What you need to be ready to fly?

Reaction score
im brand new here, never flown anything radio controled. Im just now understanding that when you buy a drone new or used, you dont always get all it takes to fly.
is there a place here that explains what you need other than drone, controler and batteries?
thanks

im brand new here, never flown anything radio controled. Im just now understanding that when you buy a drone new or used, you dont always get all it takes to fly.
is there a place here that explains what you need other than drone, controler and batteries?
thanks
Should get everything you need to get in the air with initial purchase. You may wish to purchase additional items (e.g. extra batteries, props, etc.) after you've flown a few times.

Reactions: Tommy J 111
Prop guards are a sensible investment too. And, depending on which drone you choose, (Phantom 3 for example) you will also need a suitable phone or tablet- not just any old one.

iPhone 6 is fine. P3A is a good choice ....check out the classifieds section to see if any are up for sale.

is there a place here that explains what you need other than drone, controller and batteries?
thanks
You might need, as other said, more batteries, as drone flight time is not always that good. Also, you can buy extra stuff for it, but maybe later, for now, you will find the instructions and everything else you need when you buy the drone.
You will also need to register it, if it weighs more than 250g, don't forget.
You can buy any drone, but for a beginner, I would recommend a drone that is easy to deploy and to assemble, with an excellent battery life, for you to have enough time to learn using it.

Also, as a second-hand drone, I would recommend a drone with a battery of minimum 20 minutes, even though it is not that cheap. You can think about it as an investment.

Let me know if you need any other pieces of advice and good luck with your new drone!

Last edited:
thanks yall, i decided to get a $120.00 one first, traxxas la trax aliss or sonething like that, no camera or gps to break when i crash it.
im thinking about a mavic if i like drones as i think i will.
this may be tmi but i thought i would be the only one in the county with a drone but ive found a man here with a thermal camera drone and another man is a moderator on this forum!

thanks yall, i decided to get a $120.00 one first, traxxas la trax aliss or sonething like that, no camera or gps to break when i crash it.
im thinking about a mavic if i like drones as i think i will.
this may be tmi but i thought i would be the only one in the county with a drone but ive found a man here with a thermal camera drone and another man is a moderator on this forum!

The first thing to learn is to hover about 4-5 feet over a grassy area. Practice, practice, practice. Oh, and READ the instructions about 5 times. Look on the internet for a free drone simulator program to simply orientate yourself to the control movements and flight characteristics of flying a drone. Good luck.

The first thing to learn is to hover about 4-5 feet over a grassy area. Practice, practice, practice. Oh, and READ the instructions about 5 times. Look on the internet for a free drone simulator program to simply orientate yourself to the control movements and flight characteristics of flying a drone. Good luck.
thanks Craig, will do

You will also need to register it, if it weighs more than 250g, don't forget.

Wasn't this FAA law overturned recently? As long as you are not flying commercially (aka a non-commercial hobbyist drone operator) you do not have to register anymore with the FAA. I'm sure this could change in the future with a new law but for now I believe registration is no longer required.

Americans no longer have to register non-commercial drones with the FAA

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/inter...20585258125004FBC13/$file/15-1495-1675918.pdf

@Rensi yes, it has been, but from what I have read, there is a chance that FAA will appeal the decision.
So for a beginner, I think that it's better to be safe than sorry, right? I am ok with registering my drone and I would advise anybody to do so, just to be sure.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4