What if battery left 10% and your drone still OTW return to home?

Reaction score

What if your battery left 10% and your drone still on the way return to home?
what is going happen ? simple test here.... :)

imaging if your drone is on the way return to home above the lake....but low battery left 10%....:screamcat:

We have seen that happen on videos here before. We watched a mavic land in the ocean trying to make it home just the other day. He has a go fund me site to get money to replace his mavic.

Is that only for Mavics and P3's?

My P4 hits 9% regularly and starts the auto land but I just throttle up and fly it to where it needs to be before landing.

AD (actually it's a hand catch)

To each their own is how I fly. But I continue to marvel at people on here who test the boundaries of their batteries and aircraft on purpose to see how extreme they can go. I guess if you got $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, crashing a several hundred or several thousand dollar drone is not a big deal. Waiting until it's at 10% to bring it home is asking for trouble in my opinion unless you are already fairly close to home. But at least we get to see some good videos of crashes.

Reactions: Floyd
To each their own is how I fly. But I continue to marvel at people on here who test the boundaries of their batteries and aircraft on purpose to see how extreme they can go. I guess if you got $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, crashing a several hundred or several thousand dollar drone is not a big deal. Waiting until it's at 10% to bring it home is asking for trouble in my opinion unless you are already fairly close to home. But at least we get to see some good videos of crashes.

If you pick the right flying location then most of the risk is removed. For example, last October I wanted to test the range limit on a stock battery (no mods) on my P3P so I picked a public park in Ohio that is very flat and has no surrounding trees or other signal obstacles. On one test, I flew out 4.3 miles and on the way back I could tell I wasnt going to make it because the battery was down to 5% and I still had a mile left to go. Luckily, I still had an FPV signal so I was able to manually guide the drone to a safe landing spot outside the edge of the park in an empty housing development lot. I lowered it to 10 ft. above ground and watched as the battery meter went from 2% to 1% and then I lost signal but I had a good visual of where it landed. I drove out to the spot and the P3 was in perfect condition.

But yeah, guys who fly range contests over the ocean are totally nuts --- must have too much money burning holes in pockets.

I thought I read somewhere that it could tell when battery was to low to make it back to home point and would intimate rth at that point and not only at 10%.
A test I want to do is see the distance it can travel when down to low battery-30%. I then can mix it or how far out I am before I need to real her in.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl