What should I have done with this powered paraglider?

Sorry Russ 43, this statement you made is contrary to making good videos and pictures. Also, for safe flying practices.. “When the weather is good and the winds are light, the best practice is don't fly at all or keep below tree top level.”

I do a lot of photography and video work (www.schundlerphoto.com). But ... when you live where I do, my advice was for summer days where ultralights and sea planes want to fly on weekends over the lakes. The ultralights fly at treetop levels (always) and the sea planes when preparing to land on the lake barely clear the tree tops. It's at times like this when your photography needs to take a second place to safety. As you can see from my website above, I love both on ground and aerial photography and I agree with your statement on when it's a great time to get drone images or footage ... BUT safety first. During these times of ultralight or seaplane activity, I still fly for photo work, but I keep below the treetops.

Just dreaming away, looked to my right and did not see it. Went back to the event on the beach and this powered paraglider flew right in front of me.
Is it a manned aircraft? I was so tempted to follow it at a distance. I was tempeted to get close but that would have scared the pilot and would not have been safe. What would you have done?
Should I have just got right out of the way and took a big loop home, it was flying towards my take off point and it was 2 kilometers away?

Manned aircraft always have the right of way, as I'm sure you're aware. You seem a safe distance to me. He was probably unaware of your presence. Nice shooting.

D

As a long time UK paraglider pilot (non-powered) but new to drones:
- If a drone such as a dji phantom flew into a paraglider's lines it would be a serious potentially life threatening incident.
- I'd be most concerned if a stranger flew their drone nearer to me than ~200 metres. If I was aware of it, I would either land or fly away.
- I'd be happy to fly with a drone if I knew and trusted the operator and the flight was pre-planned and agreed.
- I would need the operator to understand how a paraglider flies and where/how the pg would need to manoeuvre to stay aloft.
- regarding powered paragliders, very briefly, in the UK it is illegal to fly them below 500 feet and you must have the landowner's permission to take off or landing. The flight in the video would be illegal.
Glad to answer any questions.

As a long time UK paraglider pilot (non-powered) but new to drones:
- If a drone such as a dji phantom flew into a paraglider's lines it would be a serious potentially life threatening incident.
- I'd be most concerned if a stranger flew their drone nearer to me than ~200 metres. If I was aware of it, I would either land or fly away.
- I'd be happy to fly with a drone if I knew and trusted the operator and the flight was pre-planned and agreed.
- I would need the operator to understand how a paraglider flies and where/how the pg would need to manoeuvre to stay aloft.
- regarding powered paragliders, very briefly, in the UK it is illegal to fly them below 500 feet and you must have the landowner's permission to take off or landing. The flight in the video would be illegal.
Glad to answer any questions.
For the drone and maybe for the paraglider flying over peoples low?

Hi MV,
I assume you're asking about the legality of drone and paraglider flights?
According to U.K. laws I'd say the drone pilot was just about legal. I'm not certain about maintaining line of sight.
But the paraglider flight would have been illegal on height, proximity to people and choice of landing site.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj