Well, this sucks!

Reaction score
Eagerly received my new P3A yesterday and performed all of the routine set up procedures (firmware updates, IMU calibration, compass calibration, etc.). Took it out this morning for it's maiden flight and noticed right away that it drifts while in P mode. It doesn't hold steady like my rock-solid P3 4K does. It will drift within 3-4ft of its location hold and then slowly work it's way back to where it's supposed to go, before doing the same thing to the opposite side. Needless to say I'm very unhappy/disappointed. This a brand new P3 for crying out loud!

Any thoughts as to why this is happening? I was so excited to get this bird. This sucks.

was the IMU calibration on a perfectly level surface

Something wrong with your p3A, it should be very stable in air.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just took it back outside, re-did a compass calibration and it seems to be a bit better. The only place I'm noticing it is around/underneath nearby trees. Even though it's showing 16 satellites on GPS, I assume it has a harder time maintaining position anytime it's underneath/close to something tall. Is this correct?

My P4 drifts at times. I usually launch it up about 10 feet before flight, check the screen and settings, and it might be sinking slowly a foot or two when I look back up at it. VPS maybe?

Yesterday I flew it with some Lume Cubes and while hovering, it went backwards suddenly by maybe 5-6 feet as if full on-reverse into an approaching wall, and then crept forward slowly to where it was. I still had stick control. Cell tower about a half mile off, but who knows.

Some of my AM flights seem to act as if the rising sun is confusing the front camera obstacle avoidance system at times as the odd flight seems always in the direction of the sun. Even had it stair-step downwards as viewed from the side into the sun (Forward, stop, drop. Forward, stop, drop. Etc.). I yaw it around 180 degrees and it seems better. Prop shadows on camera sensors? Dunno.

My P4 drifts at times. I usually launch it up about 10 feet before flight, check the screen and settings, and it might be sinking slowly a foot or two when I look back up at it. VPS maybe?

Yesterday I flew it with some Lume Cubes and while hovering, it went backwards suddenly by maybe 5-6 feet as if full on-reverse into an approaching wall, and then crept forward slowly to where it was. I still had stick control. Cell tower about a half mile off, but who knows.

Some of my AM flights seem to act as if the rising sun is confusing the front camera obstacle avoidance system at times as the odd flight seems always in the direction of the sun. Even had it stair-step downwards as viewed from the side into the sun (Forward, stop, drop. Forward, stop, drop. Etc.). I yaw it around 180 degrees and it seems better. Prop shadows on camera sensors? Dunno.
Weird. I guess I'll try flying from a couple other locations before sending it back for a replacement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.