1st Flight

Reaction score
I took my P4P to the Nevada desert and had a good time getting use to it. I live under an airport traffic pattern and wanted to go to a place where I wouldn't be distracted. And a place where I could exercise it w/o bothering anyone. I took my dog, and we had some fun in an area I've camped at twice before. I flew an X5C practice drone a bit, always indoors to get ready for this. I also have a commercial, instrument, helicopter license, but haven't flown a Huey in over 30 years. But looking in the Hoodman at that 10.5 ipad was very much like hopping back in the cockpit, I felt really comfortable. The video is rock solid and on my 4K TV looks amazing. I uploaded a couple to Youtube
I'm still a big rookie at this I know. I flew 2-3 times a day for 3 days and had a blast, with F-18's from Fallon flying high cover for me :) My 1st Q... Not wanting to risk the safety of my expensive flying camera, how far could I fly in open country like this in calm conditions? of course keeping it insight visually :). And if anyone sees the video sorry about being so jerky but I wasn't thinking cinematic.
DJI_0003.JPG
DJI_0007.JPG
DJI_0016.JPG

No clue what range a P4 has in stock form, but my P3S without the ARGtek had 2000'-2800' range at max(legal) AGL. The booster doubles it pretty easy. Going a bit higher (say max ceiling 500m) you could, hypothetically, go farther. NOT saying I have, mind you. But ya could. Hypothetically... Being a pilot yourself you understand the risks involved with it. Living near Ft Leonard Wood, and having Whiteman AFB A-10s constantly overhead keeps my altitude low around home. I've sneaked away and found my bird's limits in far distant areas like you did. As stated, mine has a Hard Ceiling of 1640' (500m) but no real horizontal limit so far. Nerves will keep yours pretty close for a while, as do mine.
Great video, btw! I thought it looked pretty good!
Brad

Yeh nice clip ,if that a fault line that crack,,should look for some gold ,,great location and awsome view
Been in that general area myself years ago with my dad. Thought it looked familiar, then you mentioned the fault line. Dad & I did do some gold hunting but never found anything. Dang the luck... ?
Brad

Fly on 5.8Ghz AUTO and you can go 3 miles in the desert wilth a LOS connection, meaning NOTHING between you and the drone. Use a Windsurfer parabolic dish to reach that far, $15. Just keep an eye on the signal strength bars to ensure signal integrity. Remember, it will automatically return if you lose the connection.

With no wind, just return when the app tells you to, it's very conservative to get you back with 20% battery.

If you ever reach 10% the craft will gradually descend, however you can still move forward and maintain elevation with a little left stick up input to ascend. You can do that all the way down to 0%, at which time it descends to land wherever it is.

Thanks for all the good advice...I've been camping on Nevada BLM and Nat. Forest land since 2006. The drone opens up new possibilities..

Nice best of all not a pesky tree in sight to get stuck in

Huey: We fly over similar terrain, albeit a dry part of South Africa, and with dramatic/steep mountainsides thrown in for good measure.

My simple advice is to take it easy, step by step, learning to walk before trying to run. The P4P is a great drone, with a very good camera, so it's just a matter of getting the best out of it whatever your aim/purpose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues