Why do people update firmware?

It seems like new firmware is as likely to introduce an issue as resolve one. The physical characteristics of the drone don't change, so once the ACs computer "knows" how to fly itself, it should be able to do so indefinitely. The main reason to change the firmware, is to keep the drone compatible with the updates happening in programs the drone must interact with. Since it's a machine, not a personal computer, it doesn't really need to interact with outside programs. It's almost completely a closed system. Common sense indicates that if the software in a closed system is acceptable, it does not need updates, though cosmetic updates could still be implemented if desired. I think (speculation) that DJI calls them upgrades to imply that your drone is getting better and better after each. Don't be a fool! You can't teach an old dog new tricks. If your drone can function as specified, no "upgrade" is going to beat that.

Not trying to be rude, but this statement is full of a lot of incorrect assumptions. It might "seem" that to you, using "common sense", that updates are nothing more than "cosmetic", but the longer your paragraph of suppositions got, the more you indicate how little you know about how these things work.

These UAVs are full of interconnected logic systems. The motors have ESCs. Your BATTERIES have updateable firmware. These are complicated, interconnected systems that are highly configurable, as one should be able to deduce by looking at all the flight/craft configuration parameters in the GO app.

And it's not entirely closed either, considering that DJI supplies third party companies with an SDK that allows people to supply their own controller software (Litchi, Airnest, etc.). Some of those apps had problems that weren't fixed until DJI updated the firmware.

The craft and batteries for my P3P have been updated multiple times for performance problems because some people had issues, which DJI corrected for, then made sure the rest of the world didn't experience those same issues. That's not cosmetic. Also, the motors have had enhancements to limit their output to keep them from and the batteries from damage. Not cosmetic.

This is all aside from the many features implemented. For example, my first P3P only had 2 intelligent flight modes, even though the owners manual described 4. Now there are 5. Not cosmetic.

It's not all documented, but enough of it is to show that most of the updates have been beneficial.

These are all things that have actually happeedn, not hairs of imagination plucked from the nether regions of my behind.

Not trying to be rude, but this statement is full of a lot of incorrect assumptions. It might "seem" that to you, using "common sense", that updates are nothing more than "cosmetic", but the longer your paragraph of suppositions got, the more you indicate how little you know about how these things work.

These UAVs are full of interconnected logic systems. The motors have ESCs. Your BATTERIES have updateable firmware. These are complicated, interconnected systems that are highly configurable, as one should be able to deduce by looking at all the flight/craft configuration parameters in the GO app.

And it's not entirely closed either, considering that DJI supplies third party companies with an SDK that allows people to supply their own controller software (Litchi, Airnest, etc.). Some of those apps had problems that weren't fixed until DJI updated the firmware.

The craft and batteries for my P3P have been updated multiple times for performance problems because some people had issues, which DJI corrected for, then made sure the rest of the world didn't experience those same issues. That's not cosmetic. Also, the motors have had enhancements to limit their output to keep them from and the batteries from damage. Not cosmetic.

This is all aside from the many features implemented. For example, my first P3P only had 2 intelligent flight modes, even though the owners manual described 4. Now there are 5. Not cosmetic.

It's not all documented, but enough of it is to show that most of the updates have been beneficial.

These are all things that have actually happeedn, not hairs of imagination plucked from the nether regions of my behind.

Are you sure your not trying to be rude? Lol. Anyway, I said almost completely closed system, not completely FYI. Also, batteries and the app are part of the flight system, NOT external programs at all. Point being if they work together in an "acceptable" fashion , a software update is not required. And BTW, your drone doesn't NEED to interface with external programs. And yes, when I said "if your software is acceptable" I meant you are not experiencing software problems. If your software is "acceptable" as defined above, any update would only be cosmetic anyway, or provide a new feature (or restriction most likely). I don't want to argue with you. Your position is emphasizing the benefits of updating, and all I'm saying, is that there is nothing wrong with sticking to a version that works for you. And the reason you can do this is because the drone, its battery, and even the app requires no external connection, even though such a connection is possible. I'll be frank, I KNOW that what I am saying is true, that's why I said it. So don't respond with crude statements until you really know what I'm saying.

Cheers

Your position is emphasizing the benefits of updating, and all I'm saying, is that there is nothing wrong with sticking to a version that works for you.

No, your position was quite clearly that there are no benefits to updating. Read your post again.

My position was if your current firmware was "acceptable" you don't need to update. This statement implies you should update if it is NOT acceptable, and another version improves that. This is where you should say," ok, I see your point," unless of coarse you still don't understand.

It seems like new firmware is as likely to introduce an issue as resolve one. The physical characteristics of the drone don't change, so once the ACs computer "knows" how to fly itself, it should be able to do so indefinitely. The main reason to change the firmware, is to keep the drone compatible with the updates happening in programs the drone must interact with. Since it's a machine, not a personal computer, it doesn't really need to interact with outside programs. It's almost completely a closed system. Common sense indicates that if the software in a closed system is acceptable, it does not need updates, though cosmetic updates could still be implemented if desired. I think (speculation) that DJI calls them upgrades to imply that your drone is getting better and better after each. Don't be a fool! You can't teach an old dog new tricks. If your drone can function as specified, no "upgrade" is going to beat that.
I don 't think you can make assertions "new firmware is as likely to introduce an issue as resolve one" unless you know what has been changed in a firmware release. It's a complex system, it's not realistic to expect DJI to test every possible setting under every condition.

Pushing out a firmware update for DJI is a big deal. They need to manage version checking, regression testing, the actual mechanics of performing the update, etc. If they are looking for updates to "imply your drone is getting better and better", it would be far easier to push out updates to the DJI Go apps.

You can teach an old dog a new trick when it's not actually dog, but a device that runs code.

I don 't think you can make assertions "new firmware is as likely to introduce an issue as resolve one" unless you know what has been changed in a firmware release. It's a complex system, it's not realistic to expect DJI to test every possible setting under every condition.

Pushing out a firmware update for DJI is a big deal. They need to manage version checking, regression testing, the actual mechanics of performing the update, etc. If they are looking for updates to "imply your drone is getting better and better", it would be far easier to push out updates to the DJI Go apps.

You can teach an old dog a new trick when it's not actually dog, but a device that runs code.

True about the old drone new tricks. I was referring to the fact that the drone's physical attributes don't change, but I get your drift. It certainly must be hard for DJI to get each update right, based on some issues people on the forum have encountered, but that's just another reason to be cautious.

Usually DJI does it to improve the camera settings, but lately they have been fighting off terrorist by implementing mandatory updates.
I just had my controller replaced under warranty and the da** wouldn't even connect until I updated the controller firmware and then it also required a firmware update on the P3 Pro. Couldn't figure out a way around it if I wanted to get back in the air!

Still fly on factory stock firmware with a locked down I-pad, never one single issue, as for NFZ, I have this thing called a brain that adults can use to make decisions for themselves.
Mt friend update mad and now can not fly as of last week within 5 miles of his home as there was a ww2 grass landing strip under a housing estate built over in the 1960's where we live.
His drone is now a door stop.

I just wondering why do people update their firmware when their drone is flying perfect. It's not going to do anything that is not doing now if anything it will do less and it you risk bricking it. I'm 1.7.9 and get 1200m on phantom 3 standard no way am I going to update it till I have to
Best way to go
If it flies OK as is don't update

I upgrade with every release of new versions of software. Should I need support, I like to be at the current level ... support is usually better. The motivator to upgrade is my hope that the Intelligent Flight Modes will finally work ... that is, I will be able to get into and out of a mode freely. In my experience, I can enter an Intelligent Flight Mode but have difficulty exiting them. So, I fly manually. Then I wait for the next upgrade and hope for a fix. Is there anyone else that has difficulty entering and exiting Intelligent Flight Modes. I have the problem with the P4P+ controller, with the standard controller using an iPhone or iPad, and with my Moverio BT-300 controller. I try to exit using the "pause" button or using the red "stop" icon on the left of the screen. Both without consistent success.

Since I (and the FAA) consider my sUAVs to be aircraft rather than toys, I have to believe that if I'm ever involved in an incident of any kind, a couple of the first questions DJI and/or the authorities are going to ask are:
1. Are you running the latest firmware?
2. Are you using OEM equipment.

It's why I upgrade as soon as new firmware appears to be stable and never use non-DJI props and batteries. But that's just me.

Reactions: kennedye and Mackie
My take on it after bricking my P3Pro ... and I am no idiot when it comes to updates or FW changes ...

a) FW updates may introduce new or improved features, but the level is so small and most people would never use or know they are there.
b) With best procedures in the world - you can never g'tee FW update will go well ...
c) Its no good reading forums about whether FW is good or bad ... you will find posts on both sides of that argument- so who's right ? Both - because 1. They probably followed the update correctly but machine fails to update, 2. They failed to do the update correctly, 3. Just plain unexplainable ...

Most people are looking for smooth flight / video experience. Some look for extra functions such as Follow Me, Orbit etc. - but near all of these are based not on FW but on GO or Litchi anyway...

I have received my P3Pro back from repair and I find it interesting that DJI installed 1.10.09 FW and not the latest 1.11.20 .... that says more to me than anything else.
I have test flown the P3Pro since and it is stable, excellent in fact. No complaints. I even flew it with lastest Go for Android. I have yet to try with latest version of Litchi - but I do not expect any difference.

I believe that for majority of users - no need to update from working solution .... Don't Fix what aint broke.

Nigel

Since I (and the FAA) consider my sUAVs to be aircraft rather than toys, I have to believe that if I'm ever involved in an incident of any kind, a couple of the first questions DJI and/or the authorities are going to ask are:
1. Are you running the latest firmware?
2. Are you using OEM equipment.

It's why I upgrade as soon as new firmware appears to be stable and never use non-DJI props and batteries. But that's just me.

Sorry but that's incorrect.

What is an issue is that you use RECOGNISED REPUTABLE items .... OEM is not specified. It is YOUR choice if you wish to go that route.
If you go Commercial and Certificate a unit and qualify for Licence - the items used will be part of the Certificate. It will therefore be incumbent on you to continue to use the items as per Certificate.
You could have Uncle YoYo's batterys for all they care - as long as they work and satisfy that requirement. As to FW - regardless of Version you have installed - its still RECOGNISED OFFICIAL DJI ....

Finally as I have posted earlier - DJI themselves when repairing my P3P this last two weeks installed FW 1.10.09 - for all they know - my P3P could have official Certificate .... so how does that fit with your 'FAA claim' ?

Nigel

H'mm.

New features such as ?

To be honest, in general , the 'new features' are nothing but bothersome issues IMO. So, okay, the no fly zones might have been updated, but we have common sense by knowing where we should and should not fly anyway.

On updating firmware my first few flights are cautious ones to discover if the a/c parameters have altered at all. So far they haven't drastically but come the day ................

Since there has not yet been a reply from the chief advisors as to why we should update firmware then I feel I will join the ranks of the WAIIIW (Why alter it if it works?) for the P3's anyway.

The above relates to a/c. My wife's' firmware updates, however, are a different matter. I do have extreme trouble on a daily basis with them which even the combined brains of Big Al - Dirkclod - Meta - Mr. Singer and Ian zone couldn't hope to to patch. If only there was an effective remote control. :)

There is nothing like a good flight - the a/c does as I tell it.

Sorry - I digress :rolleyes:

Its my age .....................

The P3's should have had all the bugs ironed out by now, so it will be highly unlikely I will update from now on.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl