Your thoughts about the future Phantom?

Reaction score
About a year ago I did a similar thread for what I thought would be the P5. As it turned out it became a P4P, but other than that my predictions were pretty spot on. A big camera improvement, but not much else.

Here we are again. I've been hoping the P5 wont be much better than the P4P since that would make me consider upgrading, which is a burden.

I'm thinking, the Inspire 2 isn't going anywhere for at least a year, probably two. Which means they're not going to go and release a Phantom camera better than the 4S camera.

This leaves improvement in speed, "tracking", battery life and anti-collision. Things that aren't important to me at all. Fully satisfied as it is.. and even though water resistance would be absolutely fantastic and desireable, I dont think it's possible yet.
And video bitrate, while it would be cool to record 4K in 200mb/s, it is completely fine as it is.

What they might do is kill it off entirely. They release a Mavic 2 that has a camera equivalent to the P4P.
That would suck since reselling price would fall a lot. But even though smaller form factor would be cool, it's not a game changer for me. Got a great pack for the drone.. so at least I would still feel that what I have is really good, just maybe not worth so much anymore.

That sums up how I see it. I think the next update will either be a small one, maybe a slightly new design that looks "cooler" but is the pretty much the same. Some more software utilities. Or kill it off with Mav 2. What do you think about the next Phantom?

Reactions: DocDiggler
Older Phantoms look like they have gimbals that can be changed (I never owned one), while the P4 is hidden away. Do you think they'd ever bring more easily swappable cameras to something less expensive than the Inspire? I'd love to put an IR camera on my P4 without voiding the warranty.

I imagine another breakthrough (if technologically possible) would be longer flying time. 40 minutes would be a big deal.

I might not mind a merging of the mavic and phantom. Give me the P4 camera in a very portable package.

I would think that mostly there's going to be apps, cause they have a proprietary Crystal Skies Monitor, that doesn't allow 3rd party apps. Seems too me, they might do Litchi or a similar software that will enforce the current restrictions and allows for monitoring.
On the hardware side, maybe a better lens, hopefully improved 3d goggles? Built in location system, for lost DRONES?
Better motors, those are always going to improve, more efficient.
BQ

Considering what companies like Nvidia, Movidius (now Intel), are doing with Optical Flow image recognition systems and Neural Networks, the next gen Phantom will probably rely on the upcoming image recognition systems to supplant or in some instances replace GPS. Also improved Obstacle Avoidance, tracking, etc. If the FAA gets around to rules governing Autonomous Flights, that might tie into the various safety aspects.

I think dual cameras will be showing up at some point. With the improvements in goggle technology, this would allow full 3D immersion.

I just need better installers and more modular system with easily replaceable parts.

Mmm.. Im consuming all your info.. soon, we will know for sure :cool: just a few more comments..:rolleyes:

I would love for there to be something between the P4P and Inspire 2 camera quality. There seems to be a big jump in price point for the consumer grade and the professional grade, and right now I can't justify spending $5,000 on an Inspire 2, extra batteries, and X4S camera etc. If I could get a bird with an X4S or similar camera, extra batteries and accessories for around $3,000 to $3,500 I would bite.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT