Waterproof your Phantom. Quite impressive.

I have the same question that someone asked on youtube about warranty. I would be more than happy to waterproof my phantom but if it doesn't work, who is left holding the broken phantom? netphreak maybe you can answer this one. I see on your site that you offer a 1 year warranty but what exactly does that mean? If I fly my phantom into the ocean and it stops working and it is within that 1 year, do you guys send me another phantom? Will this second phantom be waterproof? I assume any aftermarket things I've done to it will not be covered. Can you explain this end more? Also, is this only for new phantom purchases?

Reactions: panasonicdect
there is no price on that page, so i clicked order and got this message

"We are sorry to inform you that we can only accept orders with a minimum value of $1.00. To complete your order please purchase goods in excess of this value."

kinda hard to sell this potentially awesome service if your website doesnt work

Really impressive video of the swimming pool test. A little concerning that they don't show the salt water dunked model flying (only one prop seems to spin up).
Still everything I have seen about liquipel and other such tech is pretty amazing. I don't think i'd rely on it fully but a really nice saftey net.
All comes down to cost really though as others have said. From looking at their site it ain't gonna be cheap!

socman said:
netphreak said:
:cool: You don't wanna know how many phantoms we went through to get the right coating.

actually, i do want to know? =)

Me too :mrgreen:

cofl said:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9sZWm40Xno[/youtube]

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-te ... tment.aspx

How does it work?

You can have it applied to your existing “approved” mobile phone or tablet, or buy a new device that has already been treated before sale. Liquipel is the first to bring this type of nanotechnology to Australia, though other companies overseas are working on similar “superhydrophobic” processes. While Liquipel is first past the post in offering consumers a solution, you can expect others to not be too far behind in offering water protection for electronic devices over the next couple of years.

The have your own smartphone or tablet treated with Liquipel costs $99 per device. The process has a four-day turnaround, as the devices are sent away to Liquipel’s facility for treatment, after which your device should be “water safe”. The Liquipel website has a list of "approved" devices.

Liquipel’s carefully worded warranty cautions about not deliberately immersing treated devices or deliberately subjecting them to water. However, videos on Liquipel’s own website demonstrate an iPhone being completely submerged in water (and still functioning) as does video of the company’s stand at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show (CES), which you can find on YouTube. In its promotional literature Liquipel also cites "accidental contact with water - such as splashing or dropping into water..."
Our findings

So, we did our own full-immersion experiment in the CHOICE labs, dunking both our devices in a tub of water to see if they would be immune. Unfortunately, they weren't. Both devices malfunctioned almost immediately. And, despite being thoroughly drained and dried over several days, neither device recovered.**

Liquipel is obviously confident in its claims, providing samples of Liquipel-treated paper tissue with each device returned from treatment. We also subjected them to water to see how they held up. Initial results showed that the process appears to provide a certain amount of water repellency, but from the results we obtained with our electronic devices, obviously we can’t recommend this treatment.

For more information about mobile phones, see Phones and mobile devices.

**UPDATE: After several weeks of drying out and periodic re-checking, the iPhone has not recovered any useability at all. The iPad, however, has regained some functionality. The water markings on the inside of the display screen faded noticeably after about three weeks and the iPad appears to be mostly usable but the hardware Power/Sleep button at the top edge is still NOT working at all, so it can't be used to put the device to sleep, wake it up or shut it down completely. The workaround for the sleep/wake function is to use an Apple magnetic SmartCover or to enable the Assistive Touch software options under the Accessibility menu. This presents a software option onscreen that can be used to put the iPad to sleep. However, you can't use this to turn it off. So, for example, it couldn't be taken on a plane because electronic devices must be turned off completely for takeoff and landing.

I had heard of this technology a while back but even DSLR Pro's warranty statement is rather vague as is liquipel so I dont think they could possibly cover everyones replacements as the fail rate will be quite high. A promo video like the one above and also the ones by liquipel are quite misleading as they likely wont actually cover any damage if you were to do the exact same tests.

I go back to this same quote.

netphreak said:
:cool: You don't wanna know how many phantoms we went through to get the right coating.

Makes it pretty hard to put faith in the product unless they have perfected it to a point where they will guarantee against any water damage. The other way this may be possible is by simply making the price high enough to cover the replacement costs of many treated setups so they still make enough money assuming they factored in the fail rate accurately or basically refuse to cover most warranty claims.

Thats the thing though, have you guys perfected it to the point where you will guarantee replacement against any water damage?

Would you test each setup after treating to ensure it passes or would there not be enough faith in that, I would expect a video test showing my setup after treatment to show it actually works.

If not then what is the benefit of paying for the process if you pay for a service that comes with a disclaimer warning you to avoid the exact situations that the service is actually designed to save your setup from and used to sell the product in a very flashy promo video. If I paid for this service and the got water damaged I would consider the service a complete waste of time and money. I saw on another liquipel fail video on youtube that a liquipel guy responded saying they will provide a free treatment for his next device. Im sure if my first device got killed by relying on something that failed the last thing I would do is get this treatment on another device I had to buy to replace the original water damaged one.

The warranty question is really what needs to be addressed as this shows how confident of the product you guys are. Making a promotional video like that showing off the product is all good but would doing exactly the same test be covered for full replacement if water damage occurs under warranty. The choice tests and many others online show that the process can fail to meet the promo videos and so if its not a reliable solution that isnt fully backed by warranty I cant see why I would bother with it or risk selling it if I was you DSLR pros.

We have four or five in the office now that have survived multiple dunks, and the actual process isn't on sale yet. They are working on getting those terms together. Personally, I think the system is good for a quick splash... We're looking at adding a battery cutoff circuit to help the boards from shorting out if they do stay underwater. Once I get some more details, I'll let you know.

netphreak said:
We have four or five in the office now that have survived multiple dunks, and the actual process isn't on sale yet. They are working on getting those terms together. Personally, I think the system is good for a quick splash... We're looking at adding a battery cutoff circuit to help the boards from shorting out if they do stay underwater. Once I get some more details, I'll let you know.

I think it is awesome that you guys are doing this. I am curious about the cost and if this would essentially make it so that the Phantom is no longer user serviceable. Meaning you can't open the shell.

I like that you guys are looking into this, I just wouldn't want to pay for something that I cant rely on actually doing what is advertised. I look forward to seeing how it all ends up but surely the guarantee against water damage would need to be more then a vague line that doesn't clearly say what or how anything is covered. Any promo videos should clearly show what the user can expect performance wise and not have a video with a disclaimer basically saying do not repeat our promo shots as they dont indicate a guaranteed performance level.

Protect your investment with DSLRPros Watersafe Technology by Liquipel and never fear the deep end again!

Super-Hydrophobic Watersafe Technology can withstand limited exposure to any body of water***
Protect your Phantom from the elements (e.g. rain, snow, moisture condensate, mud, etc.)
1 Year Limited Water Damage Warranty***
Get in line now!

***IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

Prolonged and continuous submersion is not recommend. Although a Liquipel treated Phantom will withstand a short submersion of up to 3 feet in most liquid environments, operating (i.e., applying power) underwater can cause damage to ESCs and other power distribution circuity.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3pU0XKQZt4[/youtube]

I think the video would show deeper then 3ft and more then just a short submersion but thats where your guarantee*** and conditions are pretty vague especially when comparing to the promo video.

netphreak said:
I work in R&D, not sales... I have no idea about warranty information. Sorry guys.
eer, suggestion, if I may. Knock on the door of the sales office--and ask them :idea:

That was pretty crazy just shaking it and then flying right away from the pool after the plunge. Would have been even better to see it motoring around underwater like a James Bond car and then lifting off. Goofy, but impressive! Netphreak, does the process add much weight?

I've been interest in this process for a while. Currently I fly a p3a and over water footage is the primary reason I bought it. I put some custom cut pool noodles on the landing gear so it will float and I will have something to rebuild after a water (crash) landing but know from personal experience that the phantom's electronics generally will not survive a dunk. Escs are cheap but if the camera is damaged it will be time to start thinking about replacing not repairing.

Does the liqidpel service cover the camera and fpv system of the p3s? Why is there no price associated with this service?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik