107 cert

Reaction score
Haven’t been on the forum for a bit, been out of country. I hope everyone here is doing well and flying safe.

I am looking at getting my 107 and looking for intel from fellow pilots. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I’m just curious what is involved. My home base is in Texas if that makes a difference.

I currently fly a P3s but I am definitely looking to upgrade. I see a lot about the p4 being phased out. Any thoughts out there about a possible p5. I am looking at doing commercial work and actually having a home life! Again, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any response
cc8330

I’m just curious what is involved.
From my prospective.....far too much. A 107 is basically a full aircraft pilots license, there are many resources you can find to gather the information to decide if it is right for you. Currently, again IMO the market is quite flooded and not worth the time to pursue. I considered this myself at one point and decided it wasn't for me. Not saying that I could not obtain the certification, but after careful consideration and debate, I dumped the idea. Please don't take this in any way against it. Far from that. It is just not worth the effort for such small gain.

From my prospective.....far too much. A 107 is basically a full aircraft pilots license, there are many resources you can find to gather the information to decide if it is right for you. Currently, again IMO the market is quite flooded and not worth the time to pursue. I considered this myself at one point and decided it wasn't for me. Not saying that I could not obtain the certification, but after careful consideration and debate, I dumped the idea. Please don't take this in any way against it. Far from that. It is just not worth the effort for such small gain.

Thank you for the reply

The test is multiple choice and there are a lot of good examples online and some pretty good instructional videos that give good explanations of the things covered on the test. A lot of the test centers around interpreting sectional charters, identifying the different types of restricted airspace, floor and ceiling heights of restricted airspace, obstacles, prohibited areas, communications frequencies, etc. It may seem overwhelming at first (there is a tremendous amount of information on those charts) but the more you learn about them and understand which areas to focus on the clearer it will become. There are also questions on FAA regulations for flying drones, aviation weather (how to read the different types of aviation weather reports) and a few questions on aerodynamic (load factor, things that impact lift, etc.).

Again, it will seem overwhelming at first and it's going to take some time to absorb the material but don't get discouraged. There are some training programs you can buy that will provide through explanations, video and graphs to help in understanding the material on the test. The only one I can recommend is the material produced by King Schools. I did not use their material for the part 107 test but many years ago I used their video training material when I was getting my private pilots license and instrument ratings and aced both test so I have to imagine their material for the commercial drone license would be of the same quality.

There is a lot on the test that would be unrelated to simply flying a drone for fun. The test is much more geared toward flying a drone for commercial purposes and understanding the does and don'ts of flying in restricted airspace.

I got the license because I think things are going to be moving toward stricter control of flying drones in general. I also got it because while I think making a living wage flying drones for commercial applications is going to be few and far between it could be used to supplement an income. Another reason is I live in the congested northeast and it's easy to get clearance to fly in controlled airspace via LAANC system almost instantly with the 107 license.

It does take some time, patience and energy to seat down and study the material in preparation for the test. I was fortunate since most of what is on the test I knew via my training for getting my private pilot's license and instrument rating. In my opinion more knowledge is better even if it's just understanding some of the things other pilots we share the airspace with have to know.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
The test is multiple choice and there are a lot of good examples online and some pretty good instructional videos that give good explanations of the things covered on the test. A lot of the test centers around interpreting sectional charters, identifying the different types of restricted airspace, floor and ceiling heights of restricted airspace, obstacles, prohibited areas, communications frequencies, etc. It may seem overwhelming at first (there is a tremendous amount of information on those charts) but the more you learn about them and understand which areas to focus on the clearer it will become. There are also questions on FAA regulations for flying drones, aviation weather (how to read the different types of aviation weather reports) and a few questions on aerodynamic (load factor, things that impact lift, etc.).

Again, it will seem overwhelming at first and it's going to take some time to absorb the material but don't get discouraged. There are some training programs you can buy that will provide through explanations, video and graphs to help in understanding the material on the test. The only one I can recommend is the material produced by King Schools. I did not use their material for the part 107 test but many years ago I used their video training material when I was getting my private pilots license and instrument ratings and aced both test so I have to imagine their material for the commercial drone license would be of the same quality.

Thank you for your response. I am looking at the umac course for now but also have a voucher for mac training thru military. Thought I would start small. Either way it will benefit me. Thank you again you response was helpful.

Reactions: 2edgesword
Thank you for your response. I am looking at the umac course for now but also have a voucher for mac training thru military. Thought I would start small. Either way it will benefit me. Thank you again you response was helpful.

I did look at king schools on the interweb and it looked like a good program. I’m glad to hear from someone with a positive experience.

I used “RemotePilot101.com” . It was a one time $149 which covers you for life so when you retest in two years you’re cover. They are constantly updating their content as the FAA evolves.

You can find all the info you need online yourself, but I chose to purchase the Gold Seal course. Faster and a time saver in my opinion to buy a course rather than look up all the info yourself. I believe they are a sponsor here, and had a little discount for Phantom Pilot members. In my case, I'm not looking to do commercial work full time, but I wanted to add the aerial aspect to my photography business and at least be able to sell prints. Another reason 107 was good for me is there are tons of small private airports nearby, as a hobbyist I would have to call each one before flying, so 107 opened up a lot more locations that I can fly in without having to make a bunch of phone calls. Good Luck!

I am a private pilot, and 107 certified. To become a private pilot you have to go through 40 hours of ground school and pass a test. Then you gotta to fly a minimum of another 40 hours, mostly with an instructor. Then you have to pass a check ride. Successful completion of all that gets you a private pilots license.
107, you study on your own. Pay $150 take a test. Ya pass it, ya get to take a free test on lone and poof your a 107 pilot. While the material you study is the same ya study for a private pilots license, it isn't the full course.
It's a whole lot easier to become a 107 than it is a private pilot. A lot cheaper too. 40 hours if plane rental at $100/ hour is $4,000. Plus your instructor is another $50/ hour, figure at least 20 hours with them. Your looking at $7,000 after ground School or more for a private pilots license. Only $150 plus the cost of your drone for a 107.

Reactions: slats
Haven’t been on the forum for a bit, been out of country. I hope everyone here is doing well and flying safe.

I am looking at getting my 107 and looking for intel from fellow pilots. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I’m just curious what is involved. My home base is in Texas if that makes a difference.

I currently fly a P3s but I am definitely looking to upgrade. I see a lot about the p4 being phased out. Any thoughts out there about a possible p5. I am looking at doing commercial work and actually having a home life! Again, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any response
cc8330
Go fo it. It's more of a ground school and not a full blown pilots lic. The market is the fastest growing and not saturated at all. Look into it and see if you want to be more involved. It does have it's benefits and enjoyment. Don't let some else make your decision for you. You also don't need to take the test tomorrow. Take you time no hurry, study a little at a time and it will all come together. You need any help, the group is here for you.

One of the earlier comments noted that to drone commercial pilots (Part 107) market is flooded right now and that is certainly true but that does not mean you cannot find a niche in the market where you will succeed. I have had my 107 certification for just under 2 years and am getting ready for the retest. For my commercial focus, I conduct aerial environmental litter surveys and workshops for a variety of governmental and environmental organizations. It was something that interested me and I felt the market was under-served.

I tell you about my pathway only as an illustration that I suggest you first decide your specific market focus and then develop a business/marketing plan to help you succeed. The rest is simply hard work as it is with any new business. Practice flight skills as a recreation drone pilot while you develop your skills and development plan and you are more likely to find success. Best of luck to you.

Morris

Currently no word on P5 and don't rush into it. I know guys that are still flying P2s, myself too & I still on occasion fly my gen 1phantom I purchased 5years ago. Most important thing is care for your platform store it safely inspect it don't let your gimbal flop around (SECURE WHILE NOT IN USE), update as needed. Oh and Drone U is a great source to study

Reactions: TXpatriot
The ASA remote pilot test prep book may be the cheapest way to prepare for the 107 exam. I found a new 2019 book for less than $20. It comes with 5 online tests.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
You don't need King schools, but that's your choice.

It's difficult to tell someone else what they do or do not need when it comes to learn. People learn most effectively through different methods. The best we can do is make suggestions based on our experience with the understanding that what works for us many not work for others.

I am a Part 61 certificate holder so the process of obtaining the Part 107 certificate was relatively simple and straightforward. I would say the same thing to someone seeking the Remote Pilot cert as I would to someone that is looking to get a Private Pilot certificate: Study and fly as much as you can and as frequently as you can. With some determination, you can get through the studying without the cost of using a test prep service. The FAA has a lot of good resources on their website.

I am a Part 61 certificate holder so the process of obtaining the Part 107 certificate was relatively simple and straightforward. I would say the same thing to someone seeking the Remote Pilot cert as I would to someone that is looking to get a Private Pilot certificate: Study and fly as much as you can and as frequently as you can. With some determination, you can get through the studying without the cost of using a test prep service. The FAA has a lot of good resources on their website.

I had a friend ask me "how hard is the test?" I told him "if you know the material it's not hard." He didn't like that answer :).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT