107 cert

The material and test are not hard. If it's something you've never been around then you'll need to spend more time studying. I tell people this:

Taking your RPIC test is like taking a test for a foreign language. If you're familiar with it already you just study to get up to speed and you'll do fine. If you've never had a single lesson in THAT language you have no chance of passing the test because the subject matter will be foreign to you.

Many people study for a couple of weeks and pass it the first time.

I can tell you for sure it's a LESS than a Full Aircraft Pilot's License.... Back before 2016 we had to have a Pilot's License but after August 2016 it became many MANY times easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitchmarkl
I am a Part 61 certificate holder so the process of obtaining the Part 107 certificate was relatively simple and straightforward. I would say the same thing to someone seeking the Remote Pilot cert as I would to someone that is looking to get a Private Pilot certificate: Study and fly as much as you can and as frequently as you can. With some determination, you can get through the studying without the cost of using a test prep service. The FAA has a lot of good resources on their website.

Thank yo for the reply. Btw Ted Striker is my here. Lol. Thanks again

Reactions: slats
Interested in the book. Any details?
Sure thing! ASA makes all sorts of aviation education materials. This book is a paperback which covers all subject matter that’s required to pass the Part 107, in the form of essential study information and multiple choice questions. It comes with an Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement book (a large percentage of the questions require its use ). It helps greatly to have been through ground school as a lot of this will not be self-explanatory. 5 online tests are also included, though I haven’t tried any of them just yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 297
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 324
Sure thing! ASA makes all sorts of aviation education materials. This book is a paperback which covers all subject matter that’s required to pass the Part 107, in the form of essential study information and multiple choice questions. It comes with an Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement book (a large percentage of the questions require its use ). It helps greatly to have been through ground school as a lot of this will not be self-explanatory. 5 online tests are also included, though I haven’t tried any of them just yet.
This is what I primarily used to study, but the 2018 version. Those 5 free practice tests were helpful. I printed the tests after and really studied the ones I got wrong. You should see a gradual progression in your scores. Once you're in the 90s, take the test.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2edgesword
Haven’t been on the forum for a bit, been out of country. I hope everyone here is doing well and flying safe.

I am looking at getting my 107 and looking for intel from fellow pilots. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I’m just curious what is involved. My home base is in Texas if that makes a difference.

I currently fly a P3s but I am definitely looking to upgrade. I see a lot about the p4 being phased out. Any thoughts out there about a possible p5. I am looking at doing commercial work and actually having a home life! Again, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any response
cc8330
I bought a P4ProObsidian, studied the 107, watched Northrup U Tube several times, took the 3DR sample test multiple times. Went in last Monday to take the 107, finished it in 25 minutes and passed with flying (no pun intended) colors.
Third career for me now almost a young 70.

I just took my recurrent test since my first test was 2 years ago last month. I used the 3dr test just to see what I had forgotten. After some research I bought the Prepware app on my iPad for $5. I skipped the study part and just took the test 15-20 times. I finished the recurrent test in 15 minutes with an 85%. There's a lot of material out there for free and I'm sure the courses are a good investment for many people. If you are just looking to pass the test and want to make sure you nail it the first time, Prepware is well worth the money.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I am a private pilot, and 107 certified. To become a private pilot you have to go through 40 hours of ground school and pass a test. Then you gotta to fly a minimum of another 40 hours, mostly with an instructor. Then you have to pass a check ride. Successful completion of all that gets you a private pilots license.
107, you study on your own. Pay $150 take a test. Ya pass it, ya get to take a free test on lone and poof your a 107 pilot. While the material you study is the same ya study for a private pilots license, it isn't the full course.
It's a whole lot easier to become a 107 than it is a private pilot. A lot cheaper too. 40 hours if plane rental at $100/ hour is $4,000. Plus your instructor is another $50/ hour, figure at least 20 hours with them. Your looking at $7,000 after ground School or more for a private pilots license. Only $150 plus the cost of your drone for a 107.

The part about 40 hours of ground school is not accurate. There is no state length of time for the ground school to prepare for the written exam. The 40 hours is related to flight training not ground school.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94