Who you folks who fly LONG GS missions

Reaction score
1 question for you folks who long long distance.....
If you fly a GS mission out of range.... and assuming its out of RC range and FPV range you are flying blind right ? Like unless you have a tracker/flytrex you are literally just hoping for it to fly back to you, right ???

Been playing with GS lately, doing flights.. good fun but never gone out of range...

but yeah, just curious :)

I absolutely love Coffee's custom GS app. True, once out of control range the bird is on its own and you are relying on the flight controller to do its job and bring her back home. But so long as you stay abreast of height requirements and range limits it works great. I do recommend a tracker of some sort, with my own personal choice being the Flytrex Live 3G. The big plus for the Live is you can watch your bird's flight progress in real-time via a computer or the Flytrex phone app.

Did a GS mission twice now with 10 or so waypoints.. all basically around me, kind of circling the home point nothing to far at all, or to close... and easy turns for it to make..
I noticed after it got to WS4 it would say some error and all the waypoints dissapear, then slowly repear.. then dissapear etc etc... something isn't right basically ?
Any know what I am talking about ?? Unfortunately didnt remember to screenshot the error. but yeah they would get uploaded again it said I think, then they were drew back on.. basically those ojnes didn't finish well..

With a GS mission with say 4 way points it was 100% fine... but with a large number it seems to have issues ??? perhaps the onboard RAM wasnt prepaired for more than 6 WS or some **** ??

Anyone else expierenced this ?????

Seems stupid and totally ruined my fun play with GS... end of the day I was only playing... but yeah pretty stupid if its a bug or some ****.. if known work around then group ?

So im summary... 10 WS set.. all uploaded.. flight starts fine.. gets to WS4.. then ses WS5 uploaded again.. the rest disappear.. WS6 uploaded again.. rest disapear.. it could only handle one at a time ??

Not a big problem cause I don't use GS ever... and I suppose I could just use 4-5 waypoints or whatever works.. but curious if anyone came across this or what is reasoning for this ?

running the latest everything including ilovecoffee app and firmware.. not the 3.10 or what ever it was that revoked, the one before.. :) the one most people run.

People tend to get confused when they see funky stuff happening on screen when flying a ground station mission. The app is only trying to sync with the Phantom to get its current status. If the points disappear and reappear or it says downloading/uploading it's only because the app constantly re-downloads the waypoints FROM the phantom to display it on the app.

Simply put, when you hit GO on a ground station mission every single coordinate of every waypoint is uploaded to the Phantom itself and the Phantom does not need any more additional information from the app. There are checks to make sure the data was uploaded correctly also. If it goes out of range it still has all the data it needs to finish the mission successfully even if your phone/tablet isn't connected anymore.

How far distance is it safe to go using love coffee App in GS and heading home before Batt gets too low?

brianmclellan said:
My question is, if you are on a long mission, and you go out of range, will that not trigger the come home?

Not sure about the long distances with any alternative apps, but my early testing with DJIs app ground station saw the mission continue even if I switched off the transmitter. I was trying to replicate what would happen if the aircraft lost contact with the transmitter.

I have set up a few waypoints missions at the extreme edge of the DJI range, lost FPV but saw the phantom continue on its mission. Its is comforting to hear it come back into earshot after a few minutes!

brianmclellan said:
My question is, if you are on a long mission, and you go out of range, will that not trigger the come home?

No it will not. When on the GS mission the aircraft does not rely on the controller whatsoever. The way points are uploaded to the aircraft when you press go and when the mission completes the aircraft is left at the home point at altitude. If at that point your control signal wasn't available it would just start the landing sequence of an RTH. If the control signal is available, control is returned at the end of the mission.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl