What gains are you using with upgraded motors?

K

Kubelwagen

After replacing the main board, flight controller (new one said Vision+ on the bag), ESC's (V2.1) and upgrading the motors to 2312 with 9450 props, the default gains were:

Pitch: 125%
Roll: 125%
Yaw: 120%
Vertical: 140%
Pitch Attitude: 260%
Roll Attitude: 260%

The pitch and roll was really twitchy as you might expect with the beefier motors and higher pitch props. Lowering the pitch and roll attitude to 170% seems to have smoothed it out fairly well.

Just for kicks I decided to see if lowering the yaw basic gain would possibly do anything to slow the yaw control, even though I wasn't expecting it to because that's not what the basic gain setting is for. Regardless, I dropped it to 50% and yikes. Yaw was really sloppy and the overrun was pronounced. Seemed like it had a mind of it's own sometimes.

At 120% the yaw would still seem to continue moving slightly after centering the control. Increasing it to 140% seems to have made it more accurate. No "overrun."

Really the only way I see to get serious about making the Phantom 2 as smooth as possible for really good videography work would be to use a different controller where you could manually set all the control parameters. For instance, I'd love to have switches that would do a slow pan left and right. Or even set a parameter that would do a slow outside circle and pan to the center. Still think I'll save that idea for a bigger, more open platform. Sure their are smart "drones" that can do that but anyone with the bux can by one of those. I'm a hobbyist. And for what it is, I think the P2 is a great little machine.

What gains do you use that give you the best results with the upgrade motors?

For smith flights and nice hovering try the stock gains and get the best IMU calibration you can with the craft perfectly level front to back and side to side.
If the sensors and IMU are all in sink she will fly right and fly tight with near perfect hovering. The majority of gains are for the automatic fligh portions of the controler any how.

I have a p2v+ with upgrade v-3 T motors . It was real shaky with those defaults. After consulting others here we ended up with super smooth craft changing only pitch/roll to 165%

I have a p2v+ with upgrade v-3 T motors . It was real shaky with those defaults. After consulting others here we ended up with super smooth craft changing only pitch/roll to 165%

That sounds about right. It's really tough to get professionally smooth camera movements with these because they just don't have enough adjustments. For what they are they work great. But I'm already relinquished to the fact that to get more professional results for me personally is going to require more sophisticated, or at least more adjustable hardware. It isn't impossible to do with the Phantom but can be overly difficult at times. That's why real professionals have to step up to real equipment that's real expensive.

While filming one day it occurred to me that it would be nice to have switches that would activate a slow left or right pan. That way you could configure the rate to be whatever you want and once activated, your focus could be solely on speed and direction. To do this, of course, would require a more capable controller.

I have a Futaba 8FG being setup for a long-range fixed wing but something like that, or the 10 channel version, would allow for plenty of control options. When I get to that point I'll probably build it into a Tarot 680 Pro platform though because that makes more sense than trying to do it to a Phantom. Kind of like the people you see stacking several hundred pounds of lumber on their Civic at the hardware store. Sometimes when you need a truck, you should just get a truck.

I'm interest in this as I'm thinking of upgrading mine. I've always trusted the default settings but I might have to look into changing them

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4