Why won't it fly....?

Reaction score
A crash removed my camera and gimbal so I bought some spares and set about the repair On completion, I switched on and, to my surprise, everything appeared to check out. I had greens on the drone and r/c, all parts of the app were reporting and the camera was recording so, with props removed, I moved both controls down - nothing! I then checked everything again and was getting "ready to fly" on the app so I tried again but still nothing. In desperation, I used " automatic take off" and the engines burst into life for a few seconds then shut down again. Since then, all efforts to get the engines to fire up have failed so it's obvious that either I've damaged something during my (amateurish) repair efforts or something else was damaged in the initial crash. Any ideas/help from your droners out there would be appreciated. Mike.

Reactions: DarkWolf
Did you replace the camera or just it's ribbon? You may need to flash the firmware if the camera was replaced.

Tnx for responding Eric. The original camera was undamaged so I only replaced the wiring loom that runs from the camera to the circuit board (is that what you mean by the "ribbon"?).I must confess,that "flashing the firmware" means nothing to me! Mike.

@Patandi

Not sure if this helps but some of the phantoms will sense that you don't have props, so that would explain the auto take off started the motors then shut it the back off.

"I moved both controls down" ?
Should be down and in?

Rod

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Tnx for responding Eric. The original camera was undamaged so I only replaced the wiring loom that runs from the camera to the circuit board (is that what you mean by the "ribbon"?).I must confess,that "flashing the firmware" means nothing to me! Mike.
Did you replace the very thin black ribbon or the gray wire harness? Recheck that either one is fully seated at both of their ends.

Reactions: Shoemaker
I have tried with props but no joy. Yes, both controls were "down and in". I only replaced the grey wiring harness as the ribbon "appeared" to be intact and properly seated.

Hum, still have green on the remote, and green on the link light on the phantom?

Rod

I got a new P3s remote
I had to sync it with new controller to my old P3s
I watched a YouTube video
Made it real easy
Maybe that’s the problem

Rookie just trying to help
Good luck

Thanks for your thoughts, generally green on both means there are linked correctly, but... :rolleyes::eek::)

Rod

have you pulled the AC apart and checked all the connections inside? have you tried starting up in AT mode ? Im thinking something internal in the AC had come disconnected or broken in the crash

Tnx to everyone! My son has another P3S and we tried with his r/c - it linked ok but still no luck. I think "epicdoom" has the answer - I'll pull it to pieces again and recheck the connections and if that doesn't work I'll consider seeking professional advice. Big trouble with that suggestion is the fact that the initial cost of P3S is dropping rapidly on the advent of newer models - in the UK at least - and one can be bought for about £360 and I've heard from a friend recently that DJI wanted £330 to repair one with similar damage to mine so it's sometimes more sense to buy new rather than repair!.. Anyway, we'll see!

did it fly after the crash with the damaged camera, could this be from the crash rather then your handy work repairing the camera.

My understanding is the camera hooks to remote
If camera or any wires going to it r damaged it won’t fly

Rookie but had same problem

Great Luck
I bought an ac P3S off eBay for $140.00
Perfect

If I remember correctly you can fly these drones without a camera the camera uses 2.4ghz for wifi only, the actual AC control is done through 5.8ghz

I’m sorry but I tried everything till I put a camera on it(working camera) it would not connect

I would get a good camera from eBay
Try that
If it doesn’t connect u can always sell it for parts
Hope this helps and doesn’t offend anyone’s
Just trying to help

it wont connect to the app that is true, but the control system as in power up of the motors should happen. No offense taken Brother just trying to understand what's going on OP has said the camera was working though after his repair

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72