yup another noob here

Reaction score
greetings from massachusetts!

1st time "real" drone owner if you dont count a bluejay u45w toy drone that currently is still lost in the trees at the edge of my property. flew that one ~20 times had a blast got disoriented and whoops. gave me the bug though.

bought a refurb p3s 4 days ago.

beginner mode on. did the calibration stuff. 1st flight was to take it to about 20 feet and leave it there for 5 minutes to see how stable it was with wind etc, and some VERY slow passes around the yard. ~ 5 more flights around the yard at 100 feet (have 13 acres of woods, cleared yard is about 400 x 400 feet mainly clear (well more of less, few trees and power cables), getting the feel of it. tested RTH a bunch of times to make sure it could clear everything. took videos of the house, yard, sunset and such.

7th flight turned off beginner mode. holy smokes.

went to 400 feet and just let it sit there while staring at the FPV with my jaw hanging. what a view! of course you all know that but to me, it was incredible.

i have not gone further out than the treeline yet, staying over the yard. but going to venture out over my woods and check the beaver dam at the back edge of my property from above soon..

i am very nervous about flying over the woods as you may imagine. guess you just have to trust the AC.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

i am very nervous about flying over the woods as you may imaging. guess you just have to trust the AC.
You should be fine as long as the path is clear between the remote controller and Phantom. If you're worried about losing your Phantom in the woods, you could attach a tracker (like one of these) to make it easier to find if you lose it.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Welcome to the Phantom Family! Fly safe and have fun!

You should be fine as long as the path is clear between the remote controller and Phantom. If you're worried about losing your Phantom in the woods, you could attach a tracker (like one of these) to make it easier to find if you lose it.

ive already looked into trackers. will almost certainly get one. turns out finding a drone in the woods doest go so well in dense areas. what a surprise.

i know where my bluejay went into the trees and my wife and i tried to spot it. no lights visible, might of been upside down. we could hear it as i could start the motors and hear them for a second. but eventually the battery died. ive actually use the phantom to look for it from above. use a drone to find a drone. heh.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)
will do

Welcome to the Phantom Family! Fly safe and have fun!

thanks for the welcome guys.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopter’s.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopter’s.

thanks for the welcome :)

been reading tons here, very useful i find out something new all the time.

wont try heading out over the forest till im very comfortable with the craft. still memorizing landmarks from a few hundred feet so i can orient myself solely via FPV if need be. and still exploring the app options and its map display.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr