Why is the Phantom 2 better than 1?

PitStop said:
camelman said:
Looking forward to these results :D

Running Phantom v1.1.1, Vision Props, Zenmuse with gopro 3 black and FPV transmitter.

On a 2200 mah battery I can get around 10m30s flight times with normal flying.

On the standard props I was getting around 8 mins.

Do you know what your total weight is?

For consistency... What is your battery percentage and/or voltage at the end of that flight? And what mode are you recording in with the gopro?

I'll fly a few flights with the iOSD removed so we have an equal comparison.

Those figures sounds unusually high.
I have no doubt that the batteries are being flown well beyond the ideal battery failsafe settings.

the battery limits are at the factory set defaults.

With the standard props I was getting 8min, with the vision props up to 10min 30.

The question is how much capacity remains at the end of the flight? Many aftermarket chargers will provide this info as you recharge. Landing with 20% capacity left is typically recommended, both to preserve overall battery life (number of discharge/recharge cycles) and to allow an energy reserve in case something goes wrong. Clearly some of these data involve deeper discharge. This may be an acceptable trade off for some for who, long flights are a high priority.

Steve

camelman said:

With the standard props I was getting 8min, with the vision props up to 10min 30.

The wind died down a bit yesterday so I went out to check the times and battery remaining etc.
Flying with the phantom 1.1.1, original dji battery, zenmuse, gopro, fpv transmitter and vision props fitted.

Was still a bit gusty and normal flying with plenty of climbs.

Pulled the phantom back in at 8 minutes, battery charge remaining = 32%

deluge2 said:
The question is how much capacity remains at the end of the flight? Many aftermarket chargers will provide this info as you recharge. Landing with 20% capacity left is typically recommended, both to preserve overall battery life (number of discharge/recharge cycles) and to allow an energy reserve in case something goes wrong. Clearly some of these data involve deeper discharge. This may be an acceptable trade off for some for who, long flights are a high priority.

Steve

camelman said:

I routinely get flight times in excess of 23 minutes on my Phantom 2 vision with 15 percent to 20 percent power remaining. When the weather gets warmer it will improve further. The Phantom 2 with Zenmuse h32d gimbal and added FPV required more power and weight so flight times for that setup will understandably be a few minutes less. I believe people are still getting between 15 and 20 minutes with that setup.

I chose to buy the P2 because of the more plug n play config with the zen. It's a nice touch also having the CAN Bus on he landing frame rather than inside the frame.

With the P2/zen/GoPro3+ BE/mini iOSD/fatshark 250mw 5.8 tx/balance power filter I routinely experience 15-17 minutes flying pretty aggressively. I don't run batteries lower than 20%. Everything powered off the P2 battery.

Without the payload, I am getting 22-25 minutes again landing with 20% battery remaining. The 9" blades provide pretty insane lift both with and without camera payload.

The smart batteries are ridiculously expensive at $159 per battery. However, after watching videos of people fussing with connecting the battery on the P1 and delicately stuffing the connected battery into the frame seemed to time consuming. The P2 battery slides in and out easily. And with the push of a button you can see the remaining charge with the four led lights.

BTW, I had same issue with no flight data from mini osd until I updated the firmware. Now, everything works.

Good luck

New P2 owner, reporting 26 minute (stopwatched) flight time. 15 minutes was flying like a maniac while walking around the neighborhood, last 10 or so was lightly hovering around the yard.

when saying how many minutes everyone should also say how warm/cold it was as that is a big factor in flight times....

Phantom 2 H3-2D Zenmuse gimbal, go pro black 3, shooting 1080p 60fps got 19 mins 45 seconds before the battery went to 15%, 70 degrees and windy

Phantom 2 is better. Dealers are probably trying to get rid of old stock. Not sure if anyone's mentioned it but I believe the 2 also has a new Naza.

Another reason why 2 is better is that, You can get many spare batteries at a much cheaper price for the P1, as I did, but it won't help you fly to that bridge that's 5 minutes away unless you don't care if your phantom falls out of the sky on the return flight :D

In reply to your question, I have a Phantom 1 with dual batteries. Bought from DSLRPros. They recently did a test to compare the two platforms. Here is the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPubleP4k88video. In their test they got about 3 minutes additional flight time over the phantom 1 with dual batteries but it takes 2 hrs to charge the Phantom II battery. I am not sure if there is a faster charger out there for the Phantom II but that seems way too long to wait to go and play some more. :)

Does the Phantom 2 indeed have better electronics inside than the Phantom 1?

As a recent Phantom 1 flyaway victim, I'm not sure I'm willing to get back into the game unless I know things have improved.

xzmilan said:
In reply to your question, I have a Phantom 1 with dual batteries. Bought from DSLRPros. They recently did a test to compare the two platforms. Here is the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPubleP4k88video. In their test they got about 3 minutes additional flight time over the phantom 1 with dual batteries but it takes 2 hrs to charge the Phantom II battery. I am not sure if there is a faster charger out there for the Phantom II but that seems way too long to wait to go and play some more. :)

I seriously think those guys botched the charge time for those vids. It only takes me anywhere from 1:30 to 1:40 to charge from empty to full.

They also did not mention that the P2 has the upgraded flight control system which is of course better then the original naza.

I'm sure they did this to sell all of their old P1 stock, and once they do, they'll stop stop selling P1 kits for P2 kits even though they say the P1 is better... which I highly dont think so, being an owner of both.

I wouldn't trust the DSLRPros v1 package comparison to the P2 in any respect. They clearly have invested heavily into their P1 package and need to sweat it as long as they can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31