Where to buy GCP plastic target ?

The (relative) horizontal accuracy without GCPs is about 2 times the GSD.
The (relative) vertical accuracy without GCPs is about 3 times the GSD.

The (relative) horizontal accuracy without GCPs is about 2 times the GSD.
The (relative) vertical accuracy without GCPs is about 3 times the GSD.
That is correct!!

$0.97 each; Qty 20 https://www.amazon.com/Home-Dynamix-10015-Vinyl-12-Inch/dp/B003CNKJO4/ref=sr_1_3

3125YYI4xPL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AzimuthAerials
I bought 5.5 yard of black vinyl and 5.5 yard of white vinyl (roll was 54 inch) we cut 14 squares of 27" x 27" of each color to be sewed like the image shown, the total size of the "mat" was like 53" x 53" = 1.35m x 1.35m (taking like an inch for sewing) and made a hole in the center to be able to see the ground survey marks or stake, with that we made 7 vinyl targets. attached some pictures, and a sample image taken by drone at 80m high

Attachments

• photo_2018-01-24_10-19-57.jpg
    photo_2018-01-24_10-19-57.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,550
  • photo_2018-01-24_10-20-58.jpg
    photo_2018-01-24_10-20-58.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 939
  • photo_2018-01-24_10-21-15.jpg
    photo_2018-01-24_10-21-15.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,188
Last edited:
Reactions: doktorinjh
I use 4xA3 size of paper, 2 plain white and 2 painted black taped together for 1 gcp. It barely seen from 260 ft flight. cost me under 10 buck for 20 gcp. low budget for final project college stud like me lol.

I bought the above mentioned 12" black and white tiles from amazon. Then I went to my local HVAC company and had them make sheet metal backs for the tiles. The charged me about $1 per tile to cut 16g metal to size. The only hangup is the 12" size. When I fly at 400" the tiles can be hard to spot sometimes. I will leave a bigger piece of white vinyl down just to help find the tile.

usually I use traffic signs made of plastic. there are cheap and good visible. no parking ist good.

Im looking for pre-made targets for GCP made in rigid heavy coloured plastic.

Where to buy ?
Hi Pete. I know this is an old thread, but I had this problem as well. I created an affordable GCP in 2 different versions, one with a center eyelet and one with a passthrough. Links to each are below.

UAV Ground Control Points (GCPs)/Aerial Targets for Aerial Mapping & Surveying (6 Pack) with Center Passthrough https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G8W26CP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SL7QBbNQQH4ZT

UAV Ground Control Points (GCPs)/Aerial Targets for Aerial Mapping & Surveying (6 Pack) with Center Eyelets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GGMM8LW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7M7QBbV0VK750

Hi Pete,
I found your thread from already a while ago.
In our company we use the Ground Control Points from GCP-Shop.com, actually quite happy about them.
Hope it helps,
Pierre

White paint dots on darker surfaces are a pretty cheap option. Or even black paint dots on lighter surfaces. Anything photo observable. It doesn't have to be complicated or expensive.

If anyone is interested, I'd be willing to sell these GCP's and ship them to you!

Please let me know!
I really like the looks of your targets. I'm located in NY State. What is the cost per target and what is the shipping rate. Thanks
Dan

I purchased 18 inch floor tiles from the local hardware store. Bought white, and painted opposite corners black, just like the "smart tiles" that you posted pics of. Drilled a small hole in the center to see the control point beneath it. They work well and are very visible in aerial photos. Price was about $2.50 per tile.
I use white spray paint Xs on asphalt or a dot in the center of storm/sewer structure lids wherever possible so that I don't have to go back to retrieve any targets. When I need targets in the grass or somewhere where I can't paint I buy floor tiles (closest to white I can find at the hardware store) I make an X with masking tape and spray paint the rest with flat black then peel off the tape for a white X. I then set the targets with a nail in the center. I reuse these several times.

I also use high contrast features occasionally (end of paint stripes etc). Always trying new and more efficient ways...

I agree... now! :)
I used tiles when I first started mapping. But then I found that a simple white paint dot with a circle around it worked in most situations, was much cheaper, and plenty accurate. No need to pick up GCPs and usually easily found on images. Also carry black paint for marks on very white surfaces like sidewalks. I will also use water meters, manholes, or any other photo identifable feature. Placing GCPs in grass or weeds need special attention, by either trimming it down, or placing tiles or whatever. Lots of options before purchasing GCPs. No offense to anyone producing reusable GCPs. Reusable GCPs have their place too, in certain situations.

Im looking for pre-made targets for GCP made in rigid heavy coloured plastic.

Where to buy ?

Might consider making your own out of plywood (heavier and works better in wind and also is more durable and last longer) and some high-contrast paint. I have friends who have printed GCPs and staked them out for a one-time use as well. What you are looking for might be found at a survey supply shop or on Amazon though for a reasonable price.

This is a more economical version if cost is a concern; from Amazon;

UAV Ground Control Points (GCPs)/Aerial Targets for Aerial Mapping & Surveying (10 Pack) with Center Eyelet Numbered 0-9 (Black & White): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers