Why don't drones used cell phone data?

Reaction score
Where I been flying there is a lot of wifi interference. Wouldn't it be easier to use cell phone data instead? Seems like it would stop all the interference issues.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

When I asked that question a while back, someone in the know advised that there was too much latency in the cellular system. To me it is a great idea...if it worked. In concept, as long as your cell has service and your bird is within cell service range, you can effectively control your bird from anywhere. Pointing your controller's antennas toward your bird would be a thing of the past.

Still, I would love DJI to be working on that. Disconnections and poor video downlink drive me up the wall. I guess we have to rely on Lightbridge and Occusync for the foreseeable future.

Im glad it doesn't i'm cheap I wouldn't pay for it to be used on a quadcopter, and if it piggy backed off of cellphones it would need phones with hotspots and not all phones have that.

I have been experimenting with a FlirOne unit, using cell. data to live stream back to the ground. The cell. signal has been causing mega problems with the onboard GPS. That might have something to do with why DJI hasn't delved into the cell. data category yet.

I often fly where there is no cell service, so it wouldn't make sense for cellular data drones. This is especially true for those that film professionally in the wild, remote areas of the world.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20