2025 meters on my FPV.

Reaction score
Just an FYI for those trying to figure out how far they may get with their FPV system.

I got 2025 meters out of my FPV system today. I'm using the DJI 5.8 VDL set with the circular antennas. I did add a 90º connector because I read it is best not to bend the coax and I wanted the TX antenna to point straight down.

Flight conditions were 53 meters high and I had no ground obstructions. Basically I just flew it in a straight line and straight back. I did get "white out/Snow" a couple of times for a few seconds, but nothing that worried me. It was also an overcast day. Don't know if that helped the signal or not.

Anyway, I could have gone further but I had not scouted any further than that distance and I figure 2000 meters is enough.

I've been out a number of times to 2500 using the TrueRC crosshair 10dbi gain antenna on fatshark attitude goggles with zero static. I did a run out to 3.4km with static beyond 3km. The crosshair is a huge improvement over the circular antenna I normally use on the rx. I recommend adding it to your fpv setup if you are going beyond 1600m.

Ps I just upgraded to a futaba 14sgh and only get control out to 900m, pretty pathetic compared to stock controller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with the Futaba. About 900m...:-( Ridiculous.

Did you change the receiver too ? I didn't.

Fanti said:

Did you change the receiver too ? I didn't.
Fanti said:

Ps I just upgraded to a futaba 14sgh and only get control out to 900m, pretty pathetic compared to stock controller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You guys need to upgrade rx antenna from Futaba - HSP 79766 - you'll never have an issue w/range. (It's longer antenna extensions)

CoppellDarryl said:
Just an FYI for those trying to figure out how far they may get with their FPV system.

I got 2025 meters out of my FPV system today. I'm using the DJI 5.8 VDL set with the circular antennas. I did add a 90º connector because I read it is best not to bend the coax and I wanted the TX antenna to point straight down.

Flight conditions were 53 meters high and I had no ground obstructions. Basically I just flew it in a straight line and straight back. I did get "white out/Snow" a couple of times for a few seconds, but nothing that worried me. It was also an overcast day. Don't know if that helped the signal or not.

Anyway, I could have gone further but I had not scouted any further than that distance and I figure 2000 meters is enough.

Can you post links to the items needed to extend range on the Vision? Id like to get my drones out that far

EMCSQUAR said:
You guys need to upgrade rx antenna from Futaba - HSP 79766 - you'll never have an issue w/range. (It's longer antenna extensions)

+1 from me. It makes a massive difference to the range you get from the Futaba

Just a quick updated on range with the 14SG...

I reinstalled the P2 stock rx and reconnected to the Naza controller today while leaving the Futaba R7008SB rx that came with the 14SG inside the shell but disconnected.

Out on the same range with the stock rx and the Futaba14SG, I easily reached 2200m and felt I could go further. However, with the temp at 14°F, the battery was dropping voltage fast. Winds were calm and my altitude was about 120m above relative position of the home point (5300') with 95% humidity. This range is wide open country with very few trees and away from RF activity. This is the same range and similar conditions in which I reached 3400m with all stock P2 gear (FPV gear excluded) yet only 940m with Futaba gear on both ends (14SGTx/R7008SB Rx).

I am encouraged by the results knowing that the 14SG is providing powerful enough signal to allow 2200m distance. On a warmer day with calm winds, I may try to push out to 3000m with 14SG bound to the stock rx.

Once the 400mm Futaba antenna shows up, I'll install on the R7008SB rx and post results.

PS. It took me a while to figure out how to bind the 14SG with the stock rx. I found on another forum that the only way I could bind the stock rx to go into the 14SG Linkage/System and changing mode to Fasst-Multi mode. With the 14SG on in transmit mode, push the bind button on the bottom of the P2 until the solid red light emitted from the button starts to flash. Once its bound, the light emitted from the bind button turns green on the P2.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic