Will drones be illegal/banned in the near future?

Thank you and I have checked AMA and MAAC provisions. Guess What? There are no exceptions. They have to be licensed as well to legally fly because the new law that went into effect June Ist states all operators shall be licensed, even under Basic. The problem for Americans vacationing in Canada is they must apply for a foreigners permit before taking the test. The waiting period is a minimum of thirty days. I did apply and after 25 days received an email from them saying they were processing my application. If they give me the permit, I will still have to take and pass the test for at least the Basic license. By that time I will be back home. So, I hope those who desire to fly their drone in Canada regardless of their affiliation with any Canadian club or other, do all of this before they arrive months in advance.
So what I did is emailed the president of MAAC, this is the reply I got.... in short it’s coming...the only big question is when....

Date: June 25, 2019 at 11:49:35 AM ADT

To: "'Eddie Langer'"

Subject: RE: MAAC's Transport Canada Regulation Exemption

Greetings
We are currently in discussions with the Academy of Model Aeronautics, with the purpose of revising the current agreement between the AMA and MAAC, to make it possible for the AMA members to fly in Canada. The agreement will have to work both ways, when the American’s get their regs in place.

Peter

Sent: June 24, 2019 10:47 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: MAAC's Transport Canada Regulation Exemption

I’ve been reading a lot on drone forums about American frustrations over the new regulations for drones and apparently its very difficult for non-residents to fly in Canada ... just wondering with the long standing relationship between AMA and MAAC will the exception from part ix of the CARs apply to AMA members as wellie only Canadians?
Thanks.

You don't have to outright ban something to severely decrease the activity. Just keep passing legislative requirements for participating in the activity and you can effectively ban it.

Reactions: Basspig
I don't think that drones will ever be illegal or banned in the future but I do think as drones grow in popularity they will be regulated more and the rules between countries will start to become standardized. That process has already started to happen.

With regard to the new Canadian drone laws, I agree with ealanger - for Canada, it was a move in the right direction. Did I enjoy taking the test and having to pay to register my drones? - not really. I think there has been an attempt by Transport Canada to make the rules more clear and reasonable and in line with other countries. I do think they need to address the immediate problem with non-residents not being able to fly in Canada without jumping through lots of hoops. From what I have been reading on these forums, it seems like the US and other countries are moving to have licensing of drone pilots for recreational flights too, so maybe when that happens there won't be all these hoops to jump through to fly as a non-resident, similar to a drivers license. With my drivers license, I can drive in any other country as long as I have a valid license here in Canada.

In the meantime, for those who want to fly a drone in Canada and aren't able or willing to go through the process to get licensed, there is always the Tello or something similar. I know the Tello is nowhere near any of the DJI drones in terms of range, capabilities and camera quality, but at this time it is the only drone you could fly here without a pilots licence. It would be better than having nothing at all!

Chris

I doubt that North American governments will outright ban drones, however, they will incrementally raise the barriers to ownership until almost no one can fly one legally. We've seen this happen with handguns, then rifles, then ammo. They can't ban it outright without amending the Constitution, so the end run is to make it impossible to buy these things via taxes, regulations, background checks and police chief opinions.

There is no "right to keep and bear drones" in our Constitution, and, unlike automobiles, no necessity, in the minds of the IRS, to own one. Cars are not likely to be banned because the government understands that a mobile population earns a higher taxable income. Banning cars would put most people out of employment and tax revenues would plummet. Banning drones would not have the same effect.

There is a powerful lobby with corporate interest in the 0-400' airspace for delivery drones. They want that airspace for themselves.

It is interesting to note that DJI hasn't released any new drones and the Phantom line seems to be indefinitely on hold. They are branching into robotic toys now. Even spare batteries for the Phantom line have suddenly become scarce on the market. Maybe DJI is privy to some information we aren't?

Gaius Cornelius Tacitus, Roman orator, lawyer, and senator once wrote:
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
(The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.)

At some point, the public will lose respect and trust in their governing body and scofflaws will proliferate.

There are New FAA LAWS!
Read the PDF attachment for all the great news ahead for drone owners I't a good read Not!
Changes Coming in the Future
The FAA is upgrading the online system, known as LAANC (the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability), so that recreational operations can get automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace. (SOMETIME IN THE SUMMER, NEWS FLASH IT IS SUMMER, I AM 69 YEARS OLD AND CAN'T WAIT TO MUCH LONGER.).The new law also requires:
  1. Drone operators to pass an online aeronautical knowledge and safety test and carry proof of test passage
  2. The FAA to issue guidance for how it will recognize community based organizations. (WHAT THE HECK DOES THIS MEAN) ?
The FAA plans to have all of these features and requirements fully implemented by the summer of 2019. (NEW FLASH IT IS SUMMER)
Check our website for the latest updates or follow us on social media for the latest news.
More detailed information about the FAA's plan to fully implement the requirements of Section 349 of the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 may be found on the Federal Register.

Ok, your terrified and an alarmist and you fear an on-line test.
You haven't even seen it yet!

Ok, your terrified and an alarmist and you fear an on-line test.
You haven't even seen it yet!
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A SIMPLE SAFETY TEST , I KNOW IT IS NOT THE 107, THAT ONE WOULD CONCERN ME.
YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT OF THE POST. READ WHAT I HIGHLIGHTED AND COMMENT ON THAT. THE FAA IS DRAGGING THIER FEET IN GETTING THE NEW RULES IMPLEMENTED.
READ ATTACHMENT VERY INFORMATIVE.

Attachments

• AC_91-57B.pdf
    149.8 KB · Views: 238
FYI: Typing in capital letters is considered yelling.

I see you are in a hurry to fly in controlled airspace???

Otherwise, just go fly safely and relax.

FYI: Typing in capital letters is considered yelling.

I see you are in a hurry to fly in controlled airspace???

Otherwise, just go fly safely and relax.
(!!!!!!!!!) this considered yelling). Don't ever think you know me, I am a man of many moods and many colors and you will never see me coming.

(!!!!!!!!!) this considered yelling). Don't ever think you know me, I am a man of many moods and many colors and you will never see me coming.

Just trying to help you understand the etiquette/protocol/decorum of chat forums.
It's got nothing to do with thinking I know you.

Cheers Bud.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4