read on Drone Deploy the Safari causes issues, I have flown twice using DD and found the same thing, no images just roads when launched for mission. I am wondering if Safari causes this? they recommend Google Chrome. I did a trial with Pix4D and did not have this issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers