Re: PV Antelopes in Wyoming, Is Filming Animals Wrong?

1. I'm not sure about actively chasing animals as opposed to simply observing natural behaviour;
2. Really cool footage of mammals exhibiting "flocking" behaviour, there. A unique viewpoint.

Maybe if it was only 25 seconds of chasing I'd lean more towards 2 than 1...

I would believe observing and not actively chasing them would be a fine approach. Not flying too close, but venture carefully closer and closer. See what distance they start reacting. As the PV sounds like an angry cloud of wasps, they probably will be anxious.
If their reaction is somewhat "let´s just run enough to get away", instead of "OH MAH GAAHD! I gotta be on the other side of Wyoming", I´d probably try to make a few 5-8 seconds chase-cams...

Pull_Up said:
1. I'm not sure about actively chasing animals as opposed to simply observing natural behaviour;
2. Really cool footage of mammals exhibiting "flocking" behaviour, there. A unique viewpoint.

Maybe if it was only 25 seconds of chasing I'd lean more towards 2 than 1...

A 25 Second chase does seem quite reasonable.

There can be a fine line between observation and harassment. I think this video goes over that line, given the length of the chase and the clear intent to chase them. In many US states, this could result in a fine. Really no different than if the guy let his dogs chase the antelope for a couple miles.

My personal viewpoint is that we cross the line when the animals in question respond negatively to the aircraft. I have asked this very question in another thread on this forum....and from the answers I got there, it seems that the reactions of animals varies with the particular animals...as well as the circumstances.

Think about it this way....if ALL Phantom owners made a practice of swooping down, spooking dairy herds and thoroughbred race horses, how long do you think it would be before those animal's owners would come looking for a guy with a Controller in his hand?? As a group, we need to be ultra responsible in ALL of our actions to preserve the freedom to operate these amazing devices with as little negative publicity as possible.

Ditto to Topeeka.

If the Fish and Game Dept was to see this footage, they could possibly fine you for harassing the wildlife. Look it up in the F&G regs for your state. Nearly every state has regs on the books which "could" be a hefty fine.

Unless tied to research, if I were you, I'd remove this before it ends up on the news as it also gives RC pilots a bad name to the animal rights crowd.

Simple observation from a distance is one thing, but pushing a herd with an electronic device can very well lead to a fine, loss of your gear and loss of any hunting previledges plus your face plastered on the state news channels. :shock: It's only a unique viewpoint if your are conducting official wildlife research. I hunt and have shot Antelope and know first hand how fast they run. You are pushing around 50 antelope at top speed for almost a minute and a half. F&G would not take kindly to that and would use this footage to prosecute. I'd remove it if I were you asap.

Antelope do not jump fences. What if your push drove them into a fence-line? You'd be in deep doo doo and probably in jail.

Best advice, don't use it on wildlife.

Oh, what a relaxed looking herd! Is that a serious question? I was hoping to see that Phantom just keep on going. Then, you could experience similar fear to what these antelope were feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I think its harassment.............but I love the soundtrack. IM is one of my favorite bands!!!

If the animals were yours how would you feel if someone did this to them? I know how I'd feel and it wouldn't give me a warm friendly glow! Although I'd be ok with someone taking pictures of my herd and causing just a little disturbance with heads going up and looking around, this is far too much. This is harassment and we shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT