Wet suit for phantom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi again Friends
I wanted to fly in the rain and see there is a wetsuit for the phantom. Not sure if this has been discussed but what are your thoughts on this and even flying in rain?
Thanks

Hi again Friends
I wanted to fly in the rain and see there is a wetsuit for the phantom. Not sure if this has been discussed but what are your thoughts on this and even flying in rain?
Thanks

So if apologize as I now see there was a previous discussion. I will not be getting this as it seems general consensus is it still does not waterproof the drone anymore than it is now.
Thanks anyway.

Reactions: P4Texas
Even with wetsuit stay out of clouds or fog. If ur lucky enough to bring it back home and land your lucky. if we are honest with each other every once tried it once and didn't you notice the Drone was soaking wet. It's not just the rain it's clouds and fog also

I don't think companies should be advertising in a help forum. Since it is here, I will comment. I ordered one of these for my P4P and was shocked at the poor craftsmanship. It looks like it was cut out with a laser tool in a school. The cuts are crooked and the instructions are abstract. The package didn't actually come with directions. The contents were just loose in a bag with no identification as to which piece goes where. Some directions are online which is fine...but at least direct the customer. I'm afraid to put it on after seeing the packaging and crooked cut-out. It may be a legitimate company just trying to make it better for us, however, the product and presentation make me feel like it is only half-butt. I wish any entrepreneur well, but these are thousand dollar toys.

I don't think companies should be advertising in a help forum. Since it is here, I will comment. I ordered one of these for my P4P and was shocked at the poor craftsmanship. It looks like it was cut out with a laser tool in a school. The cuts are crooked and the instructions are abstract. The package didn't actually come with directions. The contents were just loose in a bag with no identification as to which piece goes where. Some directions are online which is fine...but at least direct the customer. I'm afraid to put it on after seeing the packaging and crooked cut-out. It may be a legitimate company just trying to make it better for us, however, the product and presentation make me feel like it is only half-butt. I wish any entrepreneur well, but these are thousand dollar toys.
Hi
I have read too many negative reviews on this product. I will be passing in it for sure. Thanks for the input.
Cheers

Flying in the rain is fine. Rather pointless, but fine. The first raindrop messes up the video and it gets worse from there.

Heavy cloud cover - either fog or rain clouds - can cut signal strength considerably. Remember that the 2.4 GHz frequency used for communication is pretty close to the frequency of your basic microwave oven. That means that water molecules will absorb the RF frequency and degrade the signal. Won't heat things up much, though.

As for water damage - its' overrated. I fly in a perpetually wet area - SE Alaska - my insurance company euphemistically refers to it as 'a precipitating environment' (so they don't have to pay for various things). I've had Phantoms lost in the woods for six months returned to me that required a couple of new motors and new camera but is still flying. I have another P3P that is over three years old and has been wet more times than not. Still flies fine. Same with my 8 month old P4P.

There are pictures of Phantoms flying in full out rain storms.

Now, the camera and gimbal don't like to get soaked (witness my errant machine) but just wiping them down after use (and not leaving them in the woods all winter) seems to work fine. Motors seem to be impervious to anything but rust. I have an OpenROV (little submersible) that uses the same motors as UAVs. They are DIRECTLY PLACED IN SALTWATER for hours at a time. The only mods are some additional insulation on the power leads. Some clean water, some WD-40 and a little silicon spray and they too are perfectly happy staying wet.

Plenty of posts here about Phantoms dropped in fresh water and successfully recovered (sans battery). Salt water, not so much.

So, watch for clouds - your not supposed to fly in them for visual flight rules reasons. But if you have to zip back in the rain, just wipe the thing down carefully. The neoprene sleeve seems pointless. On the P3's I have taken to cover the upper vents with a small bit of tape just to keep out some of the water but that's about it.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Fresh water is not a problem ... in fact it was common practice to 'burn in' brushed motors in a pot of water ...

Salt Water is the killer of all .... it instantly sets up corrosive actions and even with quick recovery - the damage is already done.

I have been caught out a number of times with my P3Std and P3Pro in sudden rain .... wipe down ... pull battery ... leave out on desk or bench to have air circulate and it dry out. I'm not a believer in using heat other than near a radiator - as using a hairdryer can drive the water deeper in. No after ill effects at all.

I only lost my P3Std after it submerged in the river which has near fresh water characteristics ... that small amount was enough to blow parts of the flight control board and the battery cells. It was under water for at least 30 minutes while I mounted the rescue mission !

My little Eachine 58 (its a pure little fun camera quad for less than $40 ... ) landed in a pool of water yesterday ... completely submerged .... I retrieved it ..... used an Airbrush through vents to blow out the main water ... left it near a radiator ... hour later was flying again.

Please don't use WD-40 ...... it leaves a thin sticky residue .... use proper plastic safe Contact Cleaner if you really need to.

When I was a kid, I did experiments by getting electric motors wet while running. If the insides get wet enough while running, they will shut down, but after they dry they run fine.

Reactions: Matchlock
I don't know why it's called a wetsuit because it covers none of the vents and simply adds unnecessary weight. Whether it's safe or not to fly in the rain, this product does nothing to change any variables other than making the aircraft work harder.

Plus......Out their holding a RC unit with lightning bolts all thru the sky......Who in the whole world wants their LIFE to end by being struck by lightning......NOT ME !....i prefer to enjoy my flights on a nice sunny day or during a evening sunset !

Careful guys .... last time this subject came up ... myself and a couple of others got banned.

davidgnesin
I agree with all of the cautionary suggestions here .
If you are like me and desire to push the envelope anyway ,.
Amazon.com: Corrosion Technologies 90101 CorrosionX 6 oz. aerosol: Gateway
Personal experience has taught me well with this product .
Know that if you choose to use this you will be a pioneer .

Have not treated my personal unit at this time .
I can honestly attest to treating and submersing monster truck servos ( under power ) and selling while submersed in water .

davidgnesin

I can honestly attest to treating and submersing monster truck servos ( under power ) and selling while submersed in water .

Corrosion x is used in 120 mph rc boat competitions .
Gives the operator full control in wet conditions .

Reactions: BigAl07
Corrosion x is used in 120 mph rc boat competitions .
Gives the operator full control in wet conditions .
This conversation has gone so beyond what I originally asked that I’d rather opt out of it for now. Thank you.
davidgnesin

I apologize . I took this post to mean that you desire to fly in the rain or moisture .
Offering personal experience with expensive electronics and moisture protection .
Desire to help , please clue me in .

Reactions: Tenisyn and BigAl07
I can say that it is never a good idea to wrap something that produces a lot of heat (LiPo Batteries ) , in a blanket that holds heat in .
Offering an alternative .

Reactions: 3rdof5 and Tenisyn

These are some Pretty Strong Accusations that you are making against our company and could in fact effect our sales, thus becoming a legal issue.

Before we get there , can you post the Pictures of the Wet Suit ?

Before we get there can you explain to me why you would not call us for a REFUND ?

Undertand we have been advertising on this forum for almost 2 years and No one has ever said anything like which you have stated.

Im not asking you to back it up , but im telling you to to back up with some pictures.

We have posted hundreds of pictures of the Phantom Wet Suits , and crooked parts are not part of the equation.

We have 12 Videos that are spot on covering every aspect of the Install, again abstract not part of the equation.

Last on my mind why would someone who does not think that we have the right to advertise in this forum purchase our product. ?

Some things do not add up ? So post the pictures !

Reactions: Capt KO and P4Texas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164