Warning to prop guard users! ESC + Motor replacement help

Reaction score
Hi,

Been flying my Phantom for about 2 months now, all good with no major crashes! I then removed the prop guards and in a flash of intelligence put the long screws back onto the motor and damaged the stator wiring. I had the same problem as in this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1897 and am now up for 4 replacement motors and at least 1 ESC :(.

So anyway warning to the newbies: don't put the long screws from your prop guard back in!

I was wondering if anyone had advice on motor and ESC replacement. I have done some soldering, but am a bit worried about my skills damaging it more. Will it be easier and just as good to cut the wires and place crimped bullet connectors between the ESC and Motor as well as ESC to main board?

Thanks!

Re: Warning to prop guard users! ESC + Motor replacement hel

sfmpilot said:
Hi,

Been flying my Phantom for about 2 months now, all good with no major crashes! I then removed the prop guards and in a flash of intelligence put the long screws back onto the motor and damaged the stator wiring. I had the same problem as in this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1897 and am now up for 4 replacement motors and at least 1 ESC :(.

So anyway warning to the newbies: don't put the long screws from your prop guard back in!

I was wondering if anyone had advice on motor and ESC replacement. I have done some soldering, but am a bit worried about my skills damaging it more. Will it be easier and just as good to cut the wires and place crimped bullet connectors between the ESC and Motor as well as ESC to main board?

Thanks!
If you can't solder, you will be better off to splice. A new ESC does not have wires for the motor, just solder pads on the circuit board. You will need help on the new ESC.

Had the very same problem. In a total fit of stupidy I reused the same screws and ended up trashing the motors. Normally soldering isn't that big a deal - however on the Phantom it can be due to the extreme high temp solder used. I was able to remove the motors while waiting for the replacements only after cranking the solder station all the way to max heat. The first 2 motors went on okay the 3rd gave me some problems and the 4th was so hard I ended up melting the board (over heated the solder to the point it removed a small portion of the board). Having to do it all over again I'd either clip the wires and solder the new motors and heat wrap the connectors or I'd make sure I'd completely removed the small amount of solder used and use another type.

Yup. Did the same thing. Just ordered 4 new motors.

I've just gone and done this!!! I printed my own custom prop guard thinking i was saving a few dollars, but then wrecked the Dji's motors with the screws!!!

I've got 3 motors stuttering :( Do I have to replace the ESCs or just the motors?

hope some one can help.

Brakeboard said:
I've just gone and done this!!! I printed my own custom prop guard thinking i was saving a few dollars, but then wrecked the Dji's motors with the screws!!!

I've got 3 motors stuttering :( Do I have to replace the ESCs or just the motors?

hope some one can help.

Do the lights on the ESCs turn on? If you so they should be okay.

You probably do not have to replace the ESCs just the motors.

What I did was buy these: http://www.amazon.com/T-Motor-MN221...=1381112539&sr=8-1&keywords=dji+phantom+motor

I cut the original motor cables and left about two inches of wire on the ESC. I then soldered and wrapped in heat shrink the new motor wires. Worked like a charm. Make sure to keep track of your good motors.

You need heat shrink, heat gun, solder iron, resin, flux, solder iron cleaner (it looks like a kitchen scrubber and an ashtray.) Helping hands with magnifying glass to hold wires. If you go this route it will be a $250+ job to buy everything plus figure in about 2-3 hours of time.

Some advice when soldering:

1. Watch some Youtube videos on how to solder first.
2. Practice making some battery connectors first. Don't just jump right into repairing your Phantom without practice.
3. Use flux!
4. Put a towel or some sort of barrier between the wire and the Phantom. This will prevent anything falling onto the board. Think surgery where the doctor only has the part of skin he is working on exposed.
5. Use flux!
6. Let the solder iron heat up before working.
7. You need to do one wire then let the ESC cool down for a few minutes otherwise you will fry it.
8. Use flux!
9. Keep the soldering iron away from the plastic from of the Phantom.

Don't bother with a bullet connector. It will add too much weight. Also follow the instruction manual that comes with the T-Motors!

sfmpilot said:
Hi,

Thanks!

So does this mean that they are completely useless?? I cant believe I was too lazy to put the originals on and now its gonna be $200 for new ones...

I spend exactly the same, now I have 2 esc with no LED light, and 2 motors stuttering

I Buy on ebay 2 new ESC boards.

How I can know if the motors still work?

There is a risk that the motors damage the new ESC cards? :?:

chrislemanz said:
I spend exactly the same, now I have 2 esc with no LED light, and 2 motors stuttering

I Buy on ebay 2 new ESC boards.

How I can know if the motors still work?

There is a risk that the motors damage the new ESC cards? :?:

If the motors are shorting out (because the long screws were used) it will kill each ESC that is connected to it, the motor needs to be replaced!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4