What are the chances for a Phantom 5 in time for Christmas

Reaction score
My buddy wants to to buy the best drone from DJI. I told him to get a Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom. He is willing to wait and see IF there is a Phantom 5 in the pipeline so that he doesn’t end up with the second best by a month.

What’s the latest on the P5?

Thanks in advance

By placing the Mavic 2 Pro at the same price as the Phantom 4 Pro v2.0, my opinion is that there will not be any new Phantoms from DJI this year. You don’t want to have 2 of your own products competing against each other.

The mavic 2 will be the best mavic for quite a while... The P5 will be better than the current 4 or any mavic.... if it’s not people will be grizzling and moaning badly (DJI must know that) and will be a lot more expensive. I suspect the price of the 5 will be the biggest surprise, DJI can pull it off now the Mavic 2 is good enough to hold that price point where the newest phantom may have sat.

There probably isn’t enough leaking and chatter to make the P5 a pre end of year holidays reality. It probably wouldn’t make sense to release it while the M2 sales are strong anyway.

Well my friend it's here! Just been sent one to review it.
Phantom 5.JPG

But seriously I want this camera on the Phantom 5. I know its a big ask but I think it is doable and close to what it will be like, very much modified of course.
I took this video

with this camera, Sony Cyber-shot RX100 VI. They say it is the same sensor? I am learning about cameras but 8X zoom would be very nice.
This was taken before sunrise by the way so not a lot of light!

The phantom 5 will need to come in different colors or design. If they come up with the same design and just a better camera... Then they can keep it. Phantoms are not excited anymore... Same lame design, nothing innovative.

I agree [B]macoman[/B] I want a better camera and much more portable. I cannot see why the body shape remains the same but the legs fold up inside the body. Almost disk shaped. I recall seeing some clip with people throwing/spinning such a thing and then it flew. It was based on a Phantom. If it was the body size with the legs folding up at take off and landing that would be so much more portable.
Oh and the introduction of some basic AI would be nice so I can have a conversation with the drone via the r/c like take photo while taking a video, change iso or shutter speed or how long left do I have in current conditions.

So
1 Better camera especially a good zoom
2 Better portability, as above
Introductory AI
Those I would pay a lot of lolly for.

Come on DJI you can do it.

Reactions: macoman
I agree [B]macoman[/B] I want a better camera and much more portable. I cannot see why the body shape remains the same but the legs fold up inside the body. Almost disk shaped. I recall seeing some clip with people throwing/spinning such a thing and then it flew. It was based on a Phantom. If it was the body size with the legs folding up at take off and landing that would be so much more portable.
Oh and the introduction of some basic AI would be nice so I can have a conversation with the drone via the r/c like take photo while taking a video, change iso or shutter speed or how long left do I have in current conditions.
So
1 Better camera
especially a good zoom
2 Better portability, as above
Introductory AI
Those I would pay a lot of lolly for.
Come on DJI you can do it.
Except for having a chat with your drone, you described the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom

I wish Ansia.
The Mavic 2 Pro camera is not even as good as the Phantom 4 Pro. I would not mind that, I am happy with the P4P camera although I am sure a P5P would be better. The Mavic 2 Zoom is the same size as the first Mavic Pro, and it is only 2 optical zoom. That is a huge difference. The Sony RX100 6 has a 8.3 optical zoom, that is also a huge difference. So I am
afraid your statement is way off. As I said I wish it was otherwise.

Reactions: Ripper7620
Must've hit a nerve or something. What I ment is that what you are asking are exaxly the upgrades the Mavic got this year. I never said that the Mavic was better than the Phantom in any way. As for chatting your drone up, Mantis Q does that.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. Although I don't quite get what you mean.
Not heard of the Mantis Q before and your right it does respond to some basic commands just shows that you can start to have intelligent conversations with a drone. Along the lines of Bixby, Google Assistant or Siri. I don't get along with Siri, must be my northern English accent. But I do get along with Google Assistant and beginning to with Bixby in the last few days. DJI would probably have to partner up with one of the big AI companies to go down this direction. But go down that direction they definitely will and not in the distant future.
It would be awesome to have a drone that you can carry easily, launch quickly, take top notch pics and vids, zoom in and talk with it.
Again sorry if I misunderstood you Ansia.

Reactions: Ansia
Sorry if I misunderstood you. Although I don't quite get what you mean.
Not heard of the Mantis Q before and your right it does respond to some basic commands just shows that you can start to have intelligent conversations with a drone. Along the lines of Bixby, Google Assistant or Siri. I don't get along with Siri, must be my northern English accent. But I do get along with Google Assistant and beginning to with Bixby in the last few days. DJI would probably have to partner up with one of the big AI companies to go down this direction. But go down that direction they definitely will and not in the distant future.
It would be awesome to have a drone that you can carry easily, launch quickly, take top notch pics and vids, zoom in and talk with it.
Again sorry if I misunderstood you Ansia.
No worries. We are all friends in the Drone World.

Basically what I ment is that many Mavic users asked what you are asking in the past and DJI came up with the Mavic 2 variants. I'm quite interested in the Mavic 2 Enterprise that is about to come out. Specially the spotlight and beacon features. Hopefully they add this to the next gen phantom, instead of a mid cycle upgrade like the 2.0. As for the Yuunec Mantis Q, although it has some interesting features, it still falls short to the Mavic Pro or Autel Evo. Sad, I see a lot of potential there.

I was just checking the DJI page, and the P4P v2.0 is "Out of Stock", which I found strange. This is a wild theory. Either they are preparing for a new model or they plan on discontinuing the Phantom, towards investing their time and energy into the Mavic.

I was just checking the DJI page, and the P4P v2.0 is "Out of Stock", which I found strange. This is a wild theory. Either they are preparing for a new model or they plan on discontinuing the Phantom, towards investing their time and energy into the Mavic.
It's make sense... I am guessing that future enterprise class drones will get smaller and powerful. The Mavic 2 enterprise is the beginning of that path.

I like the Phantom models. The size makes it easy to see out to almost 1500 feet for me. It has decent battery life. It's pretty easy to transport for work assignments. For me the downsides are the lack of "enterprise" type cameras. The Phantom is much more than a "consumer drone". It is used by industry to inspect crops, structures, do surveys and monitor properties. The Phantom is perfect for "enterprise" applications. But it needs to have the capabilities to do these jobs. What I mean is, well, my wish list for the P5 would have to include,
1, A camera with zoom features. This isn't asking too much. We have had small UAVs with digital and optical zoom from Walkera and others. Looking at the Aeryon SkyRanger R60 with it's 30x zoom camera, I wonder why DJI hasn't given us something like that in a quad like the Phantom. For this sort of camera on a DJI sUAS we have to bump up to the Inspire or Matrice line. I'm sure the Phantom could handle this even if it means beefing up the body and motors a little bit more.
2 Besides Zoom the other camera capability I want is Thermal. Again, looking at the SkyRanger as an example, SkyRanger R60 | Aeryon , is there any reason why the Phantom 5 shouldn't have swappable cameras?
3, Built in strobes. Those of us with, or applying for, waivers to fly at night often have to resort to adding third party strobes to our UAVs. We stick things like the little Firehouse ARC II strobes on with velcro tape and then have to recharge them each separately after each flight. The Phantom 5 should come with Cree Strobes built into the body and powered by the onboard battery. They should able to be turned on and off via the menu.
4, ADS-B In displayed on the App just like the Mavic Enterprise. Heck, that should be on the app for EVERY model from the Spark on up.

I don't think DJI should drop the Phantom line. They just need to stop marketing to people who want to be amateur film makers and start going after the industrial and private business users who want these features without having to get into something the size, weight and cost of the Matrice or Inspire models.

Oh yes [B]Cellblock776[/B] lights. I think the Cree Strobes ar ok but I also want a light that is far more powerful. Even more powerful than the one on the Mavic 2. This is not to go beyond LOS but to identify your craft in the sky when you are able to see it but just cant find it. I lose the Phantom as close as 300 meters in some light conditions in the day. So a light that has different modes would be very useful. A low powered mode, a high powered mode and a very high powered short blast. I have posted before the human eye is capable of seeing at great distances if you know where it is. When you can identify it with a light it is easy to track.
So I would have a 4 point wish list.
Oh and all DJI drones in the future will have lights from the Mavic 2 onwards, its a matter of what kind.

We should start a wish list and colate the wish list. DJI would listen to that list without a doubt. We get what we want, our dream drone and DJI get what they want, money.

Reactions: FL_Mike

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT