Windows 8 USB driver install

Reaction score
I've been trying to install the Windows 8 USB driver in a Gateway desktop computer (running Windows 8) and have run into a brick wall. I keep getting a Power Reset failure and the USB port is disabled. I tried to install the (non Windows 8) driver, and Naza Assistant, on a (borrowed) Dell laptop running Windows XP and had no problems. Has anyone else run into this problem and successfully got it to work? At least I got to check out the system before I try to get the Phantom far enough off the ground to crash.

I originally had similar problems with my Win8 laptop. Sometimes the USB would recognize the Phantom & sometimes it wouldn't. Rebooting my laptop would solve the problem. However, I haven't had any problems in the last month. USB works every time now.

I uninstalled all of the USB entries listed in device manager and rebooted the Gateway. I then reloaded the Windows 8 driver installer. Same results. The computer reports Power Reset Failed and disables the USB port. I'm close to taking a very large hammer to this computer. When I loaded the Naza Assistant and device driver on the Dell the Phantom's LED was a dim green until the driver was loaded, then it went to full on. The LED doesn't light at all when I try to use the Gateway. It's beginning to look like a hardware compatibility issue.

Follow these steps and tell us the results:
1) Ensure your Laptop or PC has internet connection (if Windows requires anything it will download on line)
2) Connect the Phantom to ANOTHER USB PORT
3) Power phantom with battery
4) Wait until it is recognized and configured.
5) Disconnect all
6) Reboot the PC/Laptop
7) Reconnect Phanto USB and Power it
8) Install Naza Assistant

Waiting your results.... :?:

I now have officially learned more about USB ports than I wanted to know. The problem turns out to be available port current. Around the time USB 2 or 3 was incorporated in computers a check was programmed into the system that checked the current draw when an unknown device was plugged in. While a USB port is supposed to provide up to 500ma the program shuts down the port if more than 100ma is drawn by an unknown device. This is part of the Port Reset Failed error. This is from the Microsoft Knowledge Base and is a known problem for the Windows 8 systems.

The solution is to get an externally powered USB hub and connect the Phantom through it. The hub will supply the power needed by the Phantom's USB interface and not draw on the computer for power. I connected the Phantom to the computer through a Gigaware externally powered USB hub and had no problem loading the Windows 8 driver and the Naza Assistent software. It seems the Naza-M's USB port is a bit of a current hog. The bottom line is everything is now working as advertised and it's ready to go flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl