107 test

Reaction score
I just passed the 107 test today. I got a 90 on it not bad.My question is what does most pilots do ? I know everyone is not using a sectional chart.
So is LAANC the way to go? Or are there other apps. that work too

I just passed the 107 test today. I got a 90 on it not bad.My question is what does most pilots do ? I know everyone is not using a sectional chart.
So is LAANC the way to go? Or are there other apps. that work too
While airmap & others work the sectional charts are King they are final authority on airspace just make sure its current

IMO...The reality is DJI' Geofencing is the all that matters.
Before LAANC was available to hobbyists, I obtained my 107 solely for LAANC. My commercial endeavor has been a freelance aerial videographer uploading video to stock footage houses...marginally worth it, but it gives me a target/purpose.
When I use Kittyhawk (basically the same as airmap, but for me more reliable) I can see that authorization is available to 200 feet of altitude, but DJI says 'Nope, cannot take off'
Sometimes I can enter a code, and accept responsibility for the flight, other times...not so much.
So, regardless of what the FAA authorizes, DJI has the final word.
Being that the flyzone altitudes are all GPS based with well defined lat/long, I don't understand why DJI and the FAA (LAANC) are not in lock step.
I realize DJI is located on another continent, still it's a global information.
Frustrating.

I am supposed to renew my 107. However, now that the quasi authorization is available to hobbyists, I am not sure I have incentive to fork over what is now $160 for the license. Other than uploading video for sale, I don't have or intend to pursuit other drone opportunities. Still, there's a nagging in my mind to do it...bizarre.

Reactions: cneedelman and MTO
There is one thing I was wondering about Is it really another $160. to take the test again in two years? Like Ruckert says That seams
to be a lot to do a recertification.

Reactions: MTO
There is one thing I was wondering about Is it really another $160. to take the test again in two years? Like Ruckert says That seams

you got it!

Instead of 60 questions the recertification is 40 questions still 160.00 though

not only why that cost, but more importantly, why take it?
I'm supposed to take it this month, and I'm ready, but why do I want to do that again?
I'm not a professional 'pilot'. I make money from stock footage, but there's not front end contract. It's just, 'here's my video...want to buy it?'
And, crazy enough, some do.

I fly commercial real estate jobs, so I have to have a 107 cert. I have done several jobs inside Class C airspace using Airmap to get LAANC authorization. I usually get an email approval fairly quickly, the last one only took 5 minutes. DJI Go 4 (Phantom 4) and DJI Go (Inspire 1) on my iPad are updated with the latest PreciseFlight database updates (geofencing). My house is about a mile from the runway at this Class C airport, a no fly zone, and DJI Go/Go 4 won't even let me start the motors, it says "no takeoff". When I'm flying with LAANC approval in controlled airspace, DJI Go/Go 4 pops up a box asking me to acknowlegde I'm flying in controlled airspace and will take responsibility. I have to click "Yes" in order to fly. I noticed there is a way to enter an unlock code, but I have never been asked to do that. I don't have my iPad connected to WiFi or cell connection, so it's the drone GPS position and the geofencing database that is tripping the warning. A footnote, the last LAANC approval restricted me to 100 ft. I'm here to tell you that is not much altitude to do anything, with trees reaching up to 60-80 ft above the ground, and a cell tower about 1/4 mile away at 100 ft.

I fly commercial real estate jobs, so I have to have a 107 cert. I have done several jobs inside Class C airspace using Airmap to get LAANC authorization. I usually get an email approval fairly quickly, the last one only took 5 minutes. DJI Go 4 (Phantom 4) and DJI Go (Inspire 1) on my iPad are updated with the latest PreciseFlight database updates (geofencing). My house is about a mile from the runway at this Class C airport, a no fly zone, and DJI Go/Go 4 won't even let me start the motors, it says "no takeoff". When I'm flying with LAANC approval in controlled airspace, DJI Go/Go 4 pops up a box asking me to acknowlegde I'm flying in controlled airspace and will take responsibility. I have to click "Yes" in order to fly. I noticed there is a way to enter an unlock code, but I have never been asked to do that. I don't have my iPad connected to WiFi or cell connection, so it's the drone GPS position and the geofencing database that is tripping the warning. A footnote, the last LAANC approval restricted me to 100 ft. I'm here to tell you that is not much altitude to do anything, with trees reaching up to 60-80 ft above the ground, and a cell tower about 1/4 mile away at 100 ft.
The approval states 100 ft, but DJI will allow well above 400 ft. The sky is literally the limit. However, that's only if DJI will allow you to start the motors..."cannot take-off"
the whole thing needs refined

The approval states 100 ft, but DJI will allow well above 400 ft. The sky is literally the limit. However, that's only if DJI will allow you to start the motors..."cannot take-off"
the whole thing needs refined

I’ve already received LAANC approval for 400’ but DJI limited me to 200’ and I could not go higher...

I’ve already had to apply for unlock code before being allowed to fly, but this is a new one. It never even prompted me to try and unlock higher.

I’m guessing I could have applied before hand on DJI website to unlock, but didn’t bother as I got LAANC approval for 400’.

DJI is getting to be a PIA... I have the plus version and I can only access WiFi with it not cell service.

Sure DJI may let you go higher than 400 ft, but you risk losing your 107 if the FAA investigates. It's hard to refute the flight logs. BTW if you are in a no fly zone, you can't even fly your drone lower than the trees or other obstacles around you, at least without coordinating with the FAA. But airplanes will never fly below the treetops you cry! Yeah, but rules are rules. The FAA sees your drone as a potential airspace threat, even if it's hovering below the trees. What happens if the drone loses it's link and flies away..?

Reactions: BigAl07
Because the testing facility isn't a charity. It costs money to operate and the fees are mandated across the board to keep the facilities from getting "greedy" and jacking the prices up on us.

If we want to be big boys and fly our aircraft in the NAS there are rules and regulations to abide by. If we want to do this beyond hobby/recreational intent then Part 107 is the requirement.

not only why that cost, but more importantly, why take it?
I'm supposed to take it this month, and I'm ready, but why do I want to do that again?
I'm not a professional 'pilot'. I make money from stock footage, but there's not front end contract. It's just, 'here's my video...want to buy it?'
And, crazy enough, some do.

If you fly completely within the Hobby/Recreational rules (which you aren't by creating content to sell) then don't take Part 107. It's really that simple.

Sometimes it comes down to following your own moral compass. Sometimes its about doing what's right rather than what we "Want".

If you are flying in controlled airspace, you have two options. If the airspace is LAANC active, you can use a USS for approval. Some have mentioned Airmap, but I strongly advise against using them. They are not friendly to the UAS industry. They have actively (with money) supported legislation that would close the airspace below 200' to many UAS uses.

Go with www.skyward.io, or for a paid subsciption ($5/month), try www.uasidekick.com.

Reactions: BigAl07
I abide by the laws because I’m law abiding. I’ve been flying remote control aircraft for almost 40 years and NOW have to abide by by these laws.

The US constitution with all amendments fits on 34 pocket sized pages (pocket constitution), these new proposed ID law is over 400 pages full size...

I seriously think our freedoms are being infringed upon and I know the majority of the population will ignore them.

Yes I need a driver’s license because they say driving is a privilege not a right, same with flying airplanes I guess; the Wright brothers might have disagreed...

I’m driving my car on the governments roads that require paving etc, but if I fly my rc plane on my property I have to comply with laws? Yes I get having a license to use pictures commercially but the new remote ID law affects all RC craft

I have a CDL drivers license and it doesn't coast this much. But I guess all I have to do is sell some photos and get my money back.

I have a CDL drivers license and it doesn't coast this much. But I guess all I have to do is sell some photos and get my money back.
Do you print your photos for sale? If so, print through printer, or your own studio?

I was a MCSAP DOT officer in PA for years...the Federal regulations aren’t pretty either (lengthy).

I hooked up with an established real estate photography agency that was looking to do aerials. I partnered with them and I only do the real estate through them so they get their cut. It’s worth it to me because otherwise it would have been hard to get my “in” with the realtor crowd.

Maybe you could do the same?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic