Which iPad Pro (10.5) memory size should I buy?

Reaction score
Hello P4P pilots. I need to update my iPad and I'm looking at the iPad Pro (10.5). Can you share if there is a benefit for larger memory than the base 64GB? Choices are 64GB, 256GB and 512GB.

Has anyone run into issues not having enough memory? In what situations?

Some background:
  • I use the iPad with AutoPilot, Drone Deploy, 3DR Site Scan, Pix4D capture and of course, DJI Go 4.
  • I do not download images to the iPad or use it for personal use... just for drone mission planning and flights.
  • I've never had a noticeable memory problem on my old 16GB device (but definitely running into new app compatibility)

Thank you,
Steven

*I hope this is not a repeated question... if so, please point me in the right direction

Last edited:
Can you share if there is a benefit for larger memory than the base 64GB? Choices are 64GB, 256GB and 512GB.
RAM and Processor speed is the biggest issue. 64gig of internal drive space should be fine for your purposes. The faster the processor and the more RAM, the better.

You might consider the older 9.7 pro due to it fits better in the holder. My 9.7 worked flawlessly but was stolen. I replaced it with the 10.5 and I have to cram it into the holder. My 9.7 was 64 gig. You can save some bucks with the older used version.

Geo

Reactions: grtday
Hello P4P pilots. I need to update my iPad and I'm looking at the iPad Pro (10.5). Can you share if there is a benefit for larger memory than the base 64GB? Choices are 64GB, 256GB and 512GB.

Has anyone run into issues not having enough memory? In what situations?

Some background:
  • I use the iPad with AutoPilot, Drone Deploy, 3DR Site Scan, Pix4D capture and of course, DJI Go 4.
  • I do not download images to the iPad or use it for personal use... just for drone mission planning and flights.
  • I've never had a noticeable memory problem on my old 16GB device (but definitely running into new app compatibility)

Thank you,
Steven

*I hope this is not a repeated question... if so, please point me in the right direction

I forget who said it, but it was someone in the early days of computers: “There will never be a need for anything more than a 1.44MB floppy disk”.
We all know the rest of that story.

I bought the 256GB version of the 10.5” IPad Pro. It was an upgrade to my 32GB IPad Air 2. It was a serious upgrade too, and a very powerful one, and I am very happy with it. I thought 256GB was a good compromise between price and forward compatibility as I found more uses for it. As it is, DJI GO 4 is a little over .5GB itself now. It’s the largest App on my device. Anyway, 256GB is my suggestion if you’re going to purchase a device with the capabilities that it has..

And, don’t try and force the 10.5” IPad into your fully extended tablet mount. It’s not a wise solution for such an expensive and fragile device. Buy a simple device extender on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Anbee-Extend...hantom+4+tablet+extender&tag=phantompilots-20

I glued three of those foam earplugs under the upper flange on mine, and it works great holding the tablet in place without putting undo force on it.

I use the 10.5 Ipad pro 265G because I already had it for when I fly the plane and use foreflight. Like Geoelectrical said, its a tight fit, but it has all the speed for any of the programs I have in it. Yeah, its a bit much for drone flying, but I already had it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20