Will drones be illegal/banned in the near future?

No.

It’s difficult for anyone to convince me that model aviation will be restricted to the point of being illegal.

I can see it happening in the near future,general population not having access to drones,only companies,agencies,corporations etc.
I would think that would be as likely as people not being allowed to own or drive cars.
I've read similar predictions and fears for the last five years but can't see any logic in them.
The longer people are flying drones and using them for all kinds of purposes, the less irrational fear and ignorance of drones there will be.
It's not going to happen.

I can see it happening in the near future,general population not having access to drones,only companies,agencies,corporations etc.
I can see the testing in the near future for recreational pilots more like the 107 certification test.
Have you ever seen a Sectional Aeronautical Chart, good luck.
I fly a TOY not a 747, the 107 test is way over the top. Test for safety. How dangerous is in to fly at 150 feet in the VLOS in a field in controlled airspace when the airport is 3 miles away from me.
Make the test based on reality. Birds, Pilot errors and faulty software that control aircraft is the cause of killing people, not toys.

There are various reasons rules, limitations and eventually bans come about, just a few are : (not in order of importance)

1. Govt / Authorities have nothing better to do and feel need to exert their authority or justify their existence.
2. Stupid owners who disregard basic safety or logic
3. Perceived problems out of fear of unknown or lack of knowledge
4. Media hype and misdirection

Go back to early days of motor vehicles ... fear of them led to a man walking in front waving a flag ... threats of banning which obviously never happened.
Trains ... where claims by 'expert doctors' about harm to health exceeding xx mph speed ...

History is full of such ... it just takes time for it to subside and all become the norm.

What is not needed are the idiots who give purpose to authorities to limit our hobby by disregarding basic safe use.

I would think that would be as likely as people not being allowed to own or drive cars.
I've read similar predictions and fears for the last five years but can't see any logic in them.
The longer people are flying drones and using them for all kinds of purposes, the less irrational fear and ignorance of drones there will be.
I too agree. Drones are here to stay in all forms. I believe there will a thinning of the growth spurt but that's about it.

Exactly. Automobiles were scary things when Henry Ford started his assembly line production line in 1913. Look where we are now. They'll come around. As long as there's more responsible pilots than irresponsible ones. Show respect to gain respect, as Grandma used to say...

Sorry Solentlife. Didn't catch your post before I made mine. We're saying the same things, just in different countries! You're probably using the Queens English, where I'm sloppin it out in Hillbilly, but yeah, what you said!

Well, the writing is certainly on the wall:
New EU proposals are here: CAP1789: The EU UAS Regulation Package – Outline

A lot of reading but one thing that's obvious is that the beaurocrats are doing their usual thing of over complicating things, presumably in the vain hope that it will scare people away because it's too difficult to understand ?

Well, the writing is certainly on the wall:
New EU proposals are here: CAP1789: The EU UAS Regulation Package – Outline

A lot of reading but one thing that's obvious is that the beaurocrats are doing their usual thing of over complicating things, presumably in the vain hope that it will scare people away because it's too difficult to understand ?
We must stand strong,together ;)

Reactions: Shoot4fun
June 1st of 2019 Canada made it illegal to fly a drone of more than a half pound without a license, even recreationally. Every operator must take a written exam of at least 35 questions and pass 65% for hobby and 95% for any other operation. The cost is $10 and can be taken online if you are a Canadian citizen. All others must go through an extensive background check to apply for a permit first... So, I am sure this will soon be the standard in the US, too. The fine in Canada for flying without a license, by the way, is $1000.

We already have plenty of wacky politicians forcing their views on the rest of us here in California. They won't ban drones, but they will make it more difficult to own and fly them.

Reactions: Basspig and MTO
I think with the recent changes to the June 1st Canadian Aviation Regs some strides were made that actually made it better for drone pilots not worse. Eg. 75m lateral distances to objects and people down to only 30m, introduction of night flights, never permitted before, flights now permitted inside aerodromes outside of controlled airspace where we were never allowed before, increasing maximum alt to 120m from 90m

Yes the testing is annoying but it’s no different then licensing drivers to drive cars. (And insureing them as well, MAAC members have drone insurance with membership only about $80 / yr ) With respect to drones being toys, in regcognition of the hobby, Transport Canada also issued an exemption for members of the model aeronautics association of Canada (MAAC) that completely negates the CAR part ix regulations provided certain conditions are maintained for qualifying members.

In short I can’t speak for other countries but I think Canada has made some great strides in improving the previously oppressive interim drone regulations that are fair for Canadians. I agree some provision should be made for those visiting Canada.

Reactions: Phill2
I think with the recent changes to the June 1st Canadian Aviation Regs some strides were made that actually made it better for drone pilots not worse. Eg. 75m lateral distances to objects and people down to only 30m, introduction of night flights, never permitted before, flights now permitted inside aerodromes outside of controlled airspace where we were never allowed before, increasing maximum alt to 120m from 90m

Yes the testing is annoying but it’s no different then licensing drivers to drive cars. (And insureing them as well, MAAC members have drone insurance with membership only about $80 / yr ) With respect to drones being toys, in regcognition of the hobby, Transport Canada also issued an exemption for members of the model aeronautics association of Canada (MAAC) that completely negates the CAR part ix regulations provided certain conditions are maintained for qualifying members.

In short I can’t speak for other countries but I think Canada has made some great strides in improving the previously oppressive interim drone regulations that are fair for Canadians. I agree some provision should be made for those visiting Canada.
Maybe for you but for an American it is not. We cannot fly in your country at all without bending over backwards. On the other hand, you are free to fly in our country as we recognise your Canadian authority. This is quite lopsided.

Maybe for you but for an American it is not. We cannot fly in your country at all without bending over backwards. On the other hand, you are free to fly in our country as we recognise your Canadian authority. This is quite lopsided.
I understand your frustration but as I mentioned there does need to be some provision for visitors. Are you a member of AMA?
MAAC and AMA have a long standing mutually beneficial relationship so that each can fly in the others country.
Have you checked with the AMA to see if the MAAC exemption will be extended to AMA members as well?
Details of the exemption are in the attached.
It might be worth looking into.

Attachments

• MAAC Exemption_EN.PDF
    21.6 KB · Views: 226
  • MAAC Part IX Exemption Guidance Material MW Inputs.docx.pdf
    358.6 KB · Views: 132
We already have plenty of wacky politicians forcing their views on the rest of us here in California. They won't ban drones, but they will make it more difficult to own and fly them.

Too many people watching movies full of buzzing killer drones, or insurance commercials of drones hitting stuff and the occasional idiot that fly’s his /her drone into a baseball stadium. Add a bit of good old fashioned hysteria, hyped up news stories and the usual “not in backyard” left wing environmental types, and we get bans all over the place.

At least the park district in my area has agreed to listen to a proposal I have been working on. It’s taken about a year, but at least they are willing to hear it. Likely as not, it won’t go anywhere, but we all have to at least try.

I understand your frustration but as I mentioned there does need to be some provision for visitors. Are you a member of AMA?
MAAC and AMA have a long standing mutually beneficial relationship so that each can fly in the others country.
Have you checked with the AMA to see if the MAAC exemption will be extended to AMA members as well?
Details of the exemption are in the attached.
It might be worth looking into.
Thank you and I have checked AMA and MAAC provisions. Guess What? There are no exceptions. They have to be licensed as well to legally fly because the new law that went into effect June Ist states all operators shall be licensed, even under Basic. The problem for Americans vacationing in Canada is they must apply for a foreigners permit before taking the test. The waiting period is a minimum of thirty days. I did apply and after 25 days received an email from them saying they were processing my application. If they give me the permit, I will still have to take and pass the test for at least the Basic license. By that time I will be back home. So, I hope those who desire to fly their drone in Canada regardless of their affiliation with any Canadian club or other, do all of this before they arrive months in advance.

Too many people watching movies full of buzzing killer drones, or insurance commercials of drones hitting stuff and the occasional idiot that fly’s his /her drone into a baseball stadium. Add a bit of good old fashioned hysteria, hyped up news stories and the usual “not in backyard” left wing environmental types, and we get bans all over the place.

At least the park district in my area has agreed to listen to a proposal I have been working on. It’s taken about a year, but at least they are willing to hear it. Likely as not, it won’t go anywhere, but we all have to at least try.
Thankfully my city has no regulations and as such I can fly in almost any city park. In fact, the city law enforcement just got themselves a drone to help with police work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.