WA bill on no drones near whales.

Reaction score
Proposed bill backed by 5 (D) reps in Washington state: WA HB1031 WA - HB1031

"BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1. RCW 77.15.740 and 2014 c 48 s 22 are each amended to4read as follows:
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, it is unlawful to:
(a) Cause a vessel, unmanned aerial system, or other object to8approach, in any manner, within two hundred yards as measured in any direction, including vertically, of a southern resident orca whale."

Guess the orcas have complained about drones now too so you may have to stay 600 feet away from them horizontally or vertically - like the FAA maintains 400 feet is sufficient airspace vertically, but the wise reps think 600 feet is better for the orcas.

One WA rep is also wanting to make flying a drone over anyone's property trespassing without their consent too. (WA HB1049) WA - HB1049

These people have gone mad.

You know, one of these days, all of us people who paid for and built and maintain this whole world are going to have to take it back from the leeches and piranhas which have taken it over,.

My son, a licensed ship captain who sails out of Seattle, says that it has been illegal according to federal law to get within 100 yards of all marine mammals since the 1970s. So this isn't a totally new idea. But it adds drones to the equation and extends the distance. I'm not sure why. . . It would be interesting to know the rationale behind the proposal. Context is everything when you are trying to understand reasons for changes in policies that attempt to protect wildlife and the environment.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

in Australia you cannot be 30m from people. But there is a rule station you must stay 300m horizontal from all whales/dolphins with you with drone. The fine is in excess of $100,000

in Australia you cannot be 30m from people. But there is a rule station you must stay 300m horizontal from all whales/dolphins with you with drone. The fine is in excess of $100,000

Really?? Where did you get that info from, are you able to provide a link please. I'm more frustrated how hard it is to find this kind of info than doubting you.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I would consider myself a "conservationist"... but I'd like to know how they think a whale is even aware of a drone 50 feet away, let alone 600 feet. Do they have some video evidence that they are being harassed or their behavior is being changed by a hovering drone?

This got me pretty irritated, so I fired off an email:

RE: HB-1031

Hello State Representatives Kristine Lytton, Joe Fitzgibbon, Mia Gregerson, Zack Hudgins, Jeff Morris, Larry Springer, Gael Tarleton,

I consider myself on the "conservation" side of the fence and have volunteered and participated in several marine conservation programs over the last many years of my life.

Simply put however, without fact based evidence I disagree with your support in amending HB1031 to include what I consider very over reaching restrictions on this much less obtrusive type of "whale watching" using small consumer drones.

Can you please forward me the evidence and information you have that:

#1) The whales (Orca's) are actually even aware of the presence of a small sUAS.
#2) If they are even aware of the presence of small sUAS's, did the presence of such a craft alter their behavior?

I totally get it that you want to protect marine mammals and I whole heatedly agree but I would consider "sUAS whale watching" much more friendly than a flotilla of boats crowding around a pod of whales. Have you considered that sUAS whale watching might even be a better alternative to the whale watching commercial boat flotillas? Furthermore what you are asking could impeding researchers by prohibiting them from using sUAS's for their job without inducing more red tape and permits.

Before you continue to support a bill that might sound good on the outside, please collect all the facts before adding further government bureaucracy to our system.

Thank you for your time and I would indeed like to see information that has been presented to you that shows we need these new restrictions.

Sincerely,
Mr. XXX
Registered voter and concerned citizen

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz and GMack

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20