Your Best Advice for New Drone Owners

Accept that there are only two types of UAS owners. Those who have crashed and those who will crash.

If you aren't willing to crash, don't buy one.

Practice, practice, practice flying in all kinds of terrain, locations and weather.

Like fighter pilots not all drone pilots have the skill to fly accurately.

If I could say a few things it would be to

1.Practice with simulator for a bit. It helps with getting used to the controls and builds confidence(turning on props, landing and take off)
2. Fly low and slow away from ALL objects. It's very easy to crash around object, pretty difficult to crash in the air without them (not impossible though). You'll find it very scary (or at least you should) flying your drone higher and higher watching your money fly into the great unknown, so take your time there until you feel comfortable.
3. Practice landing and take off until you have a good handle on it.
4. Dont get over confident, but practice a safe flying experience at each flight.

Reactions: Ebjerke
Honestly, the best advice someone ever told me was to have fun and enjoy what I do with my leisure time. I enjoyed learning about drones, their capabilities, etc prior to buying one. Once I bought one, practicing with it in a small area until I got confident with it. Now, all I do is have fun with it. I bring it all over with me, enjoy my time, and try to educate people about my drone and flying uavs when they ask questions. Simply put: HAVE FUN!
After 25 years as a still commercial photographer I'm having a blast with my P3P and Mavic Pro. I love the elargements I'm making and so do my family & Facebook friends.

My two cents worth when learning to fly my P4 is:
1. Read, study and understand the rules and manuals
2. Never fly in high winds
3. In lighter winds try to fly into the wind going out on a flight so that you have the aid of the wind coming back.
4. Stay close until you are confident that you can control the craft coming and going from any and all angles using all flight modes. As a new pilot once you are first feeling confident, that is in my opinion when you are most likely to be caught by unforseen circumstances, panic and loose control. There is no substitute for flight time. Often when you loose control you only have seconds to recover and the wrong decision can seal your fate.
5. Using a spotter to help you, fly to the edge of your line of sight and then practice by spinning the craft to where you don't know which direction you are heading. Then practice regaining your bearings using only your eyes on the craft. Things are deceiving at a distance. There are threads that explain how to regain your bearings. If you can't figure it out your spotter can guide you back home. Do the same procedure only this time use only on screen information to get back. Keep doing this until your recovery becomes second nature. Do this in "P " mode and after it becomes 2nd nature then practice it in Atti mode. The drift in atti mode can trick you easily at a distance.
6. Avoid Atti mode at longer distances until you are a seasoned pilot. For that matter avoid longer distances altogether until you are a seasoned pilot.
7. "P" mode can often stabilize your position and buy you precious time to figure out your next steps to recovery.
8. As boring as it can be, following a good preflight checklist can save your craft and a whole lot of money.

I bought a cheap drone to learn on, it taught me nothing, it was not very good. Contols were nothing like the P4P, it finally flew over a neighbors house and dropped like a stone. Went over, found nothing. Good riddance.:(
I flew the P4P for 5 minutes and had it pretty figured out in Pmode. After an hour, it was pretty much good and I started experimenting with Atti mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20