2nd Video

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So this is my second video. Footage I shot at an off-road event with local group. Still a few issues with my technique...too slow video in many parts, a few quirks with transitions, not the smoothest in places and definitely need switching to manual exposure for greater control on lighting. My issue is that I am using Phantom 3 4K and shooting in 4k. Photos are looking awesome. I am not however pleased with the video quality. I know that this is capable of extremely nice video but when I get back and am downloading the footage I am seeing tons of flickering/noise. I have a set of ND filters and have been using the ND4. I am shooting at 30fps and modifying the frame rate to 24fps when importing to Premiere Pro. I have tried noise reduction and several other techniques but not seeming to help. I haven't been back out to try manual exposure and control the camera functions. I am thinking it might be that my shutter speed is still too high since it has been on auto exposure and I haven't really monitored the ISO it has been using. I know it is recommended using a shutter speed of twice the frame rate so as close to 1/60 since I am shooting 30 fps. Does this sound right or are there other issues I need to look into. The first half of the video I experimented with a LUT so it is not straight from the camera. The second half with the campsite and all the off-road vehicles was straight from the camera. Any input/feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!!

So this is my second video. Footage I shot at an off-road event with local group. Still a few issues with my technique...too slow video in many parts, a few quirks with transitions, not the smoothest in places and definitely need switching to manual exposure for greater control on lighting. My issue is that I am using Phantom 3 4K and shooting in 4k. Photos are looking awesome. I am not however pleased with the video quality. I know that this is capable of extremely nice video but when I get back and am downloading the footage I am seeing tons of flickering/noise. I have a set of ND filters and have been using the ND4. I am shooting at 30fps and modifying the frame rate to 24fps when importing to Premiere Pro. I have tried noise reduction and several other techniques but not seeming to help. I haven't been back out to try manual exposure and control the camera functions. I am thinking it might be that my shutter speed is still too high since it has been on auto exposure and I haven't really monitored the ISO it has been using. I know it is recommended using a shutter speed of twice the frame rate so as close to 1/60 since I am shooting 30 fps. Does this sound right or are there other issues I need to look into. The first half of the video I experimented with a LUT so it is not straight from the camera. The second half with the campsite and all the off-road vehicles was straight from the camera. Any input/feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!!
I liked it,yeh bit dark and seem out of focus some areas,,loving the area and event,,watching back on utube not good on a good day,,,I record all my clips on any drone at in simple 1080 at 24fps,,,was always clear for me,,!good way to try different modes when recording just have cam open hold drone while walking and changing settings as you go to find the clearest,,,,,I still not know much about best to use cause they all vary per drone,,,I just kept it simple and worked the best ,try different shade filters too,,to me they just sunglasses for the drone and if I had to put one on it was always the lightest or it was just to dark,,,I had the cheap cakmix lenses,,but all work same way,,light, medium, dark but all change the light that comes in,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CWassam
I liked it,yeh bit dark and seem out of focus some areas,,loving the area and event,,watching back on utube not good on a good day,,,I record all my clips on any drone at in simple 1080 at 24fps,,,was always clear for me,,!good way to try different modes when recording just have cam open hold drone while walking and changing settings as you go to find the clearest,,,,,I still not know much about best to use cause they all vary per drone,,,I just kept it simple and worked the best ,try different shade filters too,,to me they just sunglasses for the drone and if I had to put one on it was always the lightest or it was just to dark,,,I had the cheap cakmix lenses,,but all work same way,,light, medium, dark but all change the light that comes in,,

Thanks! I will try that. Shooting in 1080P will definitely be easier to edit on my computer - 4K really takes a lot longer to process, lol.

Practice makes perfect! Thanks for sharing!

So I've been practicing some more! Changed my camera settings around and shooting in DLog and using manual exposure + upped the ND filter to ND8. In Post, I used a Rec.709 LUT to convert color and then added a custom LUT from a set I downloaded. Overall I am much more pleased. I also have been working on my cinematography and sharpening my editing skills to have a better pace. Leave me some feedback!

Sorry for the late post. I can only be of limited help: I'm not familiar with the P3, shoot in auto mode and don't use LUTs. However, two things stand out - both of which detract from your video. Firstly, the colours are over-saturated. You can see that in the greens, which are almost fluorescent. And secondly, much of your video is over-exposed. You see that most obviously in your sky, which is almost completely washed out.
Re the saturation: I can't tell you why this has happened. You could try dialing it back after applying the LUT.
Re the exposure: It's a tricky balance. Tree foliage absorbs light, a bright sky reflects it. Combine the two in the same frame, and often one or the other will be incorrectly exposed. If the sun is in front of you, there's often more shadow down below, and greater contrast to deal with. The other thing with manual exposure is that you need to change your settings as your angles and composition change - particularly in relation to the sun.

My recommendation, until you build up a bit more experience, is to keep things simple. Using manual settings plus ND filters, shooting in flat colour profiles and applying LUTS - all adds several layers of complexity for someone new to drones and videography. Go back to a standard colour mode that doesn't need correcting and switch to auto-exposure, then play around. Observe how your camera exposes as your composition changes. Your light source makes all the difference. Try to have the sun behind you and low in the sky. Watch other drone videos to get ideas - see what works and what doesn't. Your editing is already pretty good, and will improve with practice.

Have fun!

You will mostly always get some jitters when taking video straight from your drone. I always rely on my media card(in this case SD) when publishing my work, either for pleasure or business. ( I am a licensed pilot.) I have not found any problems there. Also, experiment with the sweet spot on your camera, or read about someone who has. I had to do this when unhappy with my Mavic 2 pro footage, I just followed what I found and am now quite happy. Cheers!

You will mostly always get some jitters when taking video straight from your drone. I always rely on my media card(in this case SD) when publishing my work, either for pleasure or business. ( I am a licensed pilot.) I have not found any problems there. Also, experiment with the sweet spot on your camera, or read about someone who has. I had to do this when unhappy with my Mavic 2 pro footage, I just followed what I found and am now quite happy. Cheers!
Thx for the feedback. Just to clarify I was pulling from the card not my phone footage - definitely a downgrade there since the P3 4K only transmits 480p to the phone. Lol. Have kept experimenting and have slowed shutter speeds and ISO down by using higher ND filter values and going all manual plus am shooting a flat profile and color grading in post. Seems to have greatly improved my efforts but still working on it…

Thx for the feedback. Just to clarify I was pulling from the card not my phone footage - definitely a downgrade there since the P3 4K only transmits 480p to the phone. Lol. Have kept experimenting and have slowed shutter speeds and ISO down by using higher ND filter values and going all manual plus am shooting a flat profile and color grading in post. Seems to have greatly improved my efforts but still working on it…
I can’t say as I have ever been unhappy with my Phantom footage. I am a terrestrial photographer so I kept upgrading until I bought an Inspire 1 with the X5 camera. I think the images from that camera, a micro 4/3 sensor type, are really pro-grade. I added an Olympus 14-48mm lens to compliment the 15mm stock lens. I love to zoom in on my subjects, which are mostly landscapes if I am not shooting real estate photos. I live near the Cape Cod Canal so I shoot a lot of footage of the Sagamore Bridge and all the boat traffic. I usually go with a 5.6 apeture as not many closeups are shot. I also shoot with the Phantom 4 pro and Mavic 2 pro. I have found f4.0 aperture works best. Take a look at some Inspire shots. Best, happy flying!

Attachments

• 1EE6858F-7A76-480E-B823-F5437F4F097B.jpeg
    1EE6858F-7A76-480E-B823-F5437F4F097B.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 158
  • 38BE9063-5634-4EC9-9F0C-3C2B45D5ADCE.jpeg
    38BE9063-5634-4EC9-9F0C-3C2B45D5ADCE.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 158
  • AAE33609-6391-46BE-B3EB-7B1DC2161642.jpeg
    AAE33609-6391-46BE-B3EB-7B1DC2161642.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 149
  • 7D5C3F5F-4AAE-48F6-B9FC-85AC1ADF617C.jpeg
    7D5C3F5F-4AAE-48F6-B9FC-85AC1ADF617C.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 167
I can’t say as I have ever been unhappy with my Phantom footage. I am a terrestrial photographer so I kept upgrading until I bought an Inspire 1 with the X5 camera. I think the images from that camera, a micro 4/3 sensor type, are really pro-grade. I added an Olympus 14-48mm lens to compliment the 15mm stock lens. I love to zoom in on my subjects, which are mostly landscapes if I am not shooting real estate photos. I live near the Cape Cod Canal so I shoot a lot of footage of the Sagamore Bridge and all the boat traffic. I usually go with a 5.6 apeture as not many closeups are shot. I also shoot with the Phantom 4 pro and Mavic 2 pro. I have found f4.0 aperture works best. Take a look at some Inspire shots. Best, happy flying!
Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. Those shots are really nice! I have continued to adjust my settings and try new shots. I had also purchased a Mavic Air which I like as well. It is a little more portable and I like the photos and video I get from it but can still see an difference with the larger sensor size in the P3 4K. Your Inspire is awesome with the micro 4/3 sensor. I shoot a lot with a Panasonic Micro 4/3 for my other video. I love it! Thanks for the info and feedback!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers