You can get close when your drone has a wetsuit.

Love it. I’m a wetsuit man myself. P4 and P4P. Beach flying means sand and spray, the wetsuit saves me from both. When my cast comes off, I’ll be back there. Your video brings back great memories. Thanks.

Thanks for the video I have a wetsuit on my 4 but here I don’t get lots of rain, when it comes we get flooding so I’m prepared for any weather to go video.
Thank you again for sharing.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fantastic video , getting close really brings the viewer in , you start to feel a little bit of those waves from the drone footage.

I thought you might enjoy this : Shot in 2016 , I was testing the Sensors and how they reacted with the waves and the Phantom Wet Suit .

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Fantastic video , getting close really brings the viewer in , you start to feel a little bit of those waves from the drone footage.

I thought you might enjoy this : Shot in 2016 , I was testing the Sensors and how they reacted with the waves and the Phantom Wet Suit .

Phantomrain.org
Coal

I have a wetsuit and a second one for spare parts, great company to deal with!
Greg

Bugger, sent shivers down my spine. Oh my Buddha! I can't see the wetsuit Coal, is it white? There is no way I am going to get that close at the moment although I would love to try. I would have to feel a lot more confident than I do now. Can you tell us does the Phantom have a white wetsuit?
In the video I took the waves were intimately very high and I don't think any drone could survive a 10 foot wave smacking into it. But after watching yours I think I could have got a lot of closer.
It would be great to make a vid about how to fly low over water with a wetsuit, and all the preparation you need to go through prior to trying it. It would have to include finding and using the best insurance.
That's more scary than a horror movie for a drone pilot.

Bugger, sent shivers down my spine. Oh my Buddha! I can't see the wetsuit Coal, is it white? There is no way I am going to get that close at the moment although I would love to try. I would have to feel a lot more confident than I do now. Can you tell us does the Phantom have a white wetsuit?
In the video I took the waves were intimately very high and I don't think any drone could survive a 10 foot wave smacking into it. But after watching yours I think I could have got a lot of closer.
It would be great to make a vid about how to fly low over water with a wetsuit, and all the preparation you need to go through prior to trying it. It would have to include finding and using the best insurance.
That's more scary than a horror movie for a drone pilot.

lol lol , Yes the first Phantom Wet Suit was all white, latter it turned into the ORCA wet suit.
The video is Just letting you know not to panic if your drone gets splashed and that you could still go a little lower to bring the adventure little closer if you dare. lol

Your skill set is getting better and better , and the Wet Suit is going to allow you to find your own personal limits.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the rain.

How far can you see that LumiCube?

Did somebody try to fly very close to the waterfall. Wet suit maybe prevent it get wet but how is about the air flow?

Depending on the light I can see the drone from about 1 km to about 2 km at most. I've only had the wetsuit for a couple of days but it seems perfectly fine. I fly a lot close to the sea, rivers and waterfalls it'll come in really handy for me.

There is no real benefit to the wetsuit in this case. There is no need to fly through the waves, and the original OP could have flown much lower without a wetsuit in his video. The wetsuit will not protect the camera and gimbal, nor will it protect a drone totally submerged in seawater. As soon as the camera lens gets wet from salt spray or actual salt water splashes, the video after that will be ruined by the salt spray/water drops on the lens, and the salt left behind when it dries. I've encountered heavy fog, mist, and even light rain while flying without any wetsuit, and the subsequent video gets ruined by the waterdrops on lens, which then needs a thorough cleaning after the flight with a lens wipe tissue.

Reactions: dronie326
There is no real benefit to the wetsuit in this case. There is no need to fly through the waves, and the original OP could have flown much lower without a wetsuit in his video. The wetsuit will not protect the camera and gimbal, nor will it protect a drone totally submerged in seawater. As soon as the camera lens gets wet from salt spray or actual salt water splashes, the video after that will be ruined by the salt spray/water drops on the lens, and the salt left behind when it dries. I've encountered heavy fog, mist, and even light rain while flying without any wetsuit, and the subsequent video gets ruined by the waterdrops on lens, which then needs a thorough cleaning after the flight with a lens wipe tissue.

Unfortuatnely you speak with little to no experience of flying in the rain, not once have I ever had to wipe my lens with a tissue and water drops do not, do not stay on the lens. Salt spray ?

The Ocean is made of water , more water than salt , a splash of ocean water will not destroy your drone , let alone some spray.

The only thing that you say that has any merrit is that being submerged in seawater can damage the drone and even that is debateable if you can get to it quickly and Rinse it thru.

As more people fly and push the boundaries with there drone and wet suits , they will speak what they know first hand to be true , and recognize those that speak from Fear of the Unknown and things said like Salt Spray

Drops on the lens can be Negotiated easily as you can see in this video below, the wet suits play a powerful role as weather can change on a dime as this video shows as well as the drops coming off the lens in an extreme pour..

We all know that salt water is much more aggressive than the rain water. In your video your flight was according to this fact. You were hoovering pretty long in that heavy rain. It seems to me that you were testing whether the drone is going to fall down or not. It would be interesting to know if somebody already had experienced a drone fall due to the rain. I think it's unlikely.
But salt water is the different story. I would not allow even a splash to the drone.
And about drops on the lens, it's not a lens actually as it is the cover glass or some filter. A drop on this glass can stay pretty long. I had one drop almost all the flight time and it wasn't get off so the air flow from propellers obviously not reach the camera. The video was unusable of course.

Last edited:
We all know that salt water is much more aggressive than the rain water. In your video your flight was according to this fact. You were hoovering pretty long in that heavy rain.

Keep in mind I was not the one flying in Ireland, that was a very gracious client who made the video and extended the hover for the video.

In regards to the Rain Drops or a splash on the lens if you learn to Utilize the c2 key and apply that to the camera drop down at high speed it is very effective in clearing the lens of rain and snow fairly quickly.

The other possibility is that you hover and let the wind blow the drops off and tilt your camera down to continue to record.
The reality is that most people are in panic when it rains and so taking the time to negotiate the lens is not an option that they consider.

I say this because rarely have you ever herd from someone that they Used the C2 Key to drop down and shake the camera and also tried to use the wind to help and the drops stuck on like glue, I have never herd that from anyone yet.

This is because there our some good options to use when flying in the rain or the snow,

The minute you clear the Camera you point it down some until your back to good recording for the conditions your flying in..

The real key to flying in the rain is the take off , you need to keep the camera down until you get your bearing on the rain fall your in,
something again you wont hear because few our purposely going to take off in the rain , but many will take the chance to fly when rain is coming.

The storm clouds our just to much fun to resist. lol

Last edited:
Unfortuatnely you speak with little to no experience of flying in the rain, not once have I ever had to wipe my lens with a tissue and water drops do not, do not stay on the lens. Salt spray ?

The Ocean is made of water , more water than salt , a splash of ocean water will not destroy your drone , let alone some spray.

The only thing that you say that has any merrit is that being submerged in seawater can damage the drone and even that is debateable if you can get to it quickly and Rinse it thru.

As more people fly and push the boundaries with there drone and wet suits , they will speak what they know first hand to be true , and recognize those that speak from Fear of the Unknown and things said like Salt Spray

Drops on the lens can be Negotiated easily as you can see in this video below, the wet suits play a powerful role as weather can change on a dime as this video shows as well as the drops coming off the lens in an extreme pour..

Why are you talking about rain, when the video the OP shared was about flying through saltwater waves, which is what I was addressing. I have flown in light rain, and experienced exactly what I described: the water drops dry on the lens filter and create soft spots in the middle of the video. Salt spray is very corrosive, and your wetsuit does nothing to protect the gimbal and camera. I wish you well in rinsing off your salt water submerged drone, after drowning in the surf, while you dive into the surf with a mask and snorkel looking for it, hoping to find it, with waves smashing you into the rocks you just flew over! Encouraging flying through salt water waves because a wetsuit is on the drone is just foolish, but it might sell a few wetsuits to those that don't understand the purpose of your rain wetsuit, which is supposedly designed to allow you to fly home in freshwater rain, where total submersion is not in play, unlike flying through the surf at the beach!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31