2.4Ghz - safe or not?

Reaction score
Many forums and YouTube videos repeatedly state that there are reliability issues with 2.4Ghz - which is the frequency of my Phantom controller.

We have been using 2.4Ghz for nearly ten years with RC Helicopters - which generally are regarded as a tough testing ground for Tx/Rx stuff, with all that vibration, metal or CF frames and static. Despite dire warnings about using mobile phones on the flight line, there seems to be only anecdotal evidence of interference.

I understood the whole point of this frequency band was that - using channel-hopping and other wizardry - the risks of interference are minimal - which is why it's used for Wi-Fi.

So, do we really have a problem, or is this anxiety from the Health and Safety brigade?

Can I safely use a 2.4Ghz wi-fi camera alongside the same band controller?

Thanks

Philip

docramage said:
So, do we really have a problem, or is this anxiety from the Health and Safety brigade?

There's no problem here. The P2 radio is solid.

docramage said:
Can I safely use a 2.4Ghz wi-fi camera alongside the same band controller?

I would strongly advise against it.

do we have a problem? no. obviously you'll get better range out in a rural environment than in an urban area just due to overall interference, but plenty of people fly in cities with tons of 2.4Ghz background noise, no issues out to 500, 1000 meters sometimes.

Can you safely use a 2.4Ghz wifi alongside? NO!!! First off, this is plastered all over the official documentation not to do it, so that should be sufficient to stop you :)
think about it... in this case, the Phantom itself is a RECEIVER and the RC in your hands is the transmitter. If you put a 2.4Ghz transmitter ON the Phantom (gopro or other camera wifi) what can happen is, as the Phantom moves farther away from the RC, the signal from the new onboard transmitter (gopro, camera whatever)' will overwhelm the signal coming from the RC and the Phantom loses touch with the RC... this is because unlike all that "background" 2.4ghz crap coming from people's wifi's and stuff some distance away, the gopro/camera wifi transmitter on board the phantom is RIGHT THERE.

If that happens, the Phantom may GoHome, or it may fly off into neverneverland, crash, damage property or hurt someone so it's just not worth the risk.

That's why those of us with non-Vision P2's add 5.8Ghz FPV systems so they don't interfere. A whole kit can be done with premium antennas for less than $400 so in the end the cost of adding live FPV makes it about the same price as a Vision series, but we have far longer range and way better video from the gopro... just no live/app control.\

Head over to the FPV sub-forum to start learning... check the stickythreads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers