Why does my P3 film with so much noise

ND filters will help to soften an image, Using a slower frame rate allows more image in and creates a natural motion blur (more natural to the eye). Higher frame rates create a sharper image (good for slow mo or stop frame). But a very hard image. Remember 4K has alot of information to process. It's a point of diminishing return. I think the P3P cam. is really good for the money.
Sorry to be direct, but you are wrong, first you do not reduce noise or grain with filters, and second, higher frames do not create a sharper image, this is higher shutter speed that creates sharper images, and lower shutter speed that create motion blur. You are confusing shutter speed and frame rate here.
What I see in the Op's video is not noise but poor quality, maybe due to an optical problem on the camera, or wrong settings at import or export.

Reactions: Sprague
In my experience... Low iso. shutter speed 2x the Frame rate gives good results. Good luck!

I do have an outdated mac. But, i know thats not the only issue. I have watched other videos on youtube that have great quality and my mac shows barely any if any noise at all. Some of the videos on this forum come out great and my mac has no signs of noise in them. But, everytime I throw my P3P up in the air, I can't get away from the noise/grainy quality. I will give it one last attempt tomorrow and will mess around with shutter speed and iso. Ill check if that works. But, I'm about to call my authorized dealer and complain that I have a defective unit. I cant think of any other reason.
As I said before, I am not seeing noise on my monitor, looks pretty good on my computer.

Your computer really doesn't have anything to do with noise in a video. Have you tried uploading one of your videos to YouTube and then comparing it to others? YouTube compresses the footage like Mike said but also adds some noise reduction.
Another option is adding noise reduction yourself in post like Neat Video but that takes a lot of CPU power.

yeah I had a look at neat video and tried it myself. Definitely an amateur plugin. It doesn't really work and just reduces noise in "sections" at most. The only way to truly get rid of noise is filming it right in the first place, which I'm struggling to do with this P3 camera. I started getting the hang of it this morning. But, I will be making another thread to ask some questions.

Sorry to be direct, but you are wrong, first you do not reduce noise or grain with filters, and second, higher frames do not create a sharper image, this is higher shutter speed that creates sharper images, and lower shutter speed that create motion blur. You are confusing shutter speed and frame rate here.
What I see in the Op's video is not noise but poor quality, maybe due to an optical problem on the camera, or wrong settings at import or export.
you are correct, i meant shutter speed.

yeah I had a look at neat video and tried it myself. Definitely an amateur plugin. It doesn't really work and just reduces noise in "sections" at most. The only way to truly get rid of noise is filming it right in the first place, which I'm struggling to do with this P3 camera. I started getting the hang of it this morning. But, I will be making another thread to ask some questions.

It might be an amature plugin ,although I have seen many professional videographers use it, but I think it does a great job. I'm not sure what you mean about it only reducing in sections. It samples a section you choose with an even color and then applies it to the whole image. Another option is DeNoiser II from Red Giant.

But you are absolutely right about prioritizing getting it right in camera. But in low light situations you are sometimes limited to shoot with higher ISO.

I have plenty of flights with p3 and no matter what exposure or ISO settings its on I ALWAYS pick up so much noise. I figured buying the SRP filter would help. I put on ND 16/CP on today and filmed with multiple exposure/ISO setting and still cant get rid of the noise. How do you guys have videos with no noise.

After multiple tests I've concluded that the P3 camera shooting at 400 ISO or above is unacceptable in regards to the amount of noise introduced.

The best things I have done to reduce or eliminate noise:
- Never shoot with an ISO above 200
- In your custom settings turn the sharpening down to -2. (You can always get sharpening back in post.) i've noticed that having sharpening set to -1 or above does nothing but create "crispy looking" video and just exaggerates noise and artifacting.
- While using an ND/CP if you have to set your ISO higher than 200 to maintain a proper exposure, shoot without the filter.

These settings seem to work well for me.

Here's an example I posted yesterday. It's with the SRP Graduated ND16 to 8. I use the same settings as listed above with the addition of LOG profile, -3 contrast and -2 saturation.

-

Reactions: inspector_tim

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik