Will the volocopter fly in the USA?

Of course. Because once you go "full size" and carry people, you cease being a "drone" and become a helicopter (or... technically, a rotory-wing aircraft). As long as they meet all the FAA guidelines/requirements for helicopters, it will fly just as all the other human-carrying helicopters do (and will have to follow all the same rules and guidelines).

The fact that it's electric, and has multiple rotors instead of one will have no bearing on whether it will meet (or not meet) those regulations.

And I'm sure that they are working to ensure they are FAA-ready... just as any other full-sized helicopter manufacturer does.

Flight time is 20 minutes in the prototype. But they are considering a hybrid configuration where the electric motors are augmented by a "range extender" (ie - a combustion engine)... so flight times could exceed one hour by the time they hit the market.

AFAIK, auto-rotation is not an FAA requirement. There are a number of commercial copters that do not auto-rotate. But... who says the Volocopter doesn't auto-rotate anyway? It very well could. I haven't seen any mention of it one way or the other.

Regardless, you don't go into something like this NOT thinking about how you'll make it meet regulatory guidelines. To get this far, and be considering commercial production, I'm relatively confident that they've figured all of that out.

ProfessorStein said:
Of course. Because once you go "full size" and carry people, you cease being a "drone" and become a helicopter (or... technically, a rotory-wing aircraft). As long as they meet all the FAA guidelines/requirements for helicopters, it will fly just as all the other human-carrying helicopters do (and will have to follow all the same rules and guidelines).

The fact that it's electric, and has multiple rotors instead of one will have no bearing on whether it will meet (or not meet) those regulations.

And I'm sure that they are working to ensure they are FAA-ready... just as any other full-sized helicopter manufacturer does.

As of March, this article states currently 'electrics' are banned from carrying passengers.

http://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/faa-s ... passengers

But I suppose, like anything else it's a matter of time.

N017RW said:
As of March, this article states currently 'electrics' are banned from carrying passengers.

http://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/faa-s ... passengers

But I suppose, like anything else it's a matter of time.

Wow. I stand corrected. Nice find, N017RW.

Though I seriously doubt that restriction will fly (no pun intended). The electric PLANE (fixed-wing) market is already on the verge of breaking through. I'm sure the FAA will get an ear-full from those guys.

Manned electro-copters aren't quite ready for primetime yet.

I'd rather buy one of these. Around $35K USD and runs on 87 octane and up to 60-min. flight time --- and plenty of places in the U.S. to land, quickly refuel, grab a coffee and keep on flying! With a Volocopter, you have to land and take a 4-hour nap while the batteries recharge after a measly 20 minute flight.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh2Ym7ehb8k[/youtube]

ProfessorStein said:
Flight time is 20 minutes in the prototype. But they are considering a hybrid configuration where the electric motors are augmented by a "range extender" (ie - a combustion engine)... so flight times could exceed one hour by the time they hit the market.

AFAIK, auto-rotation is not an FAA requirement. There are a number of commercial copters that do not auto-rotate. But... who says the Volocopter doesn't auto-rotate anyway? It very well could. I haven't seen any mention of it one way or the other.

Regardless, you don't go into something like this NOT thinking about how you'll make it meet regulatory guidelines. To get this far, and be considering commercial production, I'm relatively confident that they've figured all of that out.

How could it auto rotate with fixed pitch prop with such a small mass. As it is, if it does get accepted, I sure it would have many restrictions on where it could fly.

Monte55 said:
ProfessorStein said:

How could it auto rotate with fixed pitch prop with such a small mass. As it is, if it does get accepted, I sure it would have many restrictions on where it could fly.

I too was thinking how could it auto rotate with fixed pitch props, but fitting a ballistic recovery chute should be fairly straight forward as there is no large rotating shaft at the CG.

You guys are right, of course. Not sure what I was thinking. Figured it'd be easy enough to have a clutch on the motor that allowed it to free spin, but wasn't even thinking how they were fixed pitch.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl