Where to fly in Goodyear, AZ

Reaction score
Going on a trip to Arizona and hoping to take my Phantom 2 to get some shots in. Called a few parks in the area and they say drones aren't allowed. I was looking for suggestions of good places to fly in the area.

Hi LPilot -

There are plenty of places on east side (Mesa, Tempe, Chandler area) where I live which I'd be happy to share with a PM. That's assuming you're willing to drive 45 mins or so to reach the east end of the valley.

Sorry, I don't know much about the west side. There's a nice nuclear power plant which I'm sure would be thrilled to see you fly over...

Last edited:
There is a state park probably an hour from Goodyear called Picacho Peak state park. Drones are welcome and you can get some great shots with craggy topography and lots of saguaros. Btw, what parks said you couldn't fly?

Thanks, that sounds great. I'll definitely look into that.

I called White Tank Mountain. And the guy said I wasn't allowed to fly anywhere in the area. That was really close to the hotel I will be in so it was very convenient. Do you have any idea if that's just a technicality or is it strictly enforced?

Another place you might try is a bit closer to Goodyear: Lake Pleasant. There are lots of cactus and interesting topography there in addition to the lake itself. I am not sure about the rules up there vis a vis drones but I would be surprised if you had any trouble. Be sure and post some pics!

On that Estrella Parkway check out the really cool Estrella Star Tower. I was there last year but didn't have my Phantom with me. Lots of open land.

IMG_6144.jpg

IMG_5993.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

IMG_6121.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

Going on a trip to Arizona and hoping to take my Phantom 2 to get some shots in. Called a few parks in the area and they say drones aren't allowed. I was looking for suggestions of good places to fly in the area.
I am going to Skyline Regional Park at the south end of the White Tank Mountains. There are public and state trust lands that the BLM told me drones are permitted. Also I could find no restrictions in Buckeye's laws. I called Buckeye muni airport and the airport manager was cool with it, with my notification. Let me know if I can be of any other help.

On that Estrella Parkway check out the really cool Estrella Star Tower. I was there last year but didn't have my Phantom with me. Lots of open land.

Thanks for the tip. I live in Litchfield Park and will visit there. One thing I wonder how late you were flying? I think we are grounded after night fall. I would take care in posting pictures taken after dark.

Duh! Just looked back and realized those are not drone photos! MY BAD. :)
I took those with my Canon but if there is no regs in place that prevent you from flying it will make a good subject. In fact if I get time to drive up there I may just do that while I am visiting the valley of the sun as I will be here for a couple weeks.

PS - You can fly after dark as a hobby flier.

There is a state park probably an hour from Goodyear called Picacho Peak state park. Drones are welcome and you can get some great shots with craggy topography and lots of saguaros. Btw, what parks said you couldn't fly?

Just FYI, from azstateparks.com:

Q: Can I use my drone/plane (Quadcopter/UAV) in a state park?
A: The current rule is all recreational drone use is prohibited in state parks. Commercial use will be evaluated with a Filming Permit for news, publicity, and promotional purposes. Film Permit rules require insurance and a current FAA drone registration permit. Final decision and any fees associated with access is at the discretion of park management. Access to areas beyond park boundaries (National Forest, State Trust Lands, Game & Fish and other agencies) may require additional permission and/or permits. Please consult with appropriate agency for details. As local, state and national laws and technology continue to change, ASPT will evaluate updates to current rules.

Another tip in this area. Skyline Regional Park, Buckeye, AZ is a good location for desert flora and fauna. I flew there today after talking to a Buckeye PD officer who works that park. He also verified we may fly on State Trust and BLM Public Land but you have to have either a recreational or hunting license for those lands. I had talked to the Phoenix Regional BLM office and he was where I first found out those are good possibilities for flying. Just everybody remember safety first, FAA rules and to not be an annoyance to others. Don't screw it up!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31