What if

Reaction score
what if you fly your drone into a developing thunderstorm with the goal of making a hailstone with flashing LED inside? You'd need a lens de icer and a fresh battery. Would the FAA punish you for flying to 50,000 feet--over and over? I read about this happening to a paraglider---ascended at 20 m/s and fell at 33 m/s---she was unconscious and covered in ice when she awoke at 10,000 feet. She went to 32,000 feet. Ewa sucked into storm and lives to tell - National - smh.com.au

Years ago,the same thing happened to an Air Force pilot who had to bail out "The Man Who Rode The Lightning". He too, miraculously survived. Any possible repercussions would not come from being carried that high, but from being so reckless as to fly into a thunderstorm in the first place. That's definitely a 'no man's land'!

One of the part 107 rules is to avoid clouds. I don't recall the exact distances and it's too early to spend time looking it up. Basically though, we're required to follow the same guidelines as a pilot flying VFR.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

One of the part 107 rules is to avoid clouds. I don't recall the exact distances and it's too early to spend time looking it up. Basically though, we're required to follow the same guidelines as a pilot flying VFR.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app
500' below and 2000' horizontally. That might be for PPL now that I think about it LOL.

Standard VFR, I do remember that for Part 107 it might be 1000 ft below. I'll hunt it up.

Ok, per the Part 107 Advisory Circular para 5.10, visibility 3sm, 2000ft horizontal and 500 ft below clouds.

Reactions: BigAl07
Ok, per the Part 107 Advisory Circular para 5.10, visibility 3sm, 2000ft horizontal and 500 ft below clouds.

Well this old noodle gets it right once in while even if it's just luck LOL!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT