Will this Car Inverter Recharge my Battery?

I use inverters to charge my batteries.... However, the DJI battery NEEDs complete electrical silence! My inverter (150 watts) won't start charging unless the engine is off. Then it will start its job. I'd recommend at least 125/150 watts capacity. You can let it charge while you wait.

That's not so good it won't start charging unless engine is off. Do you think this applies only to your particular inverter, or all inverters?

Thanks

I have only used this particualar inverter on the DJI battery. But having used inverters for over a decade on several different tech devices, The sine wave as mentioned earlier has a significant effect on things that need a certain type of current. It has no appearant harm, but I have needed to coax them into performing their duties. Inverters are great, just play around with it and you'll learn what to do. The DJI charger is at least 50 watts and 100 watts for the bigger model, so get a inverter that EXCEEDS the minimum and it'll work, (with electrical silence)..

And not all good inverters are small. I have a 3,000 watt that will run it, and a 1,000 watt that is the same, but both are quite big and very expensive. The cheaper inverters will run the charger, but you may need to coax them into service. Bottom line, it'll work.

Reactions: sar104
Hi

I am looking for a car power inverter to re-charge my Phantom 3 battery while on the move (it would be a huge bonus.)

I don't have much electrical knowledge, and am wary of buying something that could damage the DJI charger or battery.

Would the following inverter be ok for use with the Phantom 3 charger/battery?

Torq Power Inverter 240V 80W | Departments | DIY at B&Q

Thanks
I know that inverters can be useful for other things too. I have one myself - a cheapo 1500w model and it works well enough.

However, why don't you just buy one of these? I also have one of them and again, it works fine for charging my P3P batteries.

Car Charger Adapter Accessories for DJI Phantom 3 Pro/Standard/4K/Advanced RC366 | eBay

I know that inverters can be useful for other things too. I have one myself - a cheapo 1500w model and it works well enough.

However, why don't you just buy one of these? I also have one of them and again, it works fine for charging my P3P batteries.

Car Charger Adapter Accessories for DJI Phantom 3 Pro/Standard/4K/Advanced RC366 | eBay

Thanks, Steve. I think the car charger option is better for me. Only discovered this option earlier today. I've looked at the pure sine wave inverters, and they are pretty expensive.

However, I did come across an old post regarding the cheap car chargers and it said:

'Like any other product, some car chargers are poorly deisgned and manufactured, others are better. Use one not supplied or recommended by the mfr. and there is a risk of damage and that warranty claims may be denied.'

I use inverters to charge my batteries.... However, the DJI battery NEEDs complete electrical silence! My inverter (150 watts) won't start charging unless the engine is off. Then it will start its job. I'd recommend at least 125/150 watts capacity. You can let it charge while you wait.
I would say you power inverter is unique. My 300w power inverter user manual tells me that power inverters should be used with the car running or your car battery would be damaged and should use the battery clips for terminals when devices are over 150W.

I have a Dodge Ram with a built-in inverter (outlet on the dash). I have used it several times to charge my P3 batteries while driving. It only works when the engine is running. I have also used it to charge the controller. I haven’t had any problems yet.

Why not just buy the DJI car charger for $62 usd. It is DJI so it should work fine, no?

That black box on the charger that came with your Phantom converts 120V AC current to DC (to charge the DC battery). Converting your cars DC to AC with an inverter so your charger can convert it back to DC makes zero sense.

I use one of these:

s-l300.jpg

They're cheap and efficient.

SB

Reactions: Gary Cooper

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl