1st 300 ft hover

Reaction score
On Sunday I had time to fly so I charged up my P3 Adv. and headed out in search of a place to hover. Our local fairgrounds has a sign no drone zone and the school somehow had events going on. I settled for our local park that wasn't plowed out all that well from the resent snow but I was able to park. I took the P3 out to the most open area and sent it skyward. The weather was a grey cloudy day and about a 5-6 MPH wind. I got it to 185 ft and could see it quite well then 200. A little harder but kept the red light to the front and sent it off to 300 then I had to switch to camera view. Very different having not flown like that before. While it hovered it played with the camera and rotation to get a 360 video. I then hit the RTH button and got a surprise It headed for home about 3 blocks away at 300 ft it was moving away from me. I hit the button again to take control and finished off about a 15 minute flight at 200 ft. Oh what fun.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200126-200956_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200126-200956_Video Player.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 273
When you first take off, let it hover a bit. Check to make sure it has home locked in and everything is ok before you continue. Sometimes you may have taken off over metal and you will lose your compass. It will start acting crazy. Bring it down immediately. That should never happen if you checked everything before take off, but it's good to be safe then sorry. Sounds like you are going to be a good pilot.

Reactions: andy.spilos
It's always exciting when your drone does something unexpected. LOL

Reactions: THE WARRIK
Why did you hit the RTH button at all?
Being over your head it's of no use if the horizontal distance is less than 30 m it will descent at the place it is. If it went away as you said you hadn't place your home point correctly or had not enough sat. to navigate.

Why did you hit the RTH button at all?
Being over your head it's of no use if the horizontal distance is less than 30 m it will descent at the place it is. If it went away as you said you hadn't place your home point correctly or had not enough sat. to navigate.
I had never used the RTH button and thought it was a safe bet to try it. Not knowing what it was going to do or how the drone would react.

That's why the recomendations are to begin flying in an open area clean of people so you can test all functions you like.
And before you go up always check how many sat it locked. Less than 12 is not very safe although it will start flying with 9.
And don't forget to check the HP settings and if it is locked in the memory of the drone.
Enjoy with flying.

That's why the recomendations are to begin flying in an open area clean of people so you can test all functions you like.
And before you go up always check how many sat it locked. Less than 12 is not very safe although it will start flying with 9.
And don't forget to check the HP settings and if it is locked in the memory of the drone.
Enjoy with flying.
Thanks for the info I applied stickers to my controller.CHECK SATS/ Home Point.I had to go back and reread the instruction manual to find the homepoint settings. Thanks Again RT.

The App should tell you that the "home point updated" shortly after everything locks on?
I often fly 400ft straight up from my house to look around the village and then just bring it down so that I can see it clearly for landing. NO need for RTH.
It disappeared up into a fog bank the other day, it suddenly came down, which was interesting, Had to bring it down by sound as visibility was less than 10feet!!

Reactions: Capt KO
There is always need to setup the HP. Even if you use to take it down manually. Just look to the situation with the fogg. It is clear example why RTH is for. You lost eye contact and can't saw anything. How can you bring it down manually. OK in your case it was right above you, but think about what would happen if you can't see it nor hear it because of the distance. What can you do manually. Probably nothing. And if you didn't set the RTH point you are lost. And not only in the fogg. Situations where RTH is a must are numerous. Phantom get into RTH mode if it looses signal for more than 3 sec. With no RTH set it will hoover in place until the battery goes down. It will land at the place when the battery gets critical low. If the battery is older with some issues then it might even fall down and crash. RTH is the last line of defence from being lost or crashed.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic