What's the policy with helicopters?

Reaction score
I've been up surveying the flood near the river by my house and today a news chopper suddenly appeared. I was about 250 ft and he was well below that. I went up to 350 and came back. What should you do?

I've been up surveying the flood near the river by my house and today a news chopper suddenly appeared. I was about 250 ft and he was well below that. I went up to 350 and came back. What should you do?

Read FAR 91.119. As a drone pilot you need to stay clear of manned aircraft. You should have also checked if there were any TFRs for your drone operation.

14 CFR 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Last edited:
Reactions: clouddancer750
Check for TFRs before you fly. Not sure whats in your area but if there is a control tower airport in the area, and there is flooding like this, contact them. Odds are they will know if any low flights have been scheduled. Even if you aren't within the 5mi ring.

Remember, you are low man on the totem pole. Manned aircraft ALWAYS have right of way.

I probably would have done the same you did. Get the **** out of the way as fast as possible and get on the ground ASAP.

The news helicopter may have had permission. I suspect they are being used to help spot people who need to be rescued. But if you are anywhere withing the red on the below Houston area map you aren't allowed in the air with your drone.

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

Thats the TFR I meant he should look for. Given the emergency traffic due to the flooding, I expected that a low level TFR would likely be in place. Its common in disaster recovery areas for a TFR to be issued. The news heli likely had a flight plan approved within the TFR. Otherwise, that pilot should be grounded.

I'm pretty sure the news station pilots would have been asked to help in this overwhelming emergency. Local emergency responders need all the help they can get from helicopter pilots during a disaster, and news crews are happy to get the footage -- just as the CNN reporters in boats have been rescuing people. News helicopter pilots often have a military helicopter background.

I see you are from there . I hope you didn't get flooded out .
Here's a thread in news if you havn't seen it .
DroneUp and Houston

No doubt.

Which is why my first statement was "Check for TFRs before you fly."

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there are likely S/R recon going on and will be going on for days.

Shame that the "drone" is seen more as a threat than a tool because of PC and poor politics. Hams are frequently leveraged for emergency coms in disasters and quite often are the first links outside a disaster area. Local drone and RC clubs could easily be mobilized in the same way. Dozens of drones could safely flood the area and recon acreage far cheaper than manned aircraft could and could get to the area far sooner, getting in closer and without risk to human life. And if someone were found, precise GPS coords could be relayed to rescue craft very quickly. If a surface rescue craft were dispatched the drone could remain and direct it without putting any additional manned aircraft at risk. Eye in the sky so to speak.

But the drone has such a negative connotation, nobody thinks to use it as a recon tool. Ironically exactly what the first drones were invented for.

The news chopper is in contact with the local tower and can fly at any ATC approved altitude as long as he doesn't endanger life or property. The news choppers also coordinate their flight path with law enforcement, Coast Guard, and other emergency aircraft. You may mean well, but your mere presence can be a serious hazard to the emergency aircraft. So if you don't have specific permission to be there, Stay out! The consequences and repurcussions can be quite serious. This is becoming a growing problem and the FAA isn't taking violations lightly. Protect the Hobby/Proffession and always fly like a professional placing Safety First! And always check for TFR's. Cheers!

Last edited:
No doubt.

Which is why my first statement was "Check for TFRs before you fly."

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there are likely S/R recon going on and will be going on for days.

Shame that the "drone" is seen more as a threat than a tool because of PC and poor politics. Hams are frequently leveraged for emergency coms in disasters and quite often are the first links outside a disaster area. Local drone and RC clubs could easily be mobilized in the same way. Dozens of drones could safely flood the area and recon acreage far cheaper than manned aircraft could and could get to the area far sooner, getting in closer and without risk to human life. And if someone were found, precise GPS coords could be relayed to rescue craft very quickly. If a surface rescue craft were dispatched the drone could remain and direct it without putting any additional manned aircraft at risk. Eye in the sky so to speak.

But the drone has such a negative connotation, nobody thinks to use it as a recon tool. Ironically exactly what the first drones were invented for.
The subject of this post is exactly why we are building "negative connatations." The pilot is violating a TFR! Better learn and abide by FAR Part 107.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel