Where to Fly E. Mesa, AZ East Valley

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, new to the group and to the drone world. After flying R/C Gliders for many years decided to get into drones. Recently purchased a P4A and love it as the transition from R/C flight was easy. Looking for places to legally fly in the East Valley, so many airports, helipads and restricted or banned airspace. I've used Freestone Park in Gilbert, but last weekend had someone with an Inspire jump in and came within inches of knocking me out of the air. If you're on here get a life or at minimum some flight etiquette because I know you saw me. Would like to meet local flyers and join any local groups.

Welcome to the group, especially the southwestern section. I’m in Tucson. Lots of wide open BLM land around here for flying plus any and all other types of outdoor recreation with no one to bother or be bothered by.

Hello Seabee, True about BLM land, but all of it local to the East Valley is designated wilderness area so No Fly. I haven't seen anything about State Trust Land. I know you have to have a permit. Has anyone flown on trust land?

Hello Seabee, True about BLM land, but all of it local to the East Valley is designated wilderness area so No Fly. I haven't seen anything about State Trust Land. I know you have to have a permit. Has anyone flown on trust land?
I'm also down in Tucson and have flown on State Trust Land. I believe the permit is valid for a specific activity (hiking, photography, etc.) for 6 months. Application process was pretty easy.

I'm also down in Tucson and have flown on State Trust Land. I believe the permit is valid for a specific activity (hiking, photography, etc.) for 6 months. Application process was pretty easy.
Hello az, Thanks for the information and I did check on State Trust Land Use and they definitely not drone friendly same rules basically as State Parks. Not saying you can't do it, but very frowned upon according the representative I spoke with. I did find a place out near the East end of Southern Ave. where you can take off from a public turnaround and fly over desert scrub. Not good for photos as you're too far away from the Superstitions, but ok to practice flying skills. It is the only place I could find on the East Side not inside class D airspace. No flight restrictions that I can find anywhere near so should be safe.

Hello az, Thanks for the information and I did check on State Trust Land Use and they definitely not drone friendly same rules basically as State Parks. Not saying you can't do it, but very frowned upon according the representative I spoke with.

I guess it all depends on the location. We had a group fly in Texas Canyon, east of Tucson and never encountered a problem (permitting or otherwise).

Check out Ryan Gordon's flight video from the Peralta Trailhead just east of the Superstitions. He flies from the parking lot and gets some incredible views from there.

I guess it all depends on the location. We had a group fly in Texas Canyon, east of Tucson and never encountered a problem (permitting or otherwise).

Check out Ryan Gordon's flight video from the Peralta Trailhead just east of the Superstitions. He flies from the parking lot and gets some incredible views from there.

Great footage and I've watched a lot of Gordon's YouTube posts on the Superstitions and the Dutch Hunters. Not worth the risk for me though as I talked to a Ranger and was told that the parking lot is considered part of the Superstition Wilderness Area and Drones are not allowed. He might be misinformed as there seems to be a lot of confusion even with authorities when it comes to drones. With laws constantly in flux it seems the authorities are not up on the latest and anything drone is bad news as far as they are concerned. I might be wrong, but didn't Ryan shoot most of his stuff early on like 2015 or very early 2016 before it was heavily regulated?

I might be wrong, but didn't Ryan shoot most of his stuff early on like 2015 or very early 2016 before it was heavily regulated?
Could be. His most recent upload from there was last week, but it could be from an old flight. Totally agree that authorities aren't always current, especially when it comes to drones. I agree with your risk assessment after talking to a Ranger. Even when on firm legal ground it probably is not worth the hassle factor if confronted.

Just an update for anyone that sees this post. I talked to a different representative concerning State Trust Land and was told as long as you adhere to Part 107 Rules for recreational operation you can fly on State Trust Land. You have to have a recreational use permit which has a reasonable yearly fee. This does not include State Parks just open State Trust Land. That is two completely different takes on the subject from the State Land Department. I am going to see if I can get some kind of confirmation on which take is correct. There is so much confusion concerning Drone Operation Rules that I'm sure you can be told one thing today and it will be different tomorrow. Obviously that is a big problem if your flying along thinking everything is good and a Ranger shows up and tickets you. I will get to the bottom of this and post the outcome once I have the whole story.

Hello az, Thanks for the information and I did check on State Trust Land Use and they definitely not drone friendly same rules basically as State Parks. Not saying you can't do it, but very frowned upon according the representative I spoke with. I did find a place out near the East end of Southern Ave. where you can take off from a public turnaround and fly over desert scrub. Not good for photos as you're too far away from the Superstitions, but ok to practice flying skills. It is the only place I could find on the East Side not inside class D airspace. No flight restrictions that I can find anywhere near so should be safe.
I just moved here from Texas and finding a place to fly practice seems difficult here. Please post any drone friendly areas that we can fly.

Hi guys. I just want to note that any regulations that you learn about that might forbid drone operation is only applicable to launch and retrieve activity. If you launch outside the area with regulations forbidding drone operations, you can legally take off OUTSIDE of that area and fly over any national park, state park, preserve or wilderness area. The FAA controls the airspace, so unless there's an actual NFZ by the FAA for the area, it's legal to fly over those areas. The Superstitions for instance, I launch at the Mining Camp Restaurant parking lot (temporarily closed from a fire) in a nearby neighborhood and fly to the top of Superstition Mtn, almost legal considering the VLOS guideline. Actually, I'm technically 300' within the wilderness area, but nobody is there to complain, it's a ghost town. It's a great flight to the top, video below.

Here's Airmap showing there are no NFZ in the Superstition Wilderness areas

upload_2018-2-15_12-56-42.png

upload_2018-2-15_12-57-2.png

upload_2018-2-15_13-42-29.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BeeLab
Just an update for anyone that sees this post. I talked to a different representative concerning State Trust Land and was told as long as you adhere to Part 107 Rules for recreational operation you can fly on State Trust Land. You have to have a recreational use permit which has a reasonable yearly fee. This does not include State Parks just open State Trust Land. That is two completely different takes on the subject from the State Land Department. I am going to see if I can get some kind of confirmation on which take is correct. There is so much confusion concerning Drone Operation Rules that I'm sure you can be told one thing today and it will be different tomorrow. Obviously that is a big problem if your flying along thinking everything is good and a Ranger shows up and tickets you. I will get to the bottom of this and post the outcome once I have the whole story.
I have a feeling it comes down to which ranger you run in to and how they feel on that day. Having your STL permit and FAA cert at the ready would probably go a long way towards a "have a nice day" result.

C783B87F-01C7-4343-BF7E-543DF2387FF3.png
All the green is Tonto National Forrest.

Hello everyone new member here. I’ve been looking for a place to find myself and I just found three basins on East Elliot one you can’t fly and the other is designated helicopters only in the last one is airplanes only did they forget about drones? What gives? I would love to fly in box canyon state trust land near Florence but I’m not sure we can

I guess I’ll just keep flying in the empty construction field near my house but that sure gets boring and uneventful. I’ll read through and see if anybody has found anything else cool. I’m at like Elliot Road and signal Butte.

Well I just talked to management over at the Arizona state land department about flying drones on state trust land and he was very quick to answer that there was no problem with drones on state trust land whatsoever. So that’s good enough for me. I got my $20 recreational permit and I’m heading on the US 60 mile marker 207 the turn off to box Canyon and Florence trails on state trust land. If anyone else would like to try it out.

Ps there Is also state trust land adjacent to my neighborhood over here on East Elliot so I guess I’ll be flying in there too when I don’t want to drive anywhere it’s a pretty big area it includes the motocross race way on Ironwood If anyone wants to partake.

Well I just talked to management over at the Arizona state land department about flying drones on state trust land and he was very quick to answer that there was no problem with drones on state trust land whatsoever. So that’s good enough for me. I got my $20 recreational permit and I’m heading on the US 60 mile marker 207 the turn off to box Canyon and Florence trails on state trust land. If anyone else would like to try it out.

Ps there Is also state trust land adjacent to my neighborhood over here on East Elliot so I guess I’ll be flying in there too when I don’t want to drive anywhere it’s a pretty big area it includes the motocross race way on Ironwood If anyone wants to partake.

That's the best info I have gotten since moving here from Texas.... Where is this Arizona state land trust office at? Good work finding a place to fly here.