YAFQ - yet another firmware question

Reaction score
Got my new P4 Pro Friday, flew it all weekend and it seemed to fly ok. Only notable thing was apparent less range than the Mavic - video started chopping far sooner than I expected. That said I was in a field full of flying drones. Anyway - so of course when I first fire the thing up it tells me it needs an update as there was a module version mismatch.
Of course it did.
I seem to recall it thought the current firmware was 1.3 something and it wants to install 1.40.02 going on memory here since I don't have the bird with me.
I went ahead and updated the remote as sometimes that at least gets rid of the module mismatch issue but I'm not going to update the bird until I have a sense it won't cause issues.
I realize there seems to always be a few with issues - I'm looking for a general consensus on whether the current firmware is fit for flying duty and actually enhances the P4P in some way.

You can count on people responding saying never update if something isn’t broken and other people saying always update. I always update. As a Part 107 flyer I am technically supposed to keep my drone updated. Have never had a problem updating.

Other than the Geo_Fencing, I have not noticed much difference between the P4P when I got it vs. now after doing updates at every prompt to do so. Never had a problem after an update so far, the quad flies fine, no real issues with video.
Make sure that you have LOS, so that no trees or anything come between you and the P4P while flying. Further out, higher you go to keep LOS. Also, see what it is on 2.4 or 5.8ghz, try changing that if you want, it could make a difference. Make sure you have the antennas in the right position too, keep them pointed at the P4P all the time.
I have not gone much over a mile or so myself, but it worked fine at that distance, just haven't needed to go much further.

LOL - So true! I figured I would have to sift thru to find a reasonable answer. I think you've answered it for me.
I got a little gun shy with a couple of the Mavic updates...

Other than the Geo_Fencing, I have not noticed much difference between the P4P when I got it vs. now after doing updates at every prompt to do so. Never had a problem after an update so far, the quad flies fine, no real issues with video.
Make sure that you have LOS, so that no trees or anything come between you and the P4P while flying. Further out, higher you go to keep LOS. Also, see what it is on 2.4 or 5.8ghz, try changing that if you want, it could make a difference. Make sure you have the antennas in the right position too, keep them pointed at the P4P all the time.
I have not gone much over a mile or so myself, but it worked fine at that distance, just haven't needed to go much further.
Your post is very pertinent to my issue - I had some real issues this weekend with video signal getting spotty and I was not that far away and definitely VLOS. Someone suggested the firmware update but I also have several folks weighing in with recommendations to set it at 5.8 Ghz and bandwidth to 6 mb.

Your post is very pertinent to my issue - I had some real issues this weekend with video signal getting spotty and I was not that far away and definitely VLOS. Someone suggested the firmware update but I also have several folks weighing in with recommendations to set it at 5.8 Ghz and bandwidth to 6 mb.

No issues with latest firmware with ipad mini2. Always fly VLOS 5.8 Ghz and 6 bm here. =)

No issues with latest firmware with ipad mini2. Always fly VLOS 5.8 Ghz and 6 bm here. =)
I updated last night and set the recommended 5.8 and 6mb rate and it seems to have helped immensely. Still not as good as the Mavic but better than before. I did not disable wifi which I will try tonight to
Thanks!

BTW - it seems the 5.8 and 6 settings hearken from the P4 days, wonder why it's still a thing...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4