What does the P3 offer than predecessors dont?

Reaction score
What type of upgrades have they made? differences.

1. Better controller
2. High def video downlink. Not wifi based.
3. Ultrasonic altimeter and visual based position hold for indoor flying and better stability at low altitudes.
4. Lower price

Other than that it's pretty much the same.
Oh, except for the higher capacity battery for slightly better flight time.

Last edited:
The camera for the advance model appears to be pretty much the same.
The GPS may be better in theory but under normal use I doubt it will make any noticeable improvement.
Neither item would be relevant (to me) in a decision to upgrade.

Honestly the high def video downlink is really the killer feature here.
All other features are minor (IMHO) unless you really want to fly indoors.

Heck ... the camera on both P3 models is the same as the Inspire camera except the advance has been crippled (in a minor way) so it doesn't do 4K video but is otherwise the same.
Nothing like the P2V+ camera at all and a huge improvement.
The GPS makes for super fast satellite acquisition and better accuracy of position holding.

I am so pissed I bought a plus not a month and a half ago lol.

Wonder if the new controller can bind to phantom 2 plus

Reactions: dirtdummy
No. The new controller uses Lightbridge which is a completely different system from the normal RC transmitter/receiver system.
You could probably interchange with an Inspire controller though.

That's already been discussed. At the unveiling, one of the pilots was using an Inspire controller. When asked about it, he said that the P3 he was flying had custom firmware to allow it, so it won't be something we can do with stock gear...

People are missing the fact that there is no longer 5.8GHZ WIFI in the equation. To me... that's a huge jump...

-slinger

That's already been discussed. At the unveiling, one of the pilots was using an Inspire controller. When asked about it, he said that the P3 he was flying had custom firmware to allow it, so it won't be something we can do with stock gear...

People are missing the fact that there is no longer 5.8GHZ WIFI in the equation. To me... that's a huge jump...

-slinger
Yup. Huge selling point. 1 less thing to burn out, 1 less thing to charge, and imo was kind of a hack anyway... wifi wasn't designed to be used at great distance.

I am so pissed I bought a plus not a month and a half ago lol.

Wonder if the new controller can bind to phantom 2 plus

No.

P3 is 2.4GHz control freq.

Only reason I dont jump on it is because I want to wait until some user reviews come out and they get some of the bugs worked out. There will no doubt be some. I bet we dont know anything as far as reliability until about 5-6 months from now

I just cannot believe it is cheaper.

No. The new controller uses Lightbridge which is a completely different system from the normal RC transmitter/receiver system.
You could probably interchange with an Inspire controller though.
I'm so excited about the integration of Lightbridge. I wonder how they did this and kept the price the same as the Vision 2+?

I'm so excited about the integration of Lightbridge. I wonder how they did this and kept the price the same as the Vision 2+?

By selling a year of batteries and camera replacements for all the crashed P2V's ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic