What Mirrorless or DSLR Cameras are you using to shoot video (any particular suggestions you might have)?

Reaction score
Website
www.aiscforlando.com
I was wondering what the particular preferences here are in cameras; matching up the 4 Pro's vids with vids taken from regular handheld cameras. Fairly soon I will be trying to include regular camera media into my vids...BUT, I need suggestions on what sort of camera to get that best matches the P4P. THANKS!.

Last edited:
Depends on your experience, and comfort level. Are you looking for 4k or 1080? We use Canon for about everything. It's a good platform and is easily used on the fly, but if you want 4k you'll have to PAY. Sony, and Panasonic are always a good go to for an inexpensive price. I've heard of some of the Panasonic cameras having over heating issues in 4K, but I haven't personally used them so please take that with a grain of salt. Hope this helps and i'm sure other guys have used the different platforms and will speak up, but we are Canon all day.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
Depends on your experience, and comfort level. Are you looking for 4k or 1080? We use Canon for about everything. It's a good platform and is easily used on the fly, but if you want 4k you'll have to PAY. Sony, and Panasonic are always a good go to for an inexpensive price. I've heard of some of the Panasonic cameras having over heating issues in 4K, but I haven't personally used them so please take that with a grain of salt. Hope this helps and i'm sure other guys have used the different platforms and will speak up, but we are Canon all day.

FDS - what canon in particular are you using? I had been looking at the Sony a6000 series and watching a million reviews and it's stated that, even though only a 1080 camera, the images are beautiful and the autofocus is amazing, blah blah blah, lol. More importantly, it is good for beginners, works with most of the popular stabilizers out there and is compatible with all of the Sony e-mountable lenses. I also looked at the Panasonic Lumix G7, which is a 4k, however, my videographer (once I get my 107 and he is aboard) said the Sony is a better camera for our needs...I just don't know if it'll marry well in post with the Pro. I'm thinking that initially, we might offer video in 1080. I'm still not sure. As you've seen from my other "decision" posts, we are just starting to get up and running, shortly.

Reactions: enigmalarue
Hey......check out the NIKON P-900.....Mirrorless ! image stabilization ! 16 Mp !

Buy a NIKON and your done.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPI...ds=nikon+p900&qid=1552067016&s=gateway&sr=8-4

MortorCycle-Man -> is this what you are currently using? If so, do you have any vids with both the P4P and Nikon in it for me to check out? I was hoping for 20mp+ for stills (to be offered in our packages). I'll also look into whether this will work in the stabilizers we are looking into. Thank you.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
DJ........Sure Shot......check it out because i could not have bought a better mirror less digital camera that is so nice and very easy to use too..and the lens is super great...I love my P-900 NIKON.

While very few match perfectly straight out of camera, almost any of the current hybrid DSLR and mirrorless cameras can be effectively matched in post... Especially, since they will typically have a more capable sensor than that of the P4P. It would probably be best to focus (no pun intended) on the features that best match your needs. I’ve been using the Panasonic GH5 as my main camera since 2017. And I have been very pleased with it. The wide range of video-centric features, customizable settings, 20MP stills, and the amazing in-body image stabilization made it the obvious choice for me. These are great times in camera technology, and you’ll probably be happy with almost any of the current offerings by Panasonic, Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. Let us know what you end up going with.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
While very few match perfectly straight out of camera, almost any of the current hybrid DSLR and mirrorless cameras can be effectively matched in post... Especially, since they will typically have a more capable sensor than that of the P4P. It would probably be best to focus (no pun intended) on the features that best match your needs. I’ve been using the Panasonic GH5 as my main camera since 2017. And I have been very pleased with it. The wide range of video-centric features, customizable settings, 20MP stills, and the amazing in-body image stabilization made it the obvious choice for me. These are great times in camera technology, and you’ll probably be happy with almost any of the current offerings by Panasonic, Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. Let us know what you end up going with.

Thank you for that info! My previous drone (well, still is current) was only a P4, which I used to learn to fly. Now that we are taking things seriously, from a future business perspective, I'm finally delving into cameras as well, with almost zero knowledge (thankfully my youngest son and brother in law are professional videographers, and are helping me a bit).

I'll definitely update with what I get in the upcoming days.

Reactions: C Squared
I use Canon EOS 5D Mark 1V which is 30Mp, auto focus . Amazing quality still's and video.

Thanks all for your feedback and letting us know what you are using. After tons and tons of research, I decided to go with a SONY a6000 and a Zhiyun Weebill Lab. I know the Sony isn't 4k, however, we won't be offering 4k just yet. As soon as I can drop a few grand to upgrade my current Macbook, then we'll edit in full 4k.

Again, thank you all for assisting in this thread!

The Panasonic GH5 is an excellent mirrorless 4K camera for taking excellent video.

enigmalarue, after I get some more knowledge and practical usage of cameras, we will be upgrading, and I definitely have the GH5 in my sights, as well as perhaps sticking with Sony, and upgrading to an a7ii or iii. But, that'll be in a while :)

I think the Panasonic LUMIX GH5S is a good match with GoPros. I'm not filming very often so a GoPro 5 is enough for my needs. A friend of mine has a Panasonic as the one mentioned earlier and we have done some videos together, just for fun. They come up really cool and we didn't notice the difference between the two cameras. More often I take pictures. For that, I bought a Polaroid camera. It's really comfortable, especially when going on trips, as it fits everywhere. Besides that, they have a style that will never die, that '70-'90 style. There is this review about the best instant camera where I found mine. I suggest reading it if you like taking pictures. But who doesn't?
But how about the quality of the pictures of the Polaroid? Maybe you take a close picture, the quality is ok, but when you take a remoteness photo?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20