Wobbly take off after install of camera gimbal mount

Reaction score
Hey guys, got my phantom one a couple days ago been flying it really well with just the gopro mount that came with it, and go pro Itself... I got a gimbal that is supposed to eliminate the jello effect. It didn't come with instructions but got it together by looking at pictures.. Put it on drone with gopro and the stock gopro casing, on accelerate upward its really wobbly now. Any ideas what could be causing the problem??? It wasn't doing this before the gimbal. Thx for help guys. Also new to forums so not for sure if it's in right place to ask questions..

Hey Shane, welcome to the party. Yep, you found the right spot for P1 Help. :D

Did you do an Advanced IMU calibration and a Compass calibration since changing your bird?
Doing those 2 things is a good idea whenever you change anything.

You have added quite a bit of weight to your bird, so you are more likely to encounter VRS in vertical descents. We've all got opinions, now you've heard a couple of mine.

Enjoy the show.

Take a look in my signature for a cool Google Custom Search link for our forum.

Well this one I got isn't one that needs to be plugged in, it's just carbon fiber plates with rubber inserts inbetween them. They are really light weight so the drone is still carrying the same weight as before with the camera.

Did it significantly change the CG (center of gravity) of the quad? Some of the anti-jello mounts move the camera forward, moving the CG forward and throwing off the initial calibration. As IflyinWY stated, it's important to re-calibrate after installing any aftermarket parts.

I didn't think of that changing the (CG) all I've really noticed is the camera does sit lower than without the gimbal , I'll have to look more into it when I get home.. I haven't plugged it up to computer yet since I've had it, is the software automatically installed or do I go to the website and download it?

Shane, you have to go to DJI and download the Naza Assistant. Next, you plug in the usb port inside the battery compartment to the included usb extension, and power up your transmitter, then the quad. In "tools" you will see an option "Advanced IMU calibration." With your quad on the most level surface you can find, run the Advanced Calibration. After that is done, do the compass dance. If it still flies funny, there is a procedure to level the quad as much as possible using a piece of glass and a spirit level, and then running the advanced calibration again.

Alright I'll give that a try thx for info, I don't think I mentioned that my drone didn't come with instructions for some reason, so thx again for giving me the steps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers