Why does DJI allow a CSC in flight?

Reaction score
Every week I read about someone doing aerobatic with their drone and sometimes watching it plummet to the ground after a possible CSC maneuver. DJI should know this is not good for business, and of course reliability.

If anyone from DJI is listening; how about preventing a CSC maneuver if the Visual Position System does not detect the ground within 4 feet OR the P3 is greater than 4 feet above the home point elevation, until the operator confirms on screen they want the CSC. This would allow you to fly and land the drone away from the set home point.

You would need to ensure the VPS was on and working correctly, but the ultrasonic system could be tied to the lookdown camera to compare the two to ensure the VPS accuracy after every initial launch. If the VPS was good to go and didn’t see the ground within 4 feet OR the drone was greater than 4 feet above the GPS home point, there should be a very visible confirmation with an audio beep asking for the operator to confirm the shutdown. If in ATTI mode and the VPS was off, the confirmation should still come up.

Real aircraft have all kinds of redundant safety systems to prevent mistakes, why not a drone.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
There has been one person since Ive been here that THOUGHT he might have dont an accidental CSC. And one moron that did it on purpose. There ARE times when a CSC might be your best bet while flying, at any altitude. Removing it would be a safety issue.

There has been one person since Ive been here that THOUGHT he might have dont an accidental CSC. And one moron that did it on purpose. There ARE times when a CSC might be your best bet while flying, at any altitude. Removing it would be a safety issue.

I'm not asking to remove the CSC, just to confirm you want it if the P3 thinks it's above 4 feet.

Last edited:
What if you don't have an interactive screen? Or VPS? And what is CVC?

Reactions: happydays
Every week I read about someone doing aerobatic with their drone and sometimes watching it plummet to the ground after a possible CVC maneuver. DJI should know this is not good for business, and of course reliability.........
No, the flyer should know this particular multi-rotor is not meant to be "doing aerobatic". It simply isn't built for it. It's a platform for getting a camera into the air. Period.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

No, the flyer should know this particular multi-rotor is not meant to be "doing aerobatic". It simply isn't built for it. It's a platform for getting a camera into the air. Period.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro
Exactly! Its not a toy, though some think they are cool because they have it as a toy, its a tool. One used all over the world in varying degrees for.

If a smart drone knows it's above X feet and allows a CSC without confirmation, why not re-name the CSC to SDP (Self Destruct Procedure). A confirmation would, at best, add a second or two to the shut down.

Reactions: Rider82
If a smart drone knows it's above X feet and allows a CSC without confirmation, why not re-name the CSC to SDP (Self Destruct Procedure). A confirmation would, at best, add a second or two to the shut down.
Because a second or two could save a life. If your in a situation where a mid air CSC is needed then the life of the drone is irrelevant.

Reactions: happydays
I'm not asking to remove the CSC, just to confirm you want it if the P3 thinks it's above 4 feet.
Think of it as a 'kill switch' if you need to abort flight. It can be used as a last ditch effort you need to drop it to avoid a collision. CSC has been on all RC aircraft that use ESC's for many, many years. This is nothing new.

Reactions: Steve Moore
Every week? Please! You should know how many people post with fake accounts to better their own line of UAVs? Or Fan boy's of something other than a Phantom 3 series.
They even post crappy footage on you tube saying it's a Phantom 3 just to mess around.

Dave you know what you have, I like your Sun Shade BTW nice post. Like to see more of your productive information.
You really did not have to post this thread knowing it will cause great undo stress to other Owners like You and I :) and have to read the detractors BS come jumping out.:rolleyes:

styress.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Moore
Every week? Please! You should know how many people post with fake accounts to better their own line of UAVs? Or Fan boy's of something other than a Phantom 3 series.
They even post crappy footage on you tube saying it's a Phantom 3 just to mess around.

Dave you know what you have, I like your Sun Shade BTW nice post. Like to see more of your productive information.
You really did not have to post this thread knowing it will cause great undo stress to other Owners like You and I :) and have to read the detractors BS come jumping out.:rolleyes:

View attachment 23246

Since I'm new to the P3 and the forum world, I posted the thought on the CSC on the hope that DJI might consider safety improvements. My intention was not to create stress for anyone. I’m just fearful I'll accidently perform a CSC myself.

Since I'm new to the P3 and the forum world, I posted the thought on the CSC on the hope that DJI might consider safety improvements. My intention was not to create stress for anyone. I’m just fearful I'll accidently perform a CSC myself.
Like I mentioned, this has been the way it has been done since ESC's have been used in rc aircraft. There is no need to change anything as it works well. It would be near impossible to preform a CSC in flight unless you intended to do one. Get some flying under your belt and you will agree. Most CSC fears are new folks with little to no flight time.

Like I mentioned, this has been the way it has been done since ESC's have been used in rc aircraft. There is no need to change anything as it works well. It would be near impossible to preform a CSC in flight unless you intended to do one. Get some flying under your belt and you will agree. Most CSC fears are new folks with little to no flight time.

+1

Every RC heli I've owned has this kill switch, or throttle hold as they often refer to it. If I were to accidentally flip this switch, I would most certainly crash since I have yet to learn how to autorotate. This is why I know that it should ONLY be used in the event of a loss in control or any other failure that could lead to a crash. The reason you never hear about anyone accidentally doing this is because they are fully aware of what will happen if it is triggered. After all, it was built, programmed, and tested by this person... There's a reason why you never find the larger RC Heli's ready to fly out of the box. They will do a lot more damage when in the hands of someone that does not fully understand how to operate it. Hearing about people testing out the CSC function simply confirms this. It has nothing to do with DJI's implementation of the feature.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ

" It would be near impossible to preform a CSC in flight unless you intended to do one."

Yet newbies seem to do it once a week unintentionally. For this very reason the whole CSC procedure should be re-evaluated. Just because it's not changed since the dawn of drones, is no reason NOT to look at the procedure once in a while.

Reactions: Accuracy One
" It would be near impossible to preform a CSC in flight unless you intended to do one."

Yet newbies seem to do it once a week unintentionally. For this very reason the whole CSC procedure should be re-evaluated. Just because it's not changed since the dawn of drones, is no reason NOT to look at the procedure once in a while.

If these same newbies had RTFM, it would not happen.

You can't fix stupid.

CSC based on sensors doesnt work. CSC allows to turn off motors if your quad is upside down (=non-barometer sees unlimited altitude, and barometer needs calibration indoors/isnt as reliable)

if anything id' be nice for the CSC to be a non-stick command or to have a regular throttle stick ;)

Reactions: taroh

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31