Weird-*** reflections / lens flairs?

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my P4A+ but occasionally, I get inexplicable lens flairs / reflections in the video which I cant explain. I've attached three screen grabs from the video - pic1 and pic3 have the flair visible in the bottom right and bottom middle respectively and pic2 has no flair. The weird thing is that the flair seems to occur when the sun is behind the Phantom!

I would have expected something when the sun is in front of the craft (pic2) but there doesn't seem to be anything there! The flair / reflection moves around in the bottom third of the screen depending on the craft's orientation to the sun..

Settings: Cinelike, 2.5k@50 fps, WB set for sunny. Everything else is on auto.
Anyone have any ideas or experience of this?

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 206
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 208
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 185
I have exactly the same with my P4P! The flares seem to be about 180 degrees to the Sun (judging from the shadows, same case as yours), maybe not flares at all but actual reflections from the foliage/grass?

this is quite normal to see when in the air, when I used to go hangliding if you were closer to the ground you would see the shadow of the glider but higher up you would see exactly what your photo shows, if you watch it on video you will see it moving as you move

Reactions: OOO and JoBe
I'm very happy with my P4A+ but occasionally, I get inexplicable lens flairs / reflections in the video which I cant explain. I've attached three screen grabs from the video - pic1 and pic3 have the flair visible in the bottom right and bottom middle respectively and pic2 has no flair. The weird thing is that the flair seems to occur when the sun is behind the Phantom!

I would have expected something when the sun is in front of the craft (pic2) but there doesn't seem to be anything there! The flair / reflection moves around in the bottom third of the screen depending on the craft's orientation to the sun..

This is normal, though we still get people asking about it regularly. It's called Heiligenschein and it happens to all cameras when the sun is behind the camera.

Reactions: OOO and JoBe

You've discovered "the glory." If you flew this same path at the same time and conditions, but closer to the ground, you would likely see the shadow of your phantom in the center of the flare.

Reactions: OOO

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl