What Are My Chances (for Authorization)?

Reaction score
Flushing NY is home to many hidden treasures. One of them is the very lovely Han Ma Um Zen Center of New York...

1571983385957.png

It's an amazing place, built over the span of several years with materials brought in by container from Korea. And it's affiliated with a place I visited when I was in Seoul some years back. It looks remarkably similar, naturally.

Now that the surrounding trees are starting to look nice, I'd like to use my P4 to maneuver into a spot where I could get a clean photograph of the structure.

But it's somewhat close to LGA and in a 0 AGL grid. :-(

The irony is that I wouldn't have to fly any higher than that 7-story building you see in the background, on the same block.

Obviously I'd check traffic patterns first anyway.

I'm predicting not being able to start the props on that block...

What say ye?

Last edited:
That’s probably gonna take manual authorization through LAANC which could take up to 90 days... and yes it probably is a locked zone for your drone.

Have you tried for an authorization on KittyHawk and see what happens? I've used it in busy class B airspace and have been approved 95% of the time.

The only changes I've had to make on difficult areas is maybe a little less altitude or distance. Of course, a quick call to the tower controller is a good practice too. Cover all bases and staying in compliance has worked for me in the past.

Give it a try. It's a 50/50 shot. [emoji106]

Well, the light was a bit muted today but I figured lemme at least test the waters.

And I'm gobsmacked.

Given all the reports (and a couple of experiences of my own) of things like being unable to fly near condos that were airstrips thirty years ago, or unable to spin up inside an apartment four miles from an airport, all I got in Go 4 was a dialogue about being in an Enhanced Warning Zone (airport), and I was good to go!

Closest was departing traffic passing about 3000-3500' south of me and 1500' up. Not much different from flying at Flushing Meadow on certain days.

Made the flight, kept the bird under 100', got some preliminary shots, managed to avoid people and not distract traffic, and next time the light is better I'll take a final stab at it.

Only thing I didn't do is see if Go 4 was restricting my flight radius, which is a stunt it pulled on me in Korea. It would go out to a few hundred feet then act like it was striking a wall, LOL. Boing, boing, boing as I'd push the stick forward...

Thanks for the input, folks. I did download AirMap and KittyHawk just in case.

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic